2018 Versys X 300 | DPI - Thanks? for the speeding ticket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

18Likes
  • 1 Post By SouthernCruizer
  • 1 Post By DayTurns2Night
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 3 Post By Groanup
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By DayTurns2Night
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 3 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 2 Post By DayTurns2Night
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2018 Versys X 300 | DPI - Thanks? for the speeding ticket

Howdy!

I'm a bit confused about the forum rules, but will give it a go. Two posts in 48 hours is my take away.

So, I'm a brand new rider in Portland, Oregon. Did a lot of research and bought a Kawa Versys X 300 a couple of weeks ago (cart before the horse). Finished my #TeamOregon practical class last weekend and passed my written test on Friday. Picked up my Versys out in Hillsboro this morning, and after practicing in the parking lot for 15 minutes, rode it the 20 miles back to my house.

High stress at the beginning, not so much going forward. I thought it would be like a rocket ship (motorcycles can be intimidating), but really fourth and fifth gear aren't that fast at the lower RPMs.

A couple hours after making it home without incident, I rode back to the Community College where my classes were held last week, and spent an hour doing the same drills. So much to be learned by escaping that parking lot, but I get it.

Anyway, one big difference between training riding and real riding is coming to a stop at a four way stop. This became very apparent, even going through the CC parking lots and roads.

Slowing down to 'almost stopped', but staying in 2nd gear and not touching the ground seems so much more efficient if there is no real reason to actually come to a complete foot on the ground stop.

But I don't know the legalities, but I was curious what other riders do?

If this subject has been covered or is recurring, please ignore.

I put 50 miles on the bike on my first day of Big Boy riding. I felt more alive today than I have felt in years.

Strangely, this motorcycle seems so much tamer than my ebike.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

2018 Versys X 300 | DPI - Thanks? for the speeding ticket

So, riding home on my new-ish (2018) Versys from the dealership, I got caught in a radar speed trap.

It was a quick conversation with a county deputy. She was quite cool, new bike, new rider, I have NO idea what speed I was doing, just matching the car ahead of me, I think it was around 25 MPH, she said I was going 30 (it happens to be a sore spot in this part of Beaverton).

Anyway, I was thinking about the whole purchasing process when I got home. I paid $200 for a "Dealer Inspection and Prep." And during the course of that prep, you would have thought that my dealer might have changed the unit of measurement we use in the nation I purchased it in.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks

If you explained that about the speed setting, the fact you purchased it and the first ride home, I would expect a warning. FYI all of the UK , Canada , the rest of the world is KM/HR . I grew up using MPH, My bike, my car everything I drive is KM/HR . The very first thing you realize is when you were nailed for 10 MPH over = 16.6 KM/HR over, same as fuel , much easier to raise the price of a liter .
If you got a fine I would fight it in court. Hopefully you changed the speedometer to what you are use to, I would have contacted the dealer. Having given a bit more thought, are you saying you have no exposure to driving using KM/HR?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTurns2Night View Post
So, riding home on my new-ish (2018) Versys from the dealership, I got caught in a radar speed trap.

It was a quick conversation with a county deputy. She was quite cool, new bike, new rider, I have NO idea what speed I was doing, just matching the car ahead of me, I think it was around 25 MPH, she said I was going 30 (it happens to be a sore spot in this part of Beaverton).

Anyway, I was thinking about the whole purchasing process when I got home. I paid $200 for a "Dealer Inspection and Prep." And during the course of that prep, you would have thought that my dealer might have changed the unit of measurement we use in the nation I purchased it in.
So what difference does it make what unit of measurement your speedo was set to, if by your own admission, you weren't even using it to monitor your speed? Matching the car in front of you is no real measurement of speed dude.
Pekes17 likes this.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

LOL, I can see how it could be read that way. I had no idea what my speed in MPH was as my dynamic kph to mph conversion skills are nonexistent.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by DayTurns2Night; 07-28-2019 at 04:54 PM. Reason: grammer
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
aboard and enjoy your ride - Be safe.
DayTurns2Night likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Howdy!

Slowing down to 'almost stopped', but staying in 2nd gear and not touching the ground seems so much more efficient if there is no real reason to actually come to a complete foot on the ground stop.

But I don't know the legalities, but I was curious what other riders do?

If this subject has been covered or is recurring, please ignore.

I put 50 miles on the bike on my first day of Big Boy riding. I felt more alive today than I have felt in years.

Strangely, this motorcycle seems so much tamer than my ebike.

Cheers!
Welcome to the moto community!
Continued training is one of the best investments you can make.
As far as stops are concerned, as long as I'm the only one at a stop sign (and there are no LEOs observing me), I don't generally come to a complete stop with feet on the ground. Just be SURE before proceeding. Look twice, and remember that even you might miss a motorcycle/bicycle/pedestrian coming your way if you are not looking for one.

Ride safe!

Don R.

2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2017 Kawasaki V1K
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It goes by many names......
Rolling stop
Boulevard stop
California stop.

I just refer to it as a $75.00 ticket & moving violation on my license.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
...Slowing down to 'almost stopped', but staying in 2nd gear and not touching the ground seems so much more efficient if there is no real reason to actually come to a complete foot on the ground stop. But I don't know the legalities, but I was curious what other riders do?...
I asked a friend who's a cop in AZ - What does HE look for to confirm a motorcycle has stopped? His answer is - BOTH feet on the ground. So I responded that I can come to a stop, but keep my bike balanced w/ BOTH feet still on the 'pegs. He answered by saying that he would 'ticket me' for that.

The result is that I ALWAYS come to a stop, w/ both feet on the ground before starting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
It goes by many names......
Rolling stop
Boulevard stop
California stop.

I just refer to it as a $75.00 ticket & moving violation on my license.
STOP - a full cessation of forward movement!
onewizard and DayTurns2Night like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I asked a friend who's a cop in AZ - What does HE look for to confirm a motorcycle has stopped? His answer is - BOTH feet on the ground. So I responded that I can come to a stop, but keep my bike balanced w/ BOTH feet still on the 'pegs. He answered by saying that he would 'ticket me' for that.

The result is that I ALWAYS come to a stop, w/ both feet on the ground before starting again.

STOP - a full cessation of forward movement!
I was afraid of this. You know when you ask a question, but already know the answer, but are hoping for a different answer

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Fastoman and Groanup like this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Having given a bit more thought, are you saying you have no exposure to driving using KM/HR?
Exactly. And to clarify, I didn't actually get a ticket.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Fine or Warning?

Quote:
Exactly. And to clarify, I didn't actually get a ticket.
I know in the USA things are done differently in some States, where you pay the fine to the Trooper, I know this as far as Texas, best to carry US dollars in case you get stopped, otherwise it is jail time. So did you pay a fine or get a warning?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I figure if I have to pull in the clutch to prevent the engine from stalling and I have one foot on the ground it is a "stop". For someone to see I was moving ever so slowly they would have to be quite close and to the side of me. I've never been ticketed.

But I am always certain to really look before moving. As much as we like to bitch about drivers not seeing motorcycles, we are just as apt to not see a pedestrian, bicycle, kid on a scooter zooming into the crosswalk, or even a car. Getting a ticket would be annoying, but the higher likelihood of rushing would be some kind of collision.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I know in the USA things are done differently in some States, where you pay the fine to the Trooper, I know this as far as Texas, best to carry US dollars in case you get stopped, otherwise it is jail time. So did you pay a fine or get a warning?

I guess it was a warning, but it was much a more casual interaction. In retrospect, I think she was probably going to pull over the car I was following. 25 mph to 30 mph violation is silly, but the cops seem to directed to make their stand at certain points, and this is a well known one.

"You were going 30 in a twenty five mile hour zone". "Wow, this display was showing 40+ in kph. This is my first motorcycle ride on real roads. This is my first ride outside of my MSF course"

"Go on"
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Speeding 101

Quote:
I guess it was a warning, but it was much a more casual interaction. In retrospect, I think she was probably going to pull over the car I was following. 25 mph to 30 mph violation is silly, but the cops seem to directed to make their stand at certain points, and this is a well known one.

"You were going 30 in a twenty five mile hour zone". "Wow, this display was showing 40+ in kph. This is my first motorcycle ride on real roads. This is my first ride outside of my MSF course"

"Go on"
OK not trying for points here, last year I was riding through a place called Honeywood Ontario , population I don't know, but about 8 houses and a arena . So they have a 50 KM/HR zone, from a 80 KM/HR , the street length is about 400 feet from speed sign to speed sign, many guys come up from Terra Nova and ride like this is a race track. So late last year when I was coming through before my ECU was flashed around 6 PM, I was the only vehicle on the road for over 8 KM, come around the bend, downshift, see a black SUV with darkened windows in front of the fire-hall, look down and realize when downshifting to 3, I actually increased speed to about 66 KM/HR, on come his hidden light, I was a good 100 feet back so I casually pull in beside him, he didn't need to start his car. So he claims this is a area they are cracking down on and won't give me a warning, so $56 fine , have a nice day. He was being a **** but tried several ways of getting more out of me, I was wearing prescription safety glasses , my license has glasses required, he asked me if what I had was as required, also had ear plugs in, he questioned that to, so like I said *****.
Several months earlier I was on a highway that has limited passing areas, was following a minivan that would speed up in passing areas the slow down below 70 KM/HR . I came upon a passing lane and this guy moved into the passing lane blocking me from passing him. Yes there is a story here, we get to a traffic light on this highway just outside of Erin ONT. It turns green and I hammer it, passing him, I just come over the rise and there is a OPP coming my way, on come the lights , I do engine braking and front wheel braking, by the time she was stopped and I was stopped , she was no more than 100 feet past me. She comes up, already got the kick stand down, yells into my face, you were doing 130 in a 80. So this is something I always think of related to what I did as a electrician, the department of labour when coming onto a accident site will tell you that there is no excuse you can use for working live with the power on

Thinking that when I got my helmet off and ear plugs out and while handing over my insurance and license, I mentioned I just passed a **** , I know it is no excuse but that is what happened, at that speed over I could have had my license suspended. She comes back and hands back my license and insurance and tells me I am going to need to turn around as the is a fatal crash she just came from and the road is closed . This isn't the first time I have run into a friendly cop, and I did thank her, just remember they have a job to do, and they all don't spend their time at Tim Hortons all day.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-01-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode