Versys 650 in Dublin - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile Versys 650 in Dublin

Hi,
New to this forum.
Have bought a Kawasaki versys 650 white 2016 a month ago and have been commuting to work with it since.
general look of the bike
the need exhaust tucked under the engine
good space for pillion
adjustability

not so much:
power... wished it was a 800cc
the engine brake when letting the accelerator back... too instant
exhaust far too quiet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Some changes I'm looking to see if possible to do with this bike:
1- change from one to using the 2 headlights in sync for main beam and high beam instead of one for main and the other for High beam
2- how easy/hard it is to change the exhaust to an OEM - standard one far too quiet in traffic :-(
3- change the gear lever to a longer one - is it possible where to find a longer replacement.
4- how to adjust the engine break when slowing down on the accelerator... this is bad as standard as it is too powerful instead of being softer and letting the bike slowing down more progressively when decelerating.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.htmlplease read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks

Your list, the last is a new flash which makes a huge difference.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxfr View Post
3- change the gear lever to a longer one - is it possible where to find a longer replacement....
IF you have a welding shop near you, go there and discuss getting the lever cut, then a longer bit welded in.

Quote:
4- how to adjust the engine break when slowing down on the accelerator... this is bad as standard as it is too powerful instead of being softer and letting the bike slowing down more progressively when decelerating.
Read the thread about getting your FCU "flashed" by Steve in Sunny Fl.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Some changes I'm looking to see if possible to do with this bike:
1- change from one to using the 2 headlights in sync for main beam and high beam instead of one for main and the other for High beam
2- how easy/hard it is to change the exhaust to an OEM - standard one far too quiet in traffic :-(
3- change the gear lever to a longer one - is it possible where to find a longer replacement.

#4- I felt the same about my 2016 when I first got it. The Shoodaben ECU Flash not only removes the sudden engine braking, it makes the bike have more usable power throughout the power band. The bike pulls cleanly and strong all the way from 2000 rpm. Completely changes the character of the engine for the better. I no longer wish for a larger engine.Truly, you will be amazed at the difference!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Hi Onewizard, thx for the welcome. Does my second post with my list not count as a second post? not sure what you mean there... Cheers
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Cool, hum that sounds amazing indeed Buffalo_bob,
that problem is not so bad once you're moving but in traffic when you're still in 1st or 2nd gear at low speed it is pretty bad.
Need to read more about this ECU update...

re the gear lever hum... is there not a longer one that exist we can simply reply the original with?

Thx all for your feedback already :-)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

and now I need to see how to adjust the hight and direction of the headlights...
I changed the bulb on the main beam to a more powerful one few weeks back and no issues since then... But now that the mornings and evenings are darker earlier it seems I am lighting up too much other drivers on incoming traffic and the car ahead too. So it seems I need to lower the beam and direct it more to the left (Yeah driving on the wrong side here in Ireland lol).
From the manual it seems I can adjust them with some screws but doesn't say much how to access these screws... feels like I'm gonna have to take out the entire front head of the bike where the headlights are to access these screws ??? Anyone done this before?

What I don't get is how they became so offset quickly as they were fine before... changing a bulb should change that at all ???
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Onewizard, thx for the welcome. Does my second post with my list not count as a second post? not sure what you mean there... Cheers
aboard.

You are done with your second post and by now you should be a full member.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Cool, hum that sounds amazing indeed Buffalo_bob,
that problem is not so bad once you're moving but in traffic when you're still in 1st or 2nd gear at low speed it is pretty bad.
Need to read more about this ECU update...

re the gear lever hum... is there not a longer one that exist we can simply reply the original with?

Thx all for your feedback already :-)
To elaborate on the ECU re-flash. Steve at Shoodaben paid particular attention to exactly the situation you described. He pulled up to 30% off of throttle response below 3k rpm to make low speed riding a lot smoother, among other things. A side benefit is that he lowered the cooling fan kick in temp by 10*F. Also eliminated the fuel cut on deceleration.

It makes the Versys a whole other(better) bike.

He has flashed ECUs from Canada, EU, and OZ, so he knows the international drill.

Disclosure: my bike and input were used for final tuning at the Shoodaben skunk works.

Google up Shoodaben and have fun reading up on his tuning philosophy and watching how to videos, shipping info, etc.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
aboard.

You are done with your second post and by now you should be a full member.
Cool thx :-)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
To elaborate on the ECU re-flash. Steve at Shoodaben paid particular attention to exactly the situation you described. He pulled up to 30% off of throttle response below 3k rpm to make low speed riding a lot smoother, among other things. A side benefit is that he lowered the cooling fan kick in temp by 10*F. Also eliminated the fuel cut on deceleration.

It makes the Versys a whole other(better) bike.

He has flashed ECUs from Canada, EU, and OZ, so he knows the international drill.

Disclosure: my bike and input were used for final tuning at the Shoodaben skunk works.

Google up Shoodaben and have fun reading up on his tuning philosophy and watching how to videos, shipping info, etc.
This is really interesting now as I use my bike mainly for commuting and so a lot of slow driving... particular in first gear it is sooooooo annoying !
Need to see who in the Dublin area can do this ECU flash.

Is there a specific version number that indicates it is the latest one? so I know if I get it done I get the latest one? at least the one that does this changes which seems sooo good?
Cheers
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Re the headlights. I managed to adjust their height and direction... quite easy once you know. What was much less easy is the access to these adjuster bolts... hard to get access to them but managed to do that with a wrench with the 12mm and thankfully you can also do it with a philips screwdriver too which was the only option for the vertical adjustment bolt for the left headlight... access is really restrictive and you don't want to be removing the headlights to adjust... would take for ever...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

The more I read the more I wonder whether I should have gone for the 1000 - different engine.
I really like the light weight of the versys, it's look and it's comfortable too.
Dashboard is basic and simple but functional... though the logic on the 2 selectable buttons is not the most intuitive.
riding position is good but don't like the gear lever (too short for me)
I like the way they tucked the exhaust under the engine with a short can but way too quiet ... this is an issue for me in traffic... for cars to hear me and also cyclists and we have a lot over here.
With a pillion you can really feel the engine struggling more to accelerate. Maybe because all my previous bikes were 800 or more !!!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
This is really interesting now as I use my bike mainly for commuting and so a lot of slow driving... particular in first gear it is sooooooo annoying !
Need to see who in the Dublin area can do this ECU flash.

Is there a specific version number that indicates it is the latest one? so I know if I get it done I get the latest one? at least the one that does this changes which seems sooo good?
Cheers
I'm not sure of any one doing flashes over there, and it wouldn't be the same, likely missing some of the sweetness.

As far as I know, there is only one version. Shoodaben has shipped to both EU and OZ. You will have to contact Steve there to get details and approx ship times and cost. You could shoot him an email. I;m pretty sure that I'm not allowed to post his link here but just Google Shoodaben for website.

You would really like the flash with your riding style.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
versys 650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode