New guy from Montana - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New guy from Montana

Hello, All!

New guy here, but old guy everywhere else. 63yo. Bought my first bike, a CZ400, in 1977. I'd ridden before then, so it wasn't too overwhelming. Spent some years racing mx and all kinds of off road, riding 3 wheelers, big road bikes, and small road bikes.

Haven't had a bike for about the last 13 years and now have the itch again. Visited the local shops over the past 2 days with my last stop being the Kawi dealer. Found the Versys 300, which was an unknown model to me until the sales guy pointed it out after we discussed my needs. I didn't ride it due to weather, but plan on going back. Loved it standing still.

Came home and found this site for possible modding. You'll most likely be seeing me around!
Duffy and foxpro like this.
Montanastan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,873
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
weljo2001 is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks weljo2001!
Montanastan is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,362
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
aboard.
Fastoman is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
63? Your a youngster aint you?Never too old to enjoy two wheels. I am 68 going on 69 in May. Ill be heading your way as soon as the weather allows it.I am in Eastern Washingon and figured I better take a week or maybe a month long trip this year before I get too old to do it.Ill be heading thru Idaho, Montana to Utah and Arizona.Then over to Caliornia to ride Hwy 1 back to the PNW Portland area then back over to the east side and home.Ill wave at you when I go by.Enjoy the Versys they are a great scooter.

Smooth is fast.
foxpro is online now  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
aboard.
Thank you!
Montanastan is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpro View Post
63? Your a youngster aint you?Never too old to enjoy two wheels. I am 68 going on 69 in May. Ill be heading your way as soon as the weather allows it.I am in Eastern Washingon and figured I better take a week or maybe a month long trip this year before I get too old to do it.Ill be heading thru Idaho, Montana to Utah and Arizona.Then over to Caliornia to ride Hwy 1 back to the PNW Portland area then back over to the east side and home.Ill wave at you when I go by.Enjoy the Versys they are a great scooter.
You'll have a nice ride if the weather's good. You coming through NW Montana? Ever been through Glacier Park? If not, I highly recommend it. May is too early for Going to the Sun Road, though.
Montanastan is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard.

400 CZ I had a 71. Great bike for it's time.

Spent lots of time in Montana on my last job. White Fish, Kalispell, Columbia Falls, Glacier Park, Flathead Lake, Missoula, Deer Lodge, Anaconda, Butte, Great Falls, etc.

Where are you at?

Beautiful country in the summer. Too cold for this California boy in the winter.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is online now  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 11:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Glascier will have to wait for another ride I am afraid,I dont want to be in Arizona when its 130 LOL. I have been all over Montana,If I could talk my wife into it I would be living there as we speak.

Smooth is fast.
foxpro is online now  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 3,329
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sixty-three? Ah, another spring chicken - says the age 75 youth typing this. My advice is to go for it and enjoy every moment you have for as long as you are able.

I'd been away from two wheels for a number of years until my bride took me to Cozumel for my 60th birthday (a few years ago now as it happens). We rode scooters around the island and the ball started rolling once again. We returned home and bought a pair of small scooters. Since then we've had two maxi-scooters, and eight motorcycles, four of which we still own and ride.

My father-in-law used to tell me I'd kill myself on a motorcycle and my reply was in my opinion that's better than slowly fading away while watching TV all day in my underwear. I wonder why that upset him?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,451
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Welcome aboard.

400 CZ I had a 71. Great bike for it's time.

Spent lots of time in Montana on my last job. White Fish, Kalispell, Columbia Falls, Glacier Park, Flathead Lake, Missoula, Deer Lodge, Anaconda, Butte, Great Falls, etc.

Where are you at?

Beautiful country in the summer. Too cold for this California boy in the winter.
You've seen quite a bit of the state.

I'm currently working in Kalispell. Have lived in the Yaak, Troy, Whitefish, Martin City, up in the North Fork, Missoula, and Ovando.

We haven't had any really cold weather this winter, but they're calling for single digits this Friday night.
Montanastan is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpro View Post
Glascier will have to wait for another ride I am afraid,I dont want to be in Arizona when its 130 LOL. I have been all over Montana,If I could talk my wife into it I would be living there as we speak.
I've been in summertime Arizona! Brutal.
Montanastan is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Sixty-three? Ah, another spring chicken - says the age 75 youth typing this. My advice is to go for it and enjoy every moment you have for as long as you are able.

I'd been away from two wheels for a number of years until my bride took me to Cozumel for my 60th birthday (a few years ago now as it happens). We rode scooters around the island and the ball started rolling once again. We returned home and bought a pair of small scooters. Since then we've had two maxi-scooters, and eight motorcycles, four of which we still own and ride.

My father-in-law used to tell me I'd kill myself on a motorcycle and my reply was in my opinion that's better than slowly fading away while watching TV all day in my underwear. I wonder why that upset him?
Figure I better get a bike and do some more riding before it's too late.

Scootering around Cozumel sounds like a blast!
Montanastan is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!
Montanastan is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,451
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanastan View Post
...I'm currently working in Kalispell. Have lived in the Yaak, Troy, Whitefish, Martin City, up in the North Fork, Missoula, and Ovando....
I TOO have ridden a lot of Montana when I was in Alberta. A FAVE is Hwy 89 from St Marys S to E Glacier, but it's OPEN RANGE, so watch out!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I TOO have ridden a lot of Montana when I was in Alberta. A FAVE is Hwy 89 from St Marys S to E Glacier, but it's OPEN RANGE, so watch out!
Montanastan is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 11:04 PM
Member
 
hawkerjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fresno aka Shake & Bake California
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I TOO have ridden a lot of Montana when I was in Alberta. A FAVE is Hwy 89 from St Marys S to E Glacier, but it's OPEN RANGE, so watch out!
When I see range cattle the only question I have is...are they long or short range cattle
jaaklucas likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
hawkerjet is online now  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 8,169
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

onewizard is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Montanastan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
When I see range cattle the only question I have is...are they long or short range cattle
Get both.
Montanastan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome