Choices! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Choices!

Hello all,

I'm ready to finally purchase a Versys, but I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I'm looking at two models and don't know which to go with. The first is a 2013, Blue with 6400+ miles on it, but it has a custom seat, full set of matched Givi Luggage, a tank bag, 12 accessory plug, handguards, extended fender, and is listed as having $3000 worth of ugrades. The price for this bike is $4500. The other bike is a Green 2014 ABS with 800 miles no extras at $4300.

Bike 1 = 2013 Blue, 6400 miles, lots of extras and new rear tire - $4500
Bike 2 = 2014 Green, 800 miles, no extras - $4300

I think I would eventually use the luggage as my wife has expressed wanting to do a couple overnight trips at some point, but I'm caught between the mileage of the bike 1 vs the basically new Bike 2. Should I be concerned about the mileage of the first bike and potential parts that might need replaced?

Both bikes are 4+ hours drive for me to see.

My brother says go for the newer bike with fewer miles, but I was hoping from some other perspectives on this.

Thanks,

Will S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks
First where in the world are you, as there are several bike available on this forum. Resale of used bikes is a tough one, I would say both are going to need the brake fluid changed if it hasn't been done. I had a 07 , no ABS and now a 2015 with ABS, I wouldn't go back to non ABS bike. A 2015 or newer has some advantages, one is closed loop fueling , better suspension and the 2015 & 2016 there is a new flash available for the ECU that makes the bike awesome.I think there are at least four 2015 / 2016 on this site.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello onewizard and thanks for your reply. I'm in Central PA. I originally wanted to buy the blue '09 model, but the prices folks are asking for this older bike is ridiculous as they are usually within a few hundred dollars of a newer model. My wife likes all the extras on the '13 model, but I like the newness of the 14 with the much lower mileage. I also like that the '14 has ABS. I don't know anything about the closed loop fueling you mentioned, but I haven't entertained the idea of a 2015 or newer because my max budget is $5k and all the newer models, at least on Craigslist, Facebook, and local dealers are a bit salty for me. I do like the Givi cases, but would only use them if the wife wanted to do an overnight or such. I would say most of my riding I wouldn't use them.

I'll check the posts on here and see what is available in the newer models as well.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
aboard.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamStryker69 View Post
Hello onewizard and thanks for your reply. I'm in Central PA. I originally wanted to buy the blue '09 model, but the prices folks are asking for this older bike is ridiculous as they are usually within a few hundred dollars of a newer model. My wife likes all the extras on the '13 model, but I like the newness of the 14 with the much lower mileage. I also like that the '14 has ABS. I don't know anything about the closed loop fueling you mentioned, but I haven't entertained the idea of a 2015 or newer because my max budget is $5k and all the newer models, at least on Craigslist, Facebook, and local dealers are a bit salty for me. I do like the Givi cases, but would only use them if the wife wanted to do an overnight or such. I would say most of my riding I wouldn't use them.

I'll check the posts on here and see what is available in the newer models as well.

Thanks again.
The miles and years are meaningless, ABS is good. As to miles, some have hit 100,000 miles on the original motor, one really good investment is to do the valve shim check early, lots of posts and a step by step in the How To forum. I did my 2015 at 11,000 KM that is a bit over 6,600 miles, I don't expect to look at it until this winter around 30,000 + KM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode