Hellos - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hellos

Hi fellow Kawasakians Lol
Just send the first post just joined yesterday I live in Tucson and last July 26, i purchased a new 2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 which is my first motorcycle ever. I am really enjoying my new moto, I had been looking for a new moto since getting my motorcycle endorsement a year and a half to two years ago. I had looked at the BMW GS650, a Tiger 800, test rode those then saw a 2010 kawk650 which rode liked the up right riding style which is very relaxing and decided after getting my monies together and ring out that BMW had scrapped the 650GS, that the Versys is the way to go plus the styling of the Versys is more finished it doesn't look like it is only for off road which is what the GS looks like. Don't get me wrong the GS does great in off road settings but most riders ride on road more than off and they like a more polished look to their motos I think, which is why I chose the Versys it just has a great look especially when all cleaned up. I am getting great mpg 52 in stop and go traffic, haven't figured exact highway mgh but went on. A road trip with two buddies to Tombstone, Az for breakfast. And the mileage was great. I do have one question though I have been looking on online trying to get answer for the stock tires I have which are Dunlop Sportmax D221s are they a rain tire as well as dry street?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

My stock tire didn't like rain much. I've had Michellin PR 3's on for the last 7000 miles. They're happy rain or shine...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBillz2 View Post
...I do have one question though I have been looking on online trying to get answer for the stock tires I have which are Dunlop Sportmax D221s are they a rain tire as well as dry street?
Yes, they are a 'rain-tire' as well as dry, tho' MOST of the people who ride a LOT of rain don't really like them in the wet. My AZ V pretty much NEVER saw any rain, though my BC one HAS. I mostly ride non-aggressively when it's wet, and they worked for me till worn out, then I replaced them w/ Continental ContiMotions which I liked. I've used several sets of the Contis between AZ and BC..., though now both are either ON or WILL BE ON Metzler Tourance rubber.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome and wore out those stock tyres in 8000km and have gone through different brands of tyres since but am on BT 023 's on both my bikes now and the versys has had a 2nd rear replaced and am very happy with those tyres riding in our 4 seasons in one day, used the same tyre on a versys on malaysia and it was fine riding around corners in very heavy rain.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Welcome!

I think that learning to ride focused and carefully in the rain holds more weight than the tires, although having cheap or worn tires change the variables greatly.

That said, and not meaning to start another tire thread, if you do a search on the forum you will probably find there are about a half a dozen tire brands and models that most of us prefer. Any one would do very good in both dry and wet weather.

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode