Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kawasaki Versys 650. Good Starter Bike?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to riding and want a bike that will last me. I don't want to have to keep upgrading due to outgrowing the bike. Is the 650 tame enough to start riding on but powerful enough to keep me interested?

Thanks for your input!

#2 ·
Some folks would probably say yes, I would tend to say no.

IMO (and everything is just opinion) most folks would be better off buying a cheaper, lighter, less powerful (and used) bike first. Most folks I've ever talked to, including MSF instructors advise assuming that you will keep your first bike 1-2 years. After that, not only will you be able to handle a bigger, heavier, more powerful bike, but you will have a much better idea of what type of bike you like.

The Versys 650 is relatively tall and heavy compared to what you will learn on at a MSF class (most likely a 250cc of some sort). If you are 6 foot 6 and 275 pounds, that's a different story. You might need 650cc just to move you, and a 33 inch seat height just to not feel like I feel on a Grom.

But in general, you will find a lighter ADV or DS bike much easier to learn "ADV riding" on - stuff like power slides, spin turns, riding on sand, etc.

That said, I don't think a noob on a Versys 650 is likely to kill themselves in the first week like they would on a Ninja H2, but you might find it a less than optimal learning experience. 1 to 2 year old Versys 300s are plentiful and relatively cheap, and IMO make an excellent first bike, and finding a buyer if you outgrow it should be easy.

My .02

dm

#3 ·
There are two ways this will go down for you. You will either love the sport and will be a rider for many years. Or this will be a short lived adventure for you. Either way, only you will determine what's best for you. Personally, I would say the V650 or something similar would be a great bike for you to hone your skills on. Because you will buy something around 400cc and quickly outgrow the thing. I would strongly encourage that part of the funds you have budgeted. Also includes buying some quality entry gear! If you havent done so already. That protects you head to toe. Don't purchase new. Unless, its a screaming deal. Find a gently used example that fits your budget if you can. I purchased my 2016 V650lt with many extras, with 3k miles for $5k. Then purchased my 2015 V1K most recently, with just 3.5k miles for $6.2k. Not bragging, but driving the point home to purchase used if you can. Deals are out there that will not break the bank. No matter what machine you want. Just stay patient and enjoy the ride.

#4 ·
If you are new to riding , better to star on 250cc bike to get the feel of riding first and the risk involved in it. I stared 90cc then went to 150cc to 250 cc and finally 650 Versys.

But if you are young and big build the Versys can be your bike as its heavy and tall but handle well and a very forgiving bike. if you having riding buddies, talk to them and they should be able to guide you.

Finally , you should think hard and make the final call as biking is dangerous. wish you well and :goodluck:

#5 ·
I am going to have to start out by saying IT DEPENDS.

It depends on why you are getting into riding.
It depends on what skills you already have and bring to this sport.
It depends on whether you are an adrenaline junkie.
It depends on how tall you are, how much you weight, etc.
It depends on where you live and what type of roads are nearby.
It depends on how physically strong you are because a tip over may happen.
It depends on how much two up riding you plan on doing.
It depends on whether you hope a bike will attract girls.

Growing out of a bike is a personal thing. Your newfound riding friends will probably try and talk you into something larger, but you have to decide for yourself what works for you. I have a 200cc Suzuki Van Van that I am having a blast on. There is an advantage to smaller and lighter that those who can keep their egos in check will find very enjoyable.

Take the MSF course, Find a nice used bike at a decent price and in a year or two you can sell it for not much loss compared to buying new and go test ride as many bikes as you can to figure out what you really want.

#6 ·
I agree with all of twowheeladdict's "it depends" statement and with the recommendation you take the MSF Basic Rider Course.

I also agree with the recommendations that you consider as your first motorcycle a lightly used bike in the 250 cc range. There are a bunch of good choices including Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW. Although my bride and I aren't new riders (I've been riding since the early 60s and my better half since the mid 70s) our small fleet includes a Suzuki TU250X and a BMW G310R both of which we thoroughly enjoy. They're light, maneuverable, sip fuel, and aren't costly to register or insure, and both are great fun on back roads. Our other machines are bigger, heavier, burn more fuel, and are more costly to own, operate and insure.

My two cents and opinions, nothing more.

#7 ·
Me thinks some of the previous posters have made a really good point - it is a rookie mistake to assume "bigger is always more fun". The reality is that motorcycles are purpose-built machines (I would argue that in the case of HD, the purpose is purely to project a certain image). There's lots of highly experienced riders I know that have gone and bought something like a Grom as a second or third bike. That size and weight of a bike can simply be a blast to ride in urban environments. Something that weighs 800 pounds, not so much. A 250-500cc DS bike can be perfect for a weekend run on a highway that ends at your fav offroad vehicle area, but would not be nearly as much fun for riding 600 miles/day on an interstate.

-dm

#11 ·
How many Harleys have you ridden?

Is this the kind of image you are talking about?

or maybe this?

or possibly this?

What kind of image are you projecting to others with your choice in ride and gear?

What kind of image would you say I am projecting with my Harley other than that I have ridden in every state in the lower 48 and some of Canada?

Attachments

#9 ·
My Versys 650 is my first bike ever. I didn't have chance to test ride them in my country or any other which I wish to test before buying. Only motorbike which I ride was Yamaha Mt07 in driving school.
I have scooter zip piaggio 50cc which i ride 10 years, and make 20 000 km (with Versys 650 I make 11 000km in 6 months :) )
I don't know how much video and other stuff I look and read to see which motorbike is best for me.
My solution was between this 3 bike. Vstrom 650, Tracer 700, and Versys 650.
I choose Versys 650 because of : Enough power,motorbike reliability, seating position ,tank size , availability of service and price, registration and insurance costs,maintenace, extra parts , comfort (many youtube video say that it is better than yamaha Tracer 700), also I test them only by sitting on them in shop, to see how comfort is he.

It cost me enough but I will never regret buying it.

#10 ·
:welcome: aboard!

FWIW - I began riding in '63 on a Triumph Thunderbird 650, which weighed 398 pounds, w/ about 30 HP. The Triumph Bonneville weighed the SAME, w/ 40 HP and was considered an EXPERTS ONLY motorcycle.

The Versys 650 weighs about 450 pounds, w/ around 63 HP, and is sold as a 'beginners' bike. Times (and OPINIONS) change.

My advice would be to start w/ a used LIGHTER bike, then 'move-up' when you're more experienced. You'll PROBABLY 'drop' your bike a few times - it's EASIER to lift something light, and to NOT get scratches on your NEW bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.