Side cases vs. top case question? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Side cases vs. top case question?

Just became owner of 09 V with 500 miles on it. Have a BMW RT with side cases and a Givi monikey top case. Looking for advice for top case or side case for V. Primary reason is a place to store helmet while off the bike at work. Like side cases but do they make the V too wide? And does a top case affect handling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pric View Post
Just became owner of 09 V with 500 miles on it. Have a BMW RT with side cases and a Givi monikey top case. Looking for advice for top case or side case for V. Primary reason is a place to store helmet while off the bike at work. Like side cases but do they make the V too wide? And does a top case affect handling?
Do side cases make the V too wide? That's akin to your wife (or significant other) asking if the dress makes her look too fat. The safe answer is no, they don't make the V too wide, though too wide is relative of course.

I have the Givi V35 side cases and like them although if you have an XL or XXl helmet it probably won't fit. As far as width goes, I don't condsider them too wide at 38 inches, according to my tape measure. It's certainly not as wide as a V Strom with side cases - that qualifies as a hippo.

Can't offer any assistance with top cases. I'm not a fan of them. Puts too much mass too far back and too far up in my opinion, but that's merely my opinion. Some say they do affect handling; others say they don't and are quite pleased with their top cases. Have to admit that I do have the small BMW top case (along with BMW side cases) on my 93 K75S and, so far, so good.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I prefer topcase myself. When needed soft saddle bags also. I started with a Givi V-46 Topcase sold it and went with The Givi E-55 love the bigger case plenty of room to carry anything i need. Can't even tell the topcase is on the bike while riding and i run the twisties in the canyons all the time.

V-46 Topcase.

arril 004 by weljo2001, on Flickr

E-55 Topcase.

IMG_0002 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Cortech Tail Bag.

006 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi E-55 Topcase, Soft Saddle Bags, Saddlemens Bags, W/Cortech Tail Bag all used together.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Soft Saddle Bags.

IMG_1164 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Saddlemens Bag.

IMG_1169 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
From the point of view of functionality a top case is better IMO. Most will hold 1-2 helmets. They do add some additional weight up higher but I'm not sure how noticeable it is. I think side cases look better and keep the weight a bit lower but they cost a lot more, especially from the point of view of storage/$. Most also will not hold a helmet. I would recommend the aluminum SW-Motech rear rack as it replaces the heavy standard grab handles on the V for a negative weight gain. The Givi rack, which I have, is heavy steel and attaches to, rather than replaces, the heavy steel grab handles that come stock with the V. There is also a guy on this site who fabs his own design in aluminum for the V.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-05-2013 at 12:06 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 AM

Garage
I have the Givi Rack and removed the grab handles.The handles have nothing to do with the rack.

IMG_1492 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 AM

+1 on the topcase route. Plenty of room without the wide hips.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 AM

I'm running HT Owyhee panniers and a smaller top box on my trips. Just HTs and no top box around town. Nowhere to store helmet internally... But my panniers don't seem wide to me. They're on the bike 24/7.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My 09 with Givi 35s didn't seem wide until I put a cover on....that's another story
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Side cases vs. top case question?

now your choice is easy...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 PM

I have a Kappa K46 (similar in size to the E470) and the Givi V35s. The Kappa is always on the bike, and I love it. It easily holds my Hornet DS (large), and anything else I want to carry around. I rarely use the V35s, and they don't hold my helmet.

Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM

hilarious!

~you must be the change you wish to see in the world~Gandhi

~ride your heart out, that'll change something.~
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM

I have Givi V35s and like others they will not hold my helmet. As long as your aware and keep in mind that the saddlebags are the widest part of the bike its not an issue, ie don't try to go throw narrow openings.

For it is was a matter of personal choice.. I don't care for the looks of the Versys with a topbox. My opinion no offense to anyone that runs that way. I just like the look of the V35's with the matching trim.

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
For it is was a matter of personal choice.. I don't care for the looks of the Versys with a topbox. My opinion no offense to anyone that runs that way.
None taken. We all ride our own ride! When you getting a helmet to match?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM

I have Givi v35 panniers and Givi Maxia (E55?) topbox - bike handles fine even loaded up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	versys_pic.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	17466  

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
When you getting a helmet to match?
I kinda dig the year round Christmas spirit. Does anyone make one?

Landon
09 Verseys
06 KLX250s
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I kinda dig the year round Christmas spirit.
Good answer!

Quote:
Does anyone make one?
I am sure there are some green graphic helmets to go with Kawi green bikes!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Garage

Creative-Motorcycle-Helmets-8 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 PM

here's another vote for a topbox, especially since you already have one. the machine weighs 400#, plus you. the 20# on the rack isn't a big deal, you will not notice it. load it with sandbags, then you might have an issue, so don't do that.

Purificator, that vid is hilarious!

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am running the Givi V35s on my Versys. I strap on a dry bag when I need more luggage space.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Found a Givi monokey topcase rack for sale (on this forum). It fits great and my old Givi case (V-46) is the perfect size for my bike. Thanks everyone for the photos, feedback and Purificator-I absolutely loved the video. It was perfect timing to answer my question - thanks again. JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode