Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New owner from NC

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BCall 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a used 650LT and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I used to have an old '95 Suzuki GS500 and this is a huge upgrade.

#2 ·
:welcome:

#5 ·
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:

#8 ·
I ran into my first problem. All turn signals and the hazards have stopped working. Has this happened to anyone else? It's weird because all the signals and the indicator lights are not working. I checked the fuse and the bulbs but they all look good. I got a multimeter and checked the wiring to the relay. It's showing 1.2 A to the relay. So I checked the relay and it was showing 12.8V just like it says on the relay housing. Then I tested the current coming to the bulbs while the relay was attached and I only got .01 mA. So, I figure the relay needs to be replaced. But I didn't think those things go out that often. The bike only has 15050 miles on it. I have a dealer close by who said the relay is only $40 but I'm just surprised that happened. Thoughts?

#9 · (Edited)
Explain Relay

First it is confusing what you are saying in red, 1.2 amp to the relay. That is impossible to have if the lights are off. First, some meter technique . Amps are usually either AC or DC and usually have a special socket marked A and a common socket usually negative. Volts is usually sharing AC, DC and ohms. With the key on , go to the flasher relay, measure from ground to either side of the relay, you should have battery voltage, disconnect one wire, one of those two is live, identify the colour and post. Next key off, using ohms, measure the resistance of the flasher relay. Post your results

I included a photo of my 3 wire electronic flasher. The OEM is just left of the auxiliary relay. In my photo it is top left angled forward. One thing I would put money on, if you have the 12 volts at the flasher, you may have lost your frame ground for the signal lights.

So is your tail light and brake light working? You say your signals don't work . If you lived close by I would give you my OEM, I replaced with a 3 wire adjustable flasher for $4. That relay isn't worth $40. To prove that is the problem, short out the contacts, all the switching is on the bars, the relay only provides the flash part. This is what I have, very easy to convert, you add a ground, about 10 inches of wire to the nearest frame ground. I provided a link for the photo, this is the one I have in operation just sourced it differently. Note it is $10, your OEM is about $4, https://www.amazon.com/Flasher-Rela...justable+3+wire+flasher&qid=1590947366&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/HUIQIAODS-Ad...justable+3+wire+flasher&qid=1590947574&sr=8-4

#11 ·
onewizard... thank you for the help.

I just saw your reply but I can't see the pictures. All my flashers are out and flasher indicators on the instrument panel are out, even when I press the hazard switch. But the tail and brake lights are working. The relay only has two connections and testing both with key on gives the 12.8 V. With the relay connected I tested the current going to the bulbs and it read 0.01mA so I replaced the relay. Testing just the old relay comes to 0 Ohms so I replaced it and the new one reads 12.2 kOhms. I can try to find the ground wire to the relay but with only two prongs, I'm not sure where to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.