new member introduction - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
new member introduction

HI, V- curious and thought i would stop in and ask hopefully relevant questions.

with the appropriate use of the search function of course. RTFM. yadda yadda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

im mainly wondering if the 650 LT is suitable for mid to long range touring?, weather protection, range etc.
a badly damaged leg (40% use) has neatly knocked me off my concours 14 road hammer and my klr 650 dirt road machine.
so im looking the the lighter middle ground for an all-rounder
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Arnold View Post
im mainly wondering if the 650 LT is suitable for mid to long range touring?, weather protection, range etc....
I've ridden to Alaska on MY V650s three times, and across Canada and back in '17, SO I feel it's MORE than suitable!

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...dventures.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...2d-2015-a.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...668-miles.html

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I've ridden to Alaska on MY V650s three times, and across Canada and back in '17, SO I feel it's MORE than suitable!

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...dventures.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...2d-2015-a.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...668-miles.html

- -
This is the reason why I joined here. You guys are so experienced. I've only been riding my 650 for my daily commute to work.

Edit: was just amazed

Believe in yourself, and the rest will fall into place. Have faith in your own abilities, work hard, and there is nothing you cannot accomplish.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 PM

Mark and I hope you turn that curiosity into something positive and that you buy a 650 after all.

Believe in yourself, and the rest will fall into place. Have faith in your own abilities, work hard, and there is nothing you cannot accomplish.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard Mark. If your have only 40% on your landing gear (legs) , you might need to consider the weight of the 650 and you may consider the X300 which is much lighter , and both can handle long tours depending on riding pattern.

The V650 is an ideal mid weight bike for long tours and have been my companion for the last 9 years and have taken me in all of my South East Asia Tour.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPadilla34 View Post
This is the reason why I joined here. You guys are so experienced. I've only been riding my 650 for my daily commute to work.

Those are just a SMALL part of the 170,000 miles I've ridden my three V650s....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPadilla34 View Post

Have a look at all three of us mods, all 10 to 11 years on this forum, the largest part a simple members.Some of the early bad apples got banned forever, we now have some really good tools for it now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

the leg is a problem, the left one is the damaged one. im down to 40% strength on it compared to the good (right) leg. i can handle my KLR well enough but its a bit buzzy and underpowered
to be a good highway runner, its an allday backroad bike, works great in that context, but cruising at 80+ on the interstate is not its forte. my concours 14 is a land missile but weighs 700lbs.
so im going to a middleight that is easier to handle. versys650 lt or a strom xt adventure or a tracer 900GT on the high end. im more inclined to the smaller lighter versys.

If I read the spec sheet correctly the versys is 6 inches less wheelbase and 40 lbs lighter than the strom. thats going to be increasingly more important as time goes by and the knee joint deteriorates until i have it replaced.

the GT looks good but is heavier than either and i like the idea of simple reliable bikes, cruise would be nice but after half a million or more miles without one ill be ok i imagine.

so the choice so far is a 650 versys LT. I like my bikes with saddlebags and decent wind protection.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
the leg is a problem, the left one is the damaged one. im down to 40% strength on it compared to the good (right) leg. i can handle my KLR well enough but its a bit buzzy and underpowered
to be a good highway runner, its an allday backroad bike, works great in that context, but cruising at 80+ on the interstate is not its forte. my concours 14 is a land missile but weighs 700lbs.
so im going to a middleight that is easier to handle. versys650 lt or a strom xt adventure or a tracer 900GT on the high end. im more inclined to the smaller lighter versys.

If I read the spec sheet correctly the versys is 6 inches less wheelbase and 40 lbs lighter than the strom. thats going to be increasingly more important as time goes by and the knee joint deteriorates until i have it replaced.

the GT looks good but is heavier than either and i like the idea of simple reliable bikes, cruise would be nice but after half a million or more miles without one ill be ok i imagine.

so the choice so far is a 650 versys LT. I like my bikes with saddlebags and decent wind protection.
I hear you. It has taken a year to find out, but I have a partially torn ACL and meniscus , I now wear a leg brace on my left leg. I had a minor crash this year due to unusual circumstances and partially my left leg, having said that I hope to put another 4000 KM on the bike before winter sets in. I wear my leg brace all the time when riding now, luckily it fits perfectly into my motorcycle boots. As to your question, I have my bike with the lowering link , however I carry a good 50 pounds of various stuff, compressor, tire plugging kit, prop stand, heated jacket, etc.
You also question the power, it will do 80 MPH all day, no sweat, however I must add, I had a 07 Versys, now my 2015 , one huge difference in rideability is the ECU flash I got from Shoodaben , the bike is just awesome now.The second thing is the cases, those trekker cases are also fantastic, I had the Givi 35 on the 07, everything wanted to fall out when opening, especially the left side. The Trekker case open top or suitcase, a matter of flipping a latch, and they have been subject to 2 low speed crashes on gravel, minor scratches only.
my former 07

not a good photo but my Trekker case open on the left side using the top opening option
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...If I read the spec sheet correctly the versys is 6 inches less wheelbase and 40 lbs lighter than the strom....
When I compared riding a VStrom w/ riding a V650 (some years ago, in a thread here), I used the word ponderous to describe my feeling aboard the 'Zuki....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

I know steve at shoodaben well, he has been my go to advise tech guy for a long time on my concours 1000 and my concours 14. his map is in the concours 14 now. that he has maps for a versys is a big point of favor with me, i know his work is top notch.
and yes i actually prefer my givi 21's over the 36's on my KLR with the top opening feature, less room but my stuff doesnt fall out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode