Noob question - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

10Likes
  • 3 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By Jmason
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 3 Post By dpodom
  • 1 Post By leftbrain99
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Noob question

I have had many different bikes over the last 40 years. I currently have a 2009 KLR 650. My wife has ridden on the back of most of them with me, but she has finally decided to get a motorcycle license and wants to have her own bike. Next spring, she will take the MSF course and get her license. I am pretty sure I will get her a Versys 300 and am seriously considering getting rid of my KLR 650 and getting a Versys for myself, but I haven't yet decided on the 300 or the 650 yet.

Here is my question/questions.

What are the mandatory upgrades? Does the stock seat suck? Is it good for more than 150 miles? What about the windscreen? Is there a consensus on what needs to be replaced/upgraded?

I'm not asking for specific brand or models of replacement parts, but what do most people replace?

I received a great deal of helpful information in KLR650 dot net. I hope to do the same here.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
aboard.

PLEASE POST YOU SECOND POST HERE IN THIS THREAD YOU STARTED. THANKS.

PS NOTE: I am not too sure but feel like I have read you post before and is this the first time you are posting as it was on moderation this morning. Thanks.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
V650: Many of us have replaced the stock seat. It slopes forward and it also has a bit of a convex shape. I have a Sargent seat which fixes both problems. You can shim the front of the seat up but I didn't find it solved the comfort problem for me.

Peg lowering kit helped with knee discomfort.

The stock windshield is ok, but a larger aftermarket is better for highway rides if you want less helmet buffet. I have a Madstad. There are several other brands which people have found success with too.

Some form of crash bars, especially if you'll be on dirt at all.

The front turn signals hit the ground in a tip over resulting in expensive plastic pieces cracking. I replaced my signals with micro size LED units from R&G Racing. The cracked plastic can be superglued but it does show.

For off pavement riding you may want different foot pegs with a wider platform. Several good options are out there.

The factory hard luggage is less than perfect. If I had it to do over again I would not get the OEM side panniers. The top box is excellent, but you can buy the identical unit without the Kawi name for less. The factory panniers are not rectangular, which makes it difficult to fit stuff in them. A briefcase may not fit. Groceries can be awkward. The volume is good, and the mounting is really good. They are keyed to the ignition. They are fairly tough, and they are water resistant. The shape is the big annoyance for me. I would go with racks and rectangular metal boxes. Think about what you're going to want to carry on the bike and consider if it will fit conveniently in the factory boxes.

Definitely get the ECU flashed. Shoodaben did miracles with the 2015. Idk which model years have flashes available from which vendors.

Voltmeter, USB outlet, power plug for heated clothing, etc are all easy to add.

Larger foot for the kickstand is well worth the $.
SteveJ, Mattias and DinkinFlicka like this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
its all up to you... i dont mind the stock seat (at 43k miles) i have the givi windshield and ktm hand guards and heated grips

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.htmlplease read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks

Looking at the post, to be moderated is very odd, unless something with IP address
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
V650: Many of us have replaced the stock seat. It slopes forward and it also has a bit of a convex shape. I have a Sargent seat which fixes both problems. You can shim the front of the seat up but I didn't find it solved the comfort problem for me.

Peg lowering kit helped with knee discomfort.

The stock windshield is ok, but a larger aftermarket is better for highway rides if you want less helmet buffet. I have a Madstad. There are several other brands which people have found success with too.

Some form of crash bars, especially if you'll be on dirt at all.

The front turn signals hit the ground in a tip over resulting in expensive plastic pieces cracking. I replaced my signals with micro size LED units from R&G Racing. The cracked plastic can be superglued but it does show.

For off pavement riding you may want different foot pegs with a wider platform. Several good options are out there.

The factory hard luggage is less than perfect. If I had it to do over again I would not get the OEM side panniers. The top box is excellent, but you can buy the identical unit without the Kawi name for less. The factory panniers are not rectangular, which makes it difficult to fit stuff in them. A briefcase may not fit. Groceries can be awkward. The volume is good, and the mounting is really good. They are keyed to the ignition. They are fairly tough, and they are water resistant. The shape is the big annoyance for me. I would go with racks and rectangular metal boxes. Think about what you're going to want to carry on the bike and consider if it will fit conveniently in the factory boxes.

Definitely get the ECU flashed. Shoodaben did miracles with the 2015. Idk which model years have flashes available from which vendors.

Voltmeter, USB outlet, power plug for heated clothing, etc are all easy to add.

Larger foot for the kickstand is well worth the $.
Another vote for a Madstad and Shoodaben re-flash. I have a gen 3 '15.

I bought the bike used, with a Puig shield. Quite loud and quite a bit of buffeting. Went to a Givi ST 4114. Better(not as bad?). Then to a Madstad, better, but not quite "there". Added this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Goldfire-Mo...s%2C179&sr=8-5

I tried mounting as shown, no good. I mounted it up side down, much gooder. It redirects the air flow above the helmet and really cleans up the buffeting.

The route that I went on the seat was Seat Concepts. I've had Russel Day-Longs on past bikes but they wanted north of $8 or 900 for a seat, and that was no leather. The Concepts ain't a Day-Long, but not bad. Had I to do it again I would seriously consider an Adcock seat.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

I tried mounting as shown, no good. I mounted it up side down, much gooder. It redirects the air flow above the helmet and really cleans up the buffeting.
Ha Ha. I did the exact same thing and it seemed to work pretty well!!!
SteveJ likes this.

'09 Versys
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpodom View Post
...What are the mandatory upgrades? Does the stock seat suck? Is it good for more than 150 miles? What about the windscreen? Is there a consensus on what needs to be replaced/upgraded?...
A Gen 1 or 2 V650 needs better mirrors. The seat slopes quite a bit on all Gens, but can be fixed for about $3. I've done MANY long rides on the 'raised-front OEM seat, and NO problems!

I have an aftermarket 'shield for my Gen 3, but compared it w/ the OEM just before I rode across Canada and back, summer of '17, then used the OEM on the 8,668 mile ride, which worked GREAT! The aftermarket 'shield has NOT been re-installed since then and PROBABLY won't.
dkurant likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

2nd post

Here is my 2nd required post. Don't really have anything to say.
SteveJ, leftbrain99 and dkurant like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Here is my 2nd required post. Don't really have anything to say.
Best 2nd post ever.
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
Ha Ha. I did the exact same thing and it seemed to work pretty well!!!
Good to know it works with the Gen 1. That could help some folks out.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I have a gen 3 '15.

I bought the bike used, with a Puig shield. Quite loud and quite a bit of buffeting. Went to a Givi ST 4114. Better(not as bad?). Then to a Madstad, better, but not quite "there". Added this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Goldfire-Mo...s%2C179&sr=8-5

Pardon??? I have a VX300 which was great for wind noise until after I fitted the optional higher seat. Doh! I have added one of these spoilers as well, but the right way up.
It helps, but the buffeting is still there.
Upside down? That sounds counter to what I would assume.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:17 AM

The seat in the 650 does slope forward but whether that's annoying to you or not is a personal preference. I've been riding with the stock setup and I'm over 40k miles.
Bought a bigger windscreen but that's cause I'm 6'3.
Pegs, handlebars, all stock. Heated grips are great in colder climate.
All in all, the V650's ergos are pretty good for taller people straight from the factory.

Now, if you've been riding a KLR and contemplating a V300, you might be thinking of going off-road, is that correct? In that case, the 650 won't be great. It's a 100% road bike, with just a bit of a lifted suspension for comfort - like a crossover car Some people have adapted the 650 for ADV use, even going as far as installing a bigger front wheel, lifting the fender, etc. but you'd be doing extra work and spending extra $, might just get a more off-road oriented bike. The 300X is, I hear, much easier to handle offroad.

2015 Versys 650
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "getting the ECU flashed?" Are you referring to the 300 or the 650?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
pardon my ignorance, but what is "getting the ecu flashed?" are you referring to the 300 or the 650?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The electronic brain is called the ECU. It controls all the engine parameters. No more carburetor or ignition distributor! The factory setting is far too lean in some regimes such as slowing down by rolling off the throttle. It makes the bike jerky, as if you totally closed the throttle when all you did was reduce it a little bit. Then when you add a bit back in, it acts like you asked for a lot of power. The flash is a reprogramming. A good flash fixes the bad behaviors. A bad flash can cause all kinds of problems and even damage your bike. Shoodaben does a great flash.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Pardon??? I have a VX300 which was great for wind noise until after I fitted the optional higher seat. Doh! I have added one of these spoilers as well, but the right way up.
It helps, but the buffeting is still there.
Upside down? That sounds counter to what I would assume.
You know what they say about the word ass u me.

For me, on a gen3 650 with a Madstad shield system, it's the cat's meow.
Brockie likes this.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "getting the ECU flashed?" Are you referring to the 300 or the 650?
The Gen 3 V650s.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's response. I am definitely getting my wife a 300 and am strongly leaning towards a 300 for myself as well rather than the 650. At 54 years of age, I don't feel the need to go 100 mph any more. Neither do I have any interest in off-road or single track. Here in Montana, there are far more miles of dirt/gravel roads than asphalt. It's not even close. That's all I need. My KLR 650 is more off-road capable and less on-road than I prefer.

Are the factory Kawasaki engine guards, auxiliary lights, hand guards, center stand, power outlet...etc, worth the price or can I find adequate, if not superior alternatives elsewhere? I've found products from SW Motech, Givi, and a few others that have good reviews and in most cases are substantially cheaper.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 AM

In almost all cases you'll get a better bang for your buck with non-Kawasaki accessories.

2015 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode