New rider in Alberta (Canada) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ikcrawford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New rider in Alberta (Canada)

Greetings Moto-brethren,

I just got my first ever motorcyle (Versys-X, of course!) 2 days ago. I got a good deal on a 2018. I went for the red one. I'm now practising like crazy, trying to get used to the bike and hopefully pass my road test in two weeks (I took a Canadianized version of the MSF-course already).

I'm currently working on
- smoother downshifts
- trying to get out of my bad habit of "coasting" toward a stop (the short gearing on the bike makes it kind of annoying to keep down-shifting when you are in 5th gear doing 50 km/h (30 mph in Americanese).

Thanks for reading. Great forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome from New Zealand.Get all the rider training you can find,you can never get to much training from experianced instructors.I got back on a bike after 30 years away,went to the Ride Forever training and learnt a lot.

Happy riding
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
aboard and enjoy your ride - Be safe.

Find a empty parking lot and do a lot of start stop and turn. Practice makes perfect. Lock your sight on where you want go and the bike will follow. Riding a bike is by sight. and Be safe.

Take you time and don,t rush - Rome was not build in one day.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Welcome From South Central Ontario

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

second post

Thanks for the well-wishes above.

I'll try and be safe and diligent in all of my practice!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Also, I have a dumb question...

This is the first time I've owned a motorcycle. I'm not that mechanically inclined. I've been reading and watching YouTube videos re: maintenance.

Anyway, I've only got 50 km on the odometer. As I was checking the bike over, I noticed that the chain seems kinda dry. At least ... compared to how I would rate "dryness" on a bicycle chain.

Is this something I should be worried about? I sort of assumed it would be good from the dealer for a few hundred km before I'd need to lube it up?

Thanks for any tips / advice.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarco View Post
...As I was checking the bike over, I noticed that the chain seems kinda dry....
You MIGHT get your rear wheel "grundgy" by over-lubing your chain, but other than THAT, you won't do any damage!

FWIW - I lube mine ONLY w/ WD40.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I know people used to believe the WD40 would cause deterioration of the O-rings in the chain, but apparently, it is mostly naptha ... which is similar to kerosene ... which is known to be a good chain cleaner (and is even recommended in some owner's manuals).

I apparently cannot post a link, but there is a YouTube video with the following title discusses this:
Will WD-40 Destroy Your Motorcycle Chain O-Rings? | MC GARAGE

However, this video points out that WD40 is a degreaser, not actually a lubricant. It is supposedly good at cleaning the chain, but then you are supposedly to apply some other kind of chain lubricant...

???
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarco View Post
Thanks. I know people used to believe the WD40 would cause deterioration of the O-rings in the chain, but apparently, it is mostly naptha ... which is similar to kerosene ... which is known to be a good chain cleaner (and is even recommended in some owner's manuals).

I apparently cannot post a link, but there is a YouTube video with the following title discusses this:
Will WD-40 Destroy Your Motorcycle Chain O-Rings? | MC GARAGE

However, this video points out that WD40 is a degreaser, not actually a lubricant. It is supposedly good at cleaning the chain, but then you are supposedly to apply some other kind of chain lubricant...

???
On a suggestion by Bill Watson (developer of the "Thermo-Bob") I tried nothing but WD40 on the OEM chain of my '08 V650 from NEW, and got over 56,000 MILES on it (including LOTS of dirt!) before replacing it. Bill then checked my chain (he's an engineer) and found that it was still w/in limits, but w/ ONE 'noisy' link. WD40 SEEMS to work for me....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, you've convinced me.

You probably ride more dirt than I will too...

WD40 it is.

:-)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Intervals for Chain lub is around 500miles, or if you feel your chain DRY or if your ride in wet very often lub it more. Just keep the chain slight wet all time, will reduce wear on chain and sprocket assembly. Try some oil, WD40, whatever you feel comfortable with, no harm done.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM

Keep practicing and getting those shifts smooth! Versys is an awesome bike!
Fastoman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode