New Member (Long Island) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By Nymets1585
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Oldandslow
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member (Long Island)

Hi everyone! Glad to join the forum. A little about myself, Iíve been riding on the road for about 14 years (and off the road for quite a bit longer). Iím currently NOT the owner of a brand spanking new Versys, but thatís what brings me to the forum! The Versys has made it to the top of my short list and I hope to pick some of your brains about it over the next few weeks. Also, I live on Long Island, so if anyone is local and willing to let me fawn over their machine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.htmlplease read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Hi! I was planning on it once (and if) someone responded. Thanks for the tip.
onewizard likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
aboard!

FWIW - I bought my FIRST V650 (an '08 in AZ) after MOTORCYCLIST magazine gave it their MOTY (Motorcycle Of The Year) award in '08, and I was so happy w/ it that I bought an '09 'leftover' that I imported into Canada, which I later replaced w/ a '15 V650.

Around 170,000 happy miles among the three. And a LOT of those on dirt roads including the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon/ NWT!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-14-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/welcomesign.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome Sign" >:-)</a> aboard!

FWIW - I bought my FIRST V650 (an '08 in AZ) after MOTORCYCLIST magazine gave it their MOTY (Motorcycle Of The Year) award in '08, and I was so happy w/ it that I bought an '09 'leftover' that I imported into Canada, which I later replaced w/ a '15 V650.

Around 170,000 happy miles among the three. And a LOT of those on dirt roads including the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon/ NWT!

<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cool" >:-)</a>
That’s great to hear! I’m coming off an HD Road King. It has just wound up being way more bike than I need, and even in 2019 I find the reliability and build quality to still be classically HD. I’ve had enough of my important pieces rattle off or stop working after being exposed to rain once. Since you clearly have put some miles on those things...I know the question of it’s highway chops has come up already and, at risk of being reference to the previous posts...I commute 100 miles round-trip when I work and about 85 of it is highway. When traffic is moving, it’s typically going 75-80 mph. I’ve read a bunch of posts in which people say it will run at those speeds all day, but what I’m curious about is if it’s gonna feel like its working a little bit at those speeds or if it’ll just be in cruising speed. If someone dives into my lane at that speed I guess I want to know that I will have enough “in the tank” to twist the throttle and get out of the way. Thoughts?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymets1585 View Post
...I commute 100 miles round-trip when I work and about 85 of it is highway. When traffic is moving, itís typically going 75-80 mph. Iíve read a bunch of posts in which people say it will run at those speeds all day, but what Iím curious about is if itís gonna feel like its working a little bit at those speeds or if itíll just be in cruising speed. If someone dives into my lane at that speed I guess I want to know that I will have enough ďin the tankĒ to twist the throttle and get out of the way. Thoughts?
I would NOT worry about it. The V650 has LOTS left at those speeds...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ditto what Fast Eddie said.

I have a 2014 V650, similar commute to yours (80 miles r/t, all highway, 75mph). It's spinning 6000 RPM in 6th gear but will still accelerate. A quick jab down to 5th and it accelerates FAST. No, it can't compare to the down-low torque of your Road King (or my prior bike, an '02 Bandit 1200), but it definitely has room to run above highway speeds (don't ask me how I know )
Nymets1585 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard.

The versys 650 has got all your requirements. I remember see somewhere in Your Tube guys doing 200KM/Hr on the 09..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. It always helps to hear from folks that are already using the machine. Itís hard to argue with how many miles guys are putting on these bikes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymets1585 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. It always helps to hear from folks that are already using the machine. It’s hard to argue with how many miles guys are putting on these bikes.
My '08 = 85,219 miles;
my '09 = 62,790 kms at which time it was an insurance 'write-off' from a low-side crash on the Dempster Hwy an hour S of Inuvik, then ridden to Kelowna, BC;
and my '15 (ALL V650s!) = 73,498 kms as of this morning's ride

The '08 gets ridden during winter (in AZ), while the '09 and '15 are (or were...) ridden the rest of the year in Canada.
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode