Add One More Versys 300 to the Streets of Seattle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Versys206
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Add One More Versys 300 to the Streets of Seattle

Hi all,

Glad to find this forum the weekend I bought my new motorycle: a 2018 Versys 300. More than 15 years ago (wow) I had my endorsement in my early 20s, and owned an EX500 (pre-Ninja Kawasaki) and then a 1998 Honda VFR800 (sport touring which was basically sport at that point) which I promptly laid down (should've taken a safety course). Fixed it up, sold it off, and decided to be cheap in my 20s and let my endorsement lapse at the next license renewal- whoops!

Fast forward to this August when my company offered to pay for employees to take a two-day endorsement safety class. I jumped at the chance, was the only employee from our company to pass, and was—more than anything—reminded of my passion for riding.

A few weeks later after hyperfocusing on the right bike for me at 40 (and with a new motorcycle endorsement on my license), I located a new 2018 Versys 300 ABS in black that was becoming difficult to find (it was the only color scheme I was really feeling). Took the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton to buy the bike at the dealer and rode it back along winding roads against the edge of waterways and small towns— through Silverdale, Poulsbo, and eventually Bainbridge Island...onto the front of a ferry for a ride home. A magical afternoon.

Looking forward to chatting with this community, sharing stories, stealing some of your tips, and...doing a group ride?

Thanks for having me!

Versys206
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_160242.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	165357   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_120722 (1).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	165359   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_104324.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	165361  
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Versys206; 09-06-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 AM

Garage
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. The advantages of loading onto the ferry before others. What's that cost these days? I am 10 years removed from the Edmonds area. Enjoy the new ride!

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Edmonds-Kingston ferry is now $9.20 for motorcycles, and will be going up very soon... I ride it about once a week on either my Versys 650 or Burgman 200. Riding in Kitsap County is a joy compared to the Seattle side. Two lane roads, not a tremendous number of cars.

The 300 is a great little bike, I almost bought one until I ran into the ad for the 650 I ended up buying. I'd still rather have the 300 on dirt. IM me if you are interested in doing some adventure rides this fall. Great time to do the Mountain Loop Highway!

-dm

-dm

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Welcome to the club!! I picked mine up three weeks ago and I'm loving it. Which windshield do you have it doesn't look stock.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.htmlplease read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks
Versys206 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
Edmonds-Kingston ferry is now $9.20 for motorcycles, and will be going up very soon.

-dm
That's not bad. I used to jump on the ferry loaded up with my camping gear and shoot out to Hurricane Ridge. Love that area.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Edmonds-Kingston ferry is now $9.20 for motorcycles, and will be going up very soon... I ride it about once a week on either my Versys 650 or Burgman 200. Riding in Kitsap County is a joy compared to the Seattle side. Two lane roads, not a tremendous number of cars.

The 300 is a great little bike, I almost bought one until I ran into the ad for the 650 I ended up buying. I'd still rather have the 300 on dirt. IM me if you are interested in doing some adventure rides this fall. Great time to do the Mountain Loop Highway!

-dm
Kitsap County...riding there sounds fantastic. Yeah, one of the main issues with living in Seattle is...how long will it take to get out of Seattle so that I can enjoy the ride more.

Figure I'll be doing the peninsula more as it's so inexpensive and close, now that the ferry isn't $40

Very interested in a ride later this fall- thanks for offering! You had me at Mountain Loop Highway. Sent you a friend request- let's chat more!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
Welcome to the club!! I picked mine up three weeks ago and I'm loving it. Which windshield do you have it doesn't look stock.
Thanks and congrats yourself! What did you get? First bike, another bike, climbing back on after awhile away like me?

Windshield...says Kawasaki and came with the bike, which was purchased new, so I'm figuring stock...in all honesty, I didn't think to check. I like it, but could already use some addt'l coverage at freeway speeds so I'm thinking about a different windshield (but this one does look nice). Got any suggestions?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
That's not bad. I used to jump on the ferry loaded up with my camping gear and shoot out to Hurricane Ridge. Love that area.
I grew up in Edmonds! And have family friends right at the base of Hurricane Ridge in good ol Port Angeles...I have to imagine riding/camping there is a pristine experience...any other must see bike/camp spots you recommend within a short reach of Puget Sound?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys206 View Post
I grew up in Edmonds! And have family friends right at the base of Hurricane Ridge in good ol Port Angeles...I have to imagine riding/camping there is a pristine experience...any other must see bike/camp spots you recommend within a short reach of Puget Sound?
There are so many options for you. I really enjoyed the Pennisula. Which I camped at both Fort Flagler and Fort Casey. Hurricane Ridge was my favorite. Best riding for me personally was the North Cascade Hwy. Riding the Alps of the Northwest. Check out Motorcycleroads.com for other suggestions. You also have Sedro on here. He would also be a great resource to connect with. I look forward to following your adventures. Or shoot up to Edmonds and 5 corners. Stop at Caffe Ladro for the best americano and raspberry scone. Of course they have other locations. But my go to when in town. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_143025.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	165399  

Last edited by Craigar; 09-07-2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Presenior moment
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You should probably get some "armor" on your bike, particularly since it is new. Engine guards, hand guards, that sort of stuff. I have everything but a skid plate on my 650... I've dropped it 4 or 5 times now and it has some scratches but no serious damage as a result.

Mountain Loop is paved except 15 miles in the middle which is fairly easy gravel road... but harder adventures are available on any of the side roads.

I also want to explore the area that appears in a lot of Brett Tkacs videos, which I think is mainly around Tahyua, near Shelton.

-dm
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard and enjoy your new ride. Be safe.
Versys206 likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post

There are so many options for you. I really enjoyed the Pennisula. Which I camped at both Fort Flagler and Fort Casey. Hurricane Ridge was my favorite. Best riding for me personally was the North Cascade Hwy. Riding the Alps of the Northwest. Check out Motorcycleroads.com for other suggestions. You also have Sedro on here. He would also be a great resource to connect with. I look forward to following your adventures. Or shoot up to Edmonds and 5 corners. Stop at Caffe Ladro for the best americano and raspberry scone. Of course they have other locations. But my go to when in town. Cheers!
This is really helpful- thank you! Looking forward to connecting with Sedro on here and others...and gotta get on that North Cascade Hwy before it closes for the winter...they still do that, yes? Hurricane sounds incredible, too.

Quote:
You should probably get some "armor" on your bike, particularly since it is new. Engine guards, hand guards, that sort of stuff. I have everything but a skid plate on my 650... I've dropped it 4 or 5 times now and it has some scratches but no serious damage as a result.

Mountain Loop is paved except 15 miles in the middle which is fairly easy gravel road... but harder adventures are available on any of the side roads.

I also want to explore the area that appears in a lot of Brett Tkacs videos, which I think is mainly around Tahyua, near Shelton.
Mountain Loop...a must. How have I never heard of this having been born and raised in Seattle?! Gotta get out more

Great feedback on the armor...agreed.

Last edited by Versys206; 09-08-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode