Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2018 Valves Inspection

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  17A 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Guys;
So I'm at 24,000 kms on my 2018 650 Se and it says it's time to have the valves checked and brake fluids changed.

Set up an appt with my dealer a couple of hours away and they say it will take 6 - 7 hours (Also having rear tire replaced), so it will be an expensive day.

Has anyone had their valves checked and found any issues at that mileage. My bike starts, runs and sounds perfect.

Would you guys have the work done (Valves and Brake fluid) or just have the tire changed?

#2 ·
I would have it all done. The brake fluid likes to absorb water, which then corrodes the insides of the braking system. It is a safety issue and you should change brake fluid per the manual.

The valves do need to be done too. You can put it off for a little while but your motor needs them to be properly adjusted to run well. A lot of owners report the first time the adjustment is pretty big but after that they don't change so much if at all. So the first interval seems to be the important one.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome.

By all means, do it. If you neglect the brake fluid the ABS unit may fail. It has happened on several Connies. very expen$$$$ive.

If you neglect the valves the engine will run fine until it(probably) doesn't. At that point you would need new valves and probably a head.

I first checked my valves at 12k miles. One exhaust was a touch below minimum, two were at minimum, one was very close.

Tell the shop that you insist on the valves being set at the maximum clearance and also request the shim map.

I've checked my valves at 34k and again at 56k miles and they have not moved since the original adjustment. My bike does not see too many easy miles. To wit: I'm half way through my 13th rear tire at 69,500 miles.

You also should consider changing the coolant.

What part of eastern ON? We have good riding friends that live in the booming metropolis of Winchester, south of Ottawa.

#6 ·
So I had my Valves inspected this week @ 24000 kms. No Adjustment Nessessary, they were in spec. Brake system flushed and fluid changed. Near Rear Tire installed. (Dunlop Roadsmart III). I had new plugs installed also. They were replaced at 15000 Kms along with the Air filter, but since everything was apart anyway they put new ones in. Good for another 25000 kms now. Bike runs awesome. All this was pricey at just under $1000.00 Cad but cheaper than an expensive breakdown and gives good piece of mind.

Attachments

#7 ·
Mine is due for valve check/inspection as well. I always have them checked and like you replace fluid/plugs/air filter while having that done.

Part of me always wonders because the service is so expensive, how much does it cost to replace the valves and head if you just let it go.....

Cheaper than a couple valve checks? I always wonder lol.

#9 ·
...Part of me always wonders because the service is so expensive, how much does it cost to replace the valves and head if you just let it go.....

Cheaper than a couple valve checks? I always wonder lol.
IF you "let-it-go" you'll probably get contact between a valve and a piston, which will USUALLY grenade your engine.

That co$t is why quite a few of us "do our own" valve checks.

:goodluck:

#12 ·
I didn't have valve inspect (only 12 000km), but here is my last service:

I book an appointment for service, and I just leave motorbike and papers, and I go to city, come back after 3-4 hours and I pay and I go home.
Average the service takes 2 hours, but this last was 3 hours (I was all time in service because of Covid I didn't wish to be in city where are a lot of people)
Last service at 12 000km, it was before almost 1 month, and this is a list what is done/check on my 2018 V650:

Motorcycle Service Checklist:

Engine oil and filter - change
Throttle control system and idle speed - inspect
Engine vacuum synchronisation - inspect/adjust
Fuel hose and pipe (condition, lekage, damage and instalation) - inspect
Cooling system (level, leakage, hose instalation and condition) -inspect
Air suction system - inspect
Clutch operation / adjustment - inspect
Wheel and tyre (condition, wear, damage and pressure) -inspect
Wheel bearing damage - inspect
Drive chain and guide - inspect / lubricate / adjust
Brake system (operation, pedal free play, fluid level, pad and lining wear, hoses and light) -inspect
Front forks / rear shock absorber oil leak and operation - inspect
Steering play - inspect
Electrical system (operation of switches and lights, headlight aim) -inspect
Chassis parts - lubricate (probably 15 minutes service guy walk around motorbike and lubricate many places and many stuff)
Bolts, nuts , fasteners tightness - inspect
Brake fluid - changes

This is on the bill: (I convert my currency to USD)
Oil filter - 10.53$
Washer - 0.47 $
Engine oil MOTUL5100 15W50 2.1L -23.4$ (I am 99% sure that they use Motorex 15W50 because I was 2 meter from him when he change oil, why they write Motul I don't know maybe mistake, and service at 1000km, and at 6000km they use Motorex 15W50)
Brake fluid DOT 5.1 Brembo - 200ml - 2.05$

Paid amount - 36.42$
The work of a serviceman - 2.9hours - 78$
Total - 114$
25% VAT - 28,52$
Total to pay - 143,05$

It was more than I expected, but what can I do, the service has to be done and that’s it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.