New UK member with 2016 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New UK member with 2016 650

Hi All

Just joined on the recommendation of another from a UK site. Currently trying to solve an issue with my V650 turning over but not starting (following a period of exposure to rain whilst stood outside) . Have replaced the Vehicle Down Sensor and moving on to other possibilities. Pretty annoyed as I've never had technical issues with a bike in the rain ever, (9th bike in 40 years).
Mototim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,080
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.htmlplease read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks

Possibly me aka Inverterman on the UK site?
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...rk-around.html
You can use this thread, some things will be not accessible until 50 hours after your second post. I have some of the directions from the service manual in that thread. Be aware on the 2015 almost all sensors use a 5 VDC power supply that is part of the electrical system, this includes the main and sub throttle sensors. Before we go further you need to explain more in this thread. Several of us are very advanced in the electrical trouble shooting field, I did it for over 40 years as a living repairing large inverters ( my biggest was a 2.5 megawatt Dual Track)and drives, both AC & DC.
onewizard is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,080
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Common problems/ Important Areas to check/ Cheap soluitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototim View Post
Hi All

Just joined on the recommendation of another from a UK site. Currently trying to solve an issue with my V650 turning over but not starting (following a period of exposure to rain whilst stood outside) . Have replaced the Vehicle Down Sensor and moving on to other possibilities. Pretty annoyed as I've never had technical issues with a bike in the rain ever, (9th bike in 40 years).
I have several threads on this,it is much easier just to post it here. Some problems are ambient or temperature sensitive, like bike starts and runs but once hot and stopped it won't start. Spending $$$$v and hours trouble shooting can be averted by doing the following in the order I posted them, more so 2015 Versys 650 ABS and newer;


#1 clean the ECU grounds found hidden below the seat/ gas tank bracket, use scotch brite pad and dielectric grease ( FYI dielectric grease isn't magic, putting it on a corroded connection will = the same poor connection, both surfaces need to be clean, a very small amount is all that is required, too much and it becomes a insulator)


#2 clean all frame ground connections, the ones up front are a problem as the headlight and meter ( display depends on them, part of some displays are the 5 VDC power source)


#3 engine ground, harder to get at on 2015 & newer because of ABS, this ground is prone to corrosion on all model years, it is a PITA to get at and you need to remove the bolt to clean the connection. A tip for those doing this on a 2015 and own diagonal side cutters, the engine ground is a ring terminal, all wiring on MK-3 are short everywhere, trying to start the bolt back into the aluminum casting while trying to relive tension from the engine ground from the battery usually results in cross threading. A simple fix is to cut roughly the same or slightly less width of the thread, in the shape of a V , I have reduced the outside diameter of the ring terminal using channel lock pliers by 0.015 of a inch, what happens is get the bolt started with your fingers, once two or 3 threads push the ground terminal onto the bolt it acts very similar to a fork terminal, however if you followed what I just said, it will stay in place, now you can tighten it down.


#4 the #3 applies to MK-1 & MK-2 as well.


#5 check the 5 VDC , the vehicle down sensor is a good location, the sub throttle sensor or the speed sensor also good but not without using a optional harness.


#6 anytime you have the gas tank off, mark with tape or other means left and right stick coli connectors, pull the stick coils and use a good dielectric grease on the upper boot and also on the inside of the boot that travels over the plug, caution, never use a abrasive such as scotch brite pads in any motion but circular, going from top to bottom will leave small scratches that moisture then carbon tracking can follow, same with the grease, never apply from top to bottom, the spark plug boot area use a very small amount, this allows the boot to slide over the plug then acts as a moisture barrier once in place.
onewizard is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have several threads on this,it is much easier just to post it here. Some problems are ambient or temperature sensitive, like bike starts and runs but once hot and stopped it won't start. Spending $$$$v and hours trouble shooting can be averted by doing the following in the order I posted them, more so 2015 Versys 650 ABS and newer;


#1 clean the ECU grounds found hidden below the seat/ gas tank bracket, use scotch brite pad and dielectric grease ( FYI dielectric grease isn't magic, putting
Hi - yes - thanks to you for sending me here, and for the comprehensive reply.

Already we are beyond both my skill sets and time availability, but this is good stuff to be passing on to someone who will do better than me if I make it worth their while.

I stand by my other point which is that it is ridiculous to be facing such a list of potential issues, that once fixed, I'll likely sell on and buy something a bit more durable - which is a real shame as this is a great bike, and in the burnt orange colour I have, a little bit different on UK roads.
Mototim is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,970
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Fastoman is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,080
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Just Go Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototim View Post
Hi - yes - thanks to you for sending me here, and for the comprehensive reply.

Already we are beyond both my skill sets and time availability, but this is good stuff to be passing on to someone who will do better than me if I make it worth their while.

I stand by my other point which is that it is ridiculous to be facing such a list of potential issues, that once fixed, I'll likely sell on and buy something a bit more durable - which is a real shame as this is a great bike, and in the burnt orange colour I have, a little bit different on UK roads.
Let me tell you this forum is like no other, the Kawasaki Versys is also like no other, this is my second one, my first was a 07 now I have the 2015. If you have a digital meter, I can direct you as can a few others here. Trust me, the Versys has records of exceeding 100,000 KM still running and original engine. I am not a parts changer, I like proving things. Given time and a little patience I am sure your bike can be 100% reliable.

From reading your post, you already changed your vehicle down sensor, and it still doesn't start? I went to the other site so it is a Versys 2016 650 ABS
I added the testing from the manual in that thread. Unfortunately if you don't have small jumper leads, it is difficult to trouble shoot. I am willing to do 1 step at a time on this site.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2019 at 08:47 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,679
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...Trust me, the Versys has records of exceeding 100,000 KM still running and original engine....
FWIW - I have TWO V650s, an '08 in AZ w/ 85,219 MILES on it (137,147 KMS), as well as a '15 LT w/ 74,xxx kms here in BC. I HAD an '09 which I low-sided on the Dempster Hwy in the North West Territories, rode it back home (three days) w/ a bent frame, then it was an "insurance write-off" at which time I got the '15. That '09 had 62,790 kms.

-
onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome