New member and some questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member and some questions

Hi,

Great forum, it's been very helpful with advice on accessories, fixes etc. I'm Marijn from the Netherlands and I ride a 2015 Versys 650 GT. I've ridden it all the way to Norway and I'm planning on going to Spain in a few months.

My questions: I dropped bike on its left-hand side the other day and due to that I discovered two things - I wonder if they are normal:

1. The side stand, when extended enough that the spring doesn't pull it up, stays in whatever position you put it in, even if that's not fully extended. Is this normal? On my other bike, the spring also snaps it to the fully extended position if it's past the halfway point.

2. The left-hand (i.e. shifter side) foot peg seems tightly attached, but it can turn (in the same axis as the rear wheel turns). Not fully around, but let's say 20 degrees in total. I haven't taken the peg mount off but I did find photos on here of the mounting system and it seems that if the lip that's supposed to keep it from turning was broken, I'd be able to completely spin it around...
Marijn Kentie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
1) It sounds like the hinge needs some lube.

2) Sounds broken. Mine don't rotate at all. The footpeg mounting plates are a weak point for an adventure bike imho. They are aluminum or some other cheap metal, not a tough steel. I've broken off a footpeg in a tipover. Actually while rotating the bike when it was already on its side to get it positioned to pick it up. The part of the plate where the footpeg attaches broke off. I rode home with Vice Grip pliers clamped on as a footpeg!
jaaklucas likes this.
Fly-Sig is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,834
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

onewizard is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,349
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijn Kentie View Post
Hi,
1. The side stand, when extended enough that the spring doesn't pull it up, stays in whatever position you put it in, even if that's not fully extended. Is this normal? On my other bike, the spring also snaps it to the fully extended position if it's past the halfway point.

2. The left-hand (i.e. shifter side) foot peg seems tightly attached, but it can turn (in the same axis as the rear wheel turns). Not fully around, but let's say 20 degrees in total. I haven't taken the peg mount off but I did find photos on here of the mounting system and it seems that if the lip that's supposed to keep it from turning was broken, I'd be able to completely spin it around...
Neither of my V650s ('08 and '15) do EITHER, so NOT NORMAL for me.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!



Neither of my V650s ('08 and '15) do EITHER, so NOT NORMAL for me.
So to double check, if you almost, but not quite, extend your kickstand it springs to the fully extended position?
Marijn Kentie is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: E SF Bay
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
'15 Versys 650 GT? I have a '15 V650 LT, and am not sure of the difference. The LT comes with hard saddlebags (and ABS brakes maybe?).

Anyway, my bike does both those things. I always make sure the kickstand is fully down before getting off the bike so yes, the hinge probably needs a little oil. The left step does rotate about 20 degrees, I believe to accommodate foot movement when shifting and is normal.
brwster is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Doug Just Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The left foot peg on my 2015 has always been able to rotate a bit. Even after I changed to SW-Motech wide foot pegs, it still does it. Doesn't seem to be a problem though so I ignore it. I've checked the torque on the mount bolt and it's OK.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l.

Shoodaben ECU reflash; SW-Motech luggage rack, side racks, cases, foot pegs & GPS shelf; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; RKA tank bag; Nat'l Cycle windscreen; Givi hand guards; BMW grips; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; full decalectomy.
Doug Just Doug is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
aboard and hope you solve your problem.

Meanwhile if you can post some pictures will be good to make a call and assist you.
Fastoman is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwster View Post
'15 Versys 650 GT? I have a '15 V650 LT, and am not sure of the difference. The LT comes with hard saddlebags (and ABS brakes maybe?).

Anyway, my bike does both those things. I always make sure the kickstand is fully down before getting off the bike so yes, the hinge probably needs a little oil. The left step does rotate about 20 degrees, I believe to accommodate foot movement when shifting and is normal.
The GT comes with saddlebags, top case, fog lights and the gear indicator. Anyway, thanks for the info on the left step. Strange that it turns for some people and not for others.
Marijn Kentie is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 02:10 AM
Member
 
jaaklucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
1) I've broken off a footpeg in a tipover. Actually while rotating the bike when it was already on its side to get it positioned to pick it up. The part of the plate where the footpeg attaches broke off. I rode home with Vice Grip pliers clamped on as a footpeg!
Ok, we have a frontrunner in the 2020 Okie Engineering award. Well done McGiver!
Fly-Sig likes this.
jaaklucas is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,349
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijn Kentie View Post
So to double check, if you almost, but not quite, extend your kickstand it springs to the fully extended position?
I just checked on my '08 - the sidestand will NOT "spring[s] to the fully extended position" by itself, but it WILL go back to fully-closed (UP) from about 30 to 40 degrees from fully retracted (UP). In fact it will STAY at whatever position I set it BEYOND about 30 to 40 degrees from fully retracted (UP) which might include NOT enough to hold the bike from falling, but I've been (USUALLY) consistent at swinging it to FULL DOWN before getting off the bike [cough, cough, ].


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,349
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
The left foot peg on my 2015 has always been able to rotate a bit....
The 'pegs on my Gen 1 ('08) do NOT "rotate a bit".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I just checked on my '08 - the sidestand will NOT "spring[s] to the fully extended position" by itself, but it WILL go back to fully-closed (UP) from about 30 to 40 degrees from fully retracted (UP). In fact it will STAY at whatever position I set it BEYOND about 30 to 40 degrees from fully retracted (UP) which might include NOT enough to hold the bike from falling, but I've been (USUALLY) consistent at swinging it to FULL DOWN before getting off the bike [cough, cough, ].

Thanks for checking.

As requested, here's a picture of the extent to which the foot peg can turn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	167697  
Marijn Kentie is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 PM
Member
 
Doug Just Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The 10 x 25 mount bolt for the footpeg also serves as the pivot bolt for the shifter, and there's no lockwasher. I wonder if some came off the assembly line looser than others. Could be a Gen3 or maybe only 2015 issue.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l.

Shoodaben ECU reflash; SW-Motech luggage rack, side racks, cases, foot pegs & GPS shelf; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; RKA tank bag; Nat'l Cycle windscreen; Givi hand guards; BMW grips; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; full decalectomy.
Doug Just Doug is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:35 PM
Member
 
Doug Just Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijn Kentie View Post
Thanks for checking.

As requested, here's a picture of the extent to which the foot peg can turn.
Mine is about the same, maybe a few degrees of rotation less. I have to twist it pretty hard by hand to get it to rotate, it never rotates in normal use that I've ever noticed.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l.

Shoodaben ECU reflash; SW-Motech luggage rack, side racks, cases, foot pegs & GPS shelf; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; RKA tank bag; Nat'l Cycle windscreen; Givi hand guards; BMW grips; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; full decalectomy.
Doug Just Doug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome