Just got a versys and broke the hell out of it - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tv1000s
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just got a versys and broke the hell out of it

I got a Versys 650 09 last summer very happy with the bike got a great deal on it. It had some issues, needed a new front tire, blown fork leg (compression side) and chain was loose as hell but like i said great deal. i was coming home from work and guy in front of me stopped short i grabbed the breaks and the front dived because of blow fork and lost the front because of bald tire the chain slipped of the back sprocket and broke the engine case leaking oil all over.(all could have been prevented if i was not so lazy.) Great right?
I swapped engine out for a 2019 ninja 650. I am in the process of bolting everything together just waiting on some plastics, new chain, i bought the Andreani fork cartridges and fork seals and bushing i am also doing the r1 shock conversion, Ducati radial master cylinder front (had it from another project), upper triple tree brace from a 14 Versys 650 (rubber mounted and cooler looking)and fat bars. Wish me luck
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by tv1000s; 02-27-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:16 AM

Garage
Are you OK?

How is the rebuild going? Is that Ninja engine just a simple swap?
What Andreani kit did you get for the forks?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Since you're rebuilding it into something a little cooler instead healing, the accident was a gateway to a grand project. Keep us in the loop of the progress.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.htmlplease read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks ( FYI I have this saved in my messages, every new member gets this , 1, two or even 3 post new members,

FYI you have found a extremely active and knowledgeable forum. so 2 posts or more )
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i banged my leg up a little. I have a harley xr1200 that i am building wire wheels for and the front hub i think could be used for the versys with some lathe work you can pick up the whole wheel spokes and 19" rim for around $140 with a little machine welding and machine work you could have a cheep wire front wheel for the versys my only issue is the rear wheel is there any bolt on option for a rear wheel for the versys maybe from a klr or a versys 300"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv1000s View Post
i banged my leg up a little. I have a harley xr1200 that i am building wire wheels for and the front hub i think could be used for the versys with some lathe work you can pick up the whole wheel spokes and 19" rim for around $140 with a little machine welding and machine work you could have a cheep wire front wheel for the versys my only issue is the rear wheel is there any bolt on option for a rear wheel for the versys maybe from a klr or a versys 300"
Yes several options https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-versys-4.html
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
ABOARD. Some report on your progress with the engine swap, with pictures please.
jaaklucas likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just finished fixing my Aprilia atlantic 500 03 i got his by a car (the insurance money is what i bought the versys with) i had to replace all but one peace of plastic. The big problem is that the aa500 was not a big seller so body parts are hard to find Aprilia don't make anymore and i have to get parts from all over the world in different colors. I sprayed everything white and just got everything together still have the front fender and top case to paint i will paint when i change out front forks (blown and so is the rear) i cant complain the aa500 was free and i only have about $400 in it even with new shock and forks and plastics and voltage regulator I have not even done a oil change yet. I will be working on the versys this weekend the motor is in and harness is hooked up i will be putting the body work back on and mounting as much new stuff as i can. my biggest problem is i am doing all of this outside in the Bronx NYC and it is cold as hell. i had to come in every few min just to warm up and it is going to be in the 30s this weekend.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 06:15 AM

Garage
Hey, I've got an XR1200X in white hot denim in my garage :-)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
cool i have the xr apart as well. putting all kinds of new parts. I did the vance and hines front forks and rear shocks. best thing i could have done for that bike as the stockers were shot as well as stearing damper and top tripple tree and riser and fat bars as well as brembo 19/20 radial master cylinder. I have a harness made up for the single wiring and a trailtech dash as well as mt03 led headlight i should have it done by the start of. summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode