Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Purchased a new 2018 Versys x 300 this spring. As my first bike, I rode it every chance I could. I really enjoyed putting over 8,000 miles on it this summer.

#2 ·
:welcome:

#3 ·
#7 · (Edited)
What is this hard coating on my stainless pipes?

Just obtained a 2009 Versys 650, 17,500 miles. Cleaning it up I find something coating the stainless pipes giving them a tan to rusty appearance as if they are coated in mud. The coating has some thickness to it which you can see when you wire brush some of it off. And it only comes off with a wire brush so it can't actually be mud. Am I dealing with a previous owner having painted the header pipe? The muffler does not have this coating and shows a stainless steel finish. I don't have any other explanation and the previous owner did not mention anything about it. I've never had a bike with stainless pipes so at first I was thinking this is some type of corrosion and possibly normal for the age of the pipes. Anybody else experience this? Is this some factory coating on the header pipes? :confused:

#9 ·
Just obtained a 2009 Versys 650, 17,500 miles. Cleaning it up I find something coating the stainless pipes giving them a tan to rusty appearance as if they are coated in mud. The coating has some thickness to it which you can see when you wire brush some of it off. And it only comes off with a wire brush so it can't actually be mud. Am I dealing with a previous owner having painted the header pipe? The muffler does not have this coating and shows a stainless steel finish. I don't have any other explanation and the previous owner did not mention anything about it. I've never had a bike with stainless pipes so at first I was thinking this is some type of corrosion and possibly normal for the age of the pipes. Anybody else experience this? Is this some factory coating on the header pipes? :confused:
That colorization is normal. Here's my '08

IMG_0358 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and here's my '15.

'15 rad-guard by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

BOTH have "brown" headers.

#8 ·
Riding position seems a little cramped - Versys 650

My new to me 2009 Versys 650 riding position seems a little cramped and pegs seem slightly rearset. Not like sportbike rearset though. But I am coming from a cruiser style bike with floorboards so anything else feels rearset to me. I was thinking a set of adjustable lowering pegs might help combined with a dirtbike style wide platform type peg. Something where I could bring the pegs down and forward slightly. Does anyone have experience with and can anyone recommend some adjustable pegs?

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am proceeding with the wire brush cleaning. I just like the look better. I see in the picture of your bike that you have a radiator grille. Has that saved the radiator for you in the past? Do you feel it was a worthwhile accessory purchase? I am noticing mine does not have one but wondering if I would need one. My plans for this bike include some off road, gravel road riding.

#12 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am proceeding with the wire brush cleaning. I just like the look better. I see in the picture of your bike that you have a radiator grille. Has that saved the radiator for you in the past? Do you feel it was a worthwhile accessory purchase? I am noticing mine does not have one but wondering if I would need one. My plans for this bike include some off road, gravel road riding.
And maybe you can answer my other question about adjustable or lowered pegs. I see you have some on your '08. What brand are they? And same question there, were they a worthwhile accessory?
Yes the rad-guard is a very good idea - you'll never know how many times it saved "your bacon", and mine is about $3 at Home Depot - it's for keeping stuff out of your roof-storm-drains.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the lowered pegs. They drop the pegs by 1.3" which REALLY opens-up your 'rider-triangle', making the bike much more comfortable. [I'm 5'9" w/ a 30" inseam.]

:thumb: - :thumb:

The footpeg lowering blocks are from motowerk... https://motowerk.com/collections/all

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks. I'll take a look at my local Home Depot. It is certainly in my price range! And I could get me some zip ties there too!

Thanks for the link to the motowerk site. Their stuff looks good. I'll probably use them when it comes down to it. Did not see any wide platform dirt bike style pegs there though. And that's what I think I want. Where did you get yours?

And thanks for the tip on the metal polish.

#15 · (Edited)
...Did not see any wide platform dirt bike style pegs there though. And that's what I think I want. Where did you get yours?...
DR650 footpegs from EBAY (made in China), and mounted w/ SAE bolts rather than metric ones, Around $10 if memory serves. Here's a pic while installing them.

DSC09212 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09210 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and here's the original DR650 'pegs bought used from a DR650 rider.

DSC05966 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC05965 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.