Just purchased 2009 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just purchased 2009 650

Ok... first post for my first motorcycle (not including my Vespa 300 gts which resides in Italy). I just put down the deposit today and the bike will arrive in about 3 weeks - hopefully we won't be buried under snow at that time. The bike is lime green and already has a tall windscreen. I think I will probably look for a top notch tank bag as my first farkle. Does anyone have any suggestions for absolute must haves other than cases? (There is a loaded question.) Anyway, it is nice to be able to write in this forum. I am looking forward to the discussions. Ciao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

This might give you some items to check out.. ..http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
...crash-bars AND hand-guards for WHEN it falls over...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Weljo..... Good grief is that ever a list of upgrades! It looks as though someone attempted to reinvent the wheels. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the list .... I have been checking out a few items.

fasteddiecopeman.... I was thinking about those very items. Do you like the motech engine guards? I noticed that Acerbis has some nice hand-guards, so I am thinking I may get a pair when I am in Italy this summer. The head office is about 2 kms from my apartment.

Has anyone done a major update on suspension or brakes on this bike? Just curious ....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM

G'day mate hope you have fun setting her up.
I like the Barkbusters brand for quality good fitting hand guards. 08 R1 rear shocks are a cheap suspension fix. The suspension can certainly be better and well worth the money. Braided lines are an improvement too. I put red on my green Versys and I like the look.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, Crow. Do you remember the approximate cost of those upgrades? I noticed that many guys seem to go with braided lines. What is the advantage/improvement? Thanks again.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamasco View Post
I think I will probably look for a top notch tank bag as my first farkle. Does anyone have any suggestions for absolute must haves other than cases?
The Famsa 244/48 strap-on tank bag is custom fit for the Versys. I had magnetic ones, but they don't fit the Versys well, so I've never used them on it. I really like the Famsa. The one drawback is it's an intricate operation threading the zipper to zip it on. Doesn't take long though.

The only other ones I'd consider are the fuel-filler mount tank bags, but I'd want to make sure it was a good fit on the bike. And not hovering way above the back of the tank.

Some use magnetic bags on the Versys. I'm not a big fan of them, and especially not on this bike.

The 1st two things I remember installing on mine were the adapter to plug in heated gear, and Oxford heated grips.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
...fasteddiecopeman.... I was thinking about those very items. Do you like the motech engine guards?....
I had the H-Bs on my '08 when I had a 15 to 20 mph "low-side", and VERY little damage. Put S-Ws on my '09 when I couldn't find the H-Bs, then added the S-W skid-plate. Tried to add the same skid-plate to my '08, then found that it is NOT compatible w/ H-Bs. Since then I bought the S-W crash-bars and installed them w/ the S-W skid-plate, and sold the H-Bs to another member.

So FAR I have NOT "trialled" my S-Ws by crashing....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Ok... first post for my first motorcycle (not including my Vespa 300 gts which resides in Italy). I just put down the deposit today and the bike will arrive in about 3 weeks - hopefully we won't be buried under snow at that time. The bike is lime green and already has a tall windscreen. I think I will probably look for a top notch tank bag as my first farkle. Does anyone have any suggestions for absolute must haves other than cases? (There is a loaded question.) Anyway, it is nice to be able to write in this forum. I am looking forward to the discussions. Ciao
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the welcomes, guys. I am starting to feel right at home and the bike hasn't even arrived yet.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
The Famsa 244/48 strap-on tank bag is custom fit for the Versys. I had magnetic ones, but they don't fit the Versys well, so I've never used them on it. I really like the Famsa. The one drawback is it's an intricate operation threading the zipper to zip it on. Doesn't take long though.

The only other ones I'd consider are the fuel-filler mount tank bags, but I'd want to make sure it was a good fit on the bike. And not hovering way above the back of the tank.

Some use magnetic bags on the Versys. I'm not a big fan of them, and especially not on this bike.

The 1st two things I remember installing on mine were the adapter to plug in heated gear, and Oxford heated grips.
Thanks for the tips. I love the looks of the Famsa bag. Where did you go to get yours? When I looked online I couldn't see one specifically for the Versys so I wrote to the company in Italy. I'll take a look for the other items. This is all good fun.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM

I got my Famsa bag from another inmate here.

Instructions here to buy a new one.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode