Howdy from Los Angeles - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Howdy from Los Angeles

Hello there.

I'm a new 2009 Versys owner out of Los Angeles, CA. Just got it last week and had to wait for the rain to stop before I was able to take her out for any really fun riding. As far as I know I'm the only LA owner. I've never seen another Versys in the wild and my dealer tells me I bought the very first one they got. This is it's first year as California legal so it's not too surprising.

My previous bike was a 2006 Suzuki GS500F, which was my very first bike. She was a nice ride but I'd had it for about 3 years and figured it was time to move up to something more advanced. And the Versys is a great step up. The GS had a little flat spot around 8000 rpm where you'd give it more gas but it wouldn't go any faster. The Versys is so much smoother and practically linear. And it's nice to have a bike with bells and whistles like a clock and a fuel gauge and a passing trigger.

After cruising the board for a while I've already decided I need to work out a handguard situation and maybe a re-badging. Other than that I think I'll enjoy my Versys stock for a while.

-James

PS. Oh yeah,... she's blue.

Last edited by arcsecond; 12-29-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM

Hey James, congrats on the new bike! I bought one about a month ago and live out in the San Fernado Valley. I have a green one and put a Mikeshields windshield on and Cycra hand guards. Love the bike. Let me know if you run up to the Rock store and I'll see you up there. HB
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 PM

Congrats on the new bike James! I'm in Canada and had to chain the car up to get out on Xmas day, so enjoy your rides while some of us have to travel in cages!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 PM

Red face

Hey Bob & James,

well met! I just bought a green Versys today, Jan. 29, 2009. I haven't seen any on the road either. I live in Orange County (Newport Beach) but make frequent stints up to Hollywood and Santa Monica. Hope you see you two sometime!

I rode it home tonight and have just ordered the SW-Motech racks so I can outfit my Givi maxia topcase and PLX35 sidecases onto my new ride.

It's exciting to have a new bike - never down. I've bought used so often and there was always something wonky. This is cool!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Arc and Ron, welcome to the club. I bought my Green V right after x-mas. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your new rides out there on the left coast?

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsecond View Post
Hello there.

As far as I know I'm the only LA owner. -James

PS. Oh yeah,... she's blue.
I live in LA, but I store the V in NE. Does that mean that I'm a LA owner?

If so, then I bought the V before you did, in Nov '07. I just couldn't wait for the CARB silliness, especially since the V passed the stringent Euro 3 (?) emissions standard.

Peter
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocox View Post
Arc and Ron, welcome to the club. I bought my Green V right after x-mas. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your new rides out there on the left coast?
Thanks for the welcome!

I paid $ 7,400 OTD at Orange County Motorsports. Their original price was $7,800 OTD but they were willing to match another offer (Champion Motorsports here in Newport). I know it's a lot lower in states outside CA, and while it might not be the lowest for CA it seems okay to me for my state, and a lot better than what Del Amo Sports in Redondo Beach wanted on their tag: $ 8,800, or Mission Motorsports in Irvine: $ 8,???.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
psc

I am really shocked by these prices in CA.
Is this the combination of the CARB levy and the CA-superiority complex affecting such a mark up?!
On the other hand, at least in SoCal beach areas, I've not met a moto dealer that's not squidly or humble. So maybe the attitude reflects the pricing. One wonders how they stay in business...

Peter
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM

Mine was $7,500 otd. The tag was $7,099 plus fees like shipping ($535) and set-up ($435) and tax & license and docs ... I think the sales guy wrote down $9,000 + on his first assessment.

I said "nope".

Sales Tax is high in California, we pay 7.75% here in San Diego, I think it's 8% or higher in OC or LA. Plus the CA DMV tacks on a whole lotta fees.

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
psc

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
The tag was $7,099 plus fees like shipping ($535) and set-up ($435) and tax & license and docs
Sales Tax is high in California, we pay 7.75% here in San Diego, I think it's 8% or higher in OC or LA. Plus the CA DMV tacks on a whole lotta fees.
I understand about the tax/licensing fees. My beef is with the "The tag was $7,099 plus fees like shipping ($535) and set-up ($435)". The gouging is so apparent and uniform among all the local dealers that I'm about to buy all my bikes from out of state from now on.

Peter
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Yeah, it's expensive to live in this state.

Just had to provide the briefest of updates... man, it's easy to setup this thing.

I just spent a few minutes with the V and setup my electrical rig. It's the twistedthrottle gadget that uses a relay (mine is wired to the taillight) to power all the goodies (like my Zumo 550) only when the bike is running. What a breeze!

Last edited by RonNoc; 01-30-2009 at 03:17 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
psc

Oh man, the farkle fever has hit already? Have you checked out www.motowerk.com? Speedy's shop is in San Diego. You might just be able to ride down and pick up his very tasty bits. I mount my Zumo on his GPS plate, right on top of the clocks.

Peter
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 PM

arcsecond, welcome from a fellow SoCal Versys guy, even if its only for 3 or so months each year. I come down from Seattle area to Palm Desert to ride the San Bernardino Mts, was up there today and put on a couple of hundred new miles on those fantastic twisty roads.

Beginning of 74 in Palm heading over to coast or down to MX, some of my favorite riding in the US.

BTW, I paid close to $8000.00 for my V in Oct 07 from Bellevue Kawasaki, so you CA riders don't feel too hard done by.

Machog
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Is this the same stretch of road? http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&ie=U...,0.020621&z=16

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Is this the same stretch of road?
Yep, that's the one.

Plus there dozens and dozens of equally and some even better roads in the same area.

You can go straight down to Hemet on 74, an excellent road. Or fork right and go up through Anza, towards Romana, Pala et al and open up a whole new world of twisty roads with minimal traffic and reasonable surfaces. Its almost limitless.

You can take some of these roads to Mexico and then really get into some fun roads and fun little villages for lunch or overnight adventures. As a reminder you do need a passport these days!

Machog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode