Clip Chain - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By HKSY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
17A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Clip Chain

Just posting this for info on clipped Chains.

While on a trip out east from Ontario to New Brunswick last month, I had front and rear sprockets and chain replaced at the Kawi dealer in Moncton New Brunswick. All was good and rode back the 1500 kms to home. The chain they put on was a clip chain. I liked that because it was a good reference point for cleaning and oiling the chain. Leaving for a three day trip on Sunday and going over my bike this morning and noticed the clip is missing on the Master Link. It must have come off the other day during a day ride I did cause it was still on when I got back from New Brunswick.

Having another chain installed in a day or two at the local Kawi dealer and it will not be a clip chain.

2018 Versys 650 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You don't need to replace the entire chain, just have them install a rivet master link.

A chain is a chain. There is no such thing as a "clip chain."

Your dealership can remove the clip style master link and install rivet style master link. Easy peasy.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:50 AM

get another master link and put some silicone over the plate.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
Just posting this for info on clipped Chains.

While on a trip out east from Ontario to New Brunswick last month, I had front and rear sprockets and chain replaced at the Kawi dealer in Moncton New Brunswick. All was good and rode back the 1500 kms to home. The chain they put on was a clip chain. I liked that because it was a good reference point for cleaning and oiling the chain. Leaving for a three day trip on Sunday and going over my bike this morning and noticed the clip is missing on the Master Link. It must have come off the other day during a day ride I did cause it was still on when I got back from New Brunswick.

Having another chain installed in a day or two at the local Kawi dealer and it will not be a clip chain.
Fortnine has the screw type master link, equal to a rivet link but no special tools needed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 AM

The idea that a clip style link failed that was installed by a Kawi dealer is a little unnerving. Wonder what make the chain was as I wasnt too impressed with the OEM chain. Got me thinking now about the screw type link....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:12 PM

They may have put the clip on the master link the wrong way round, so the open end faced the drive direction, Ive see that happen before.
Smiley likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've put clips on the correct way and they still went missing. I've been using rivet but did purchase an EK with the screw link. We'll see how that works out, I'm hopeful.

I do have a clip link on the KLR and that one has been staying put. Could be a power issue?

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 PM
jpd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Back in the 80's I used clip master links on my KZ 550. Never lost one in close to 100,000 miles. I wonder why the Versys wants to throw them off? Too many posts of missing clips and damaged engine cases to want to use a clip.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode