greetings from the frozen north - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
greetings from the frozen north

Hello all,
I'm a new member on this forum but have been on the UK forum for awhile now. I bought my Versys in Feb. of '07, in the dead of winter. It was the 2nd V my dealer had sold. I've ridden it 20,000 kms over 2 seasons, and have enjoyed every moment of it. I'm finally getting around to making some modifications to the bike, most recently installing Speedy's footpeg lowering brackets and mirror extenders, as well as Oxford heated grips. I use the bike mainly for pleasure since my work as a general contractor requires that I haul tools and materials around most of the time, but once in awhile I can get things organized such that the truck can be left at home. There's already a couple of feet of snow on the ground so the bike has been put to bed for the winter - and a long winter it is up here in Ottawa. The V won't see pavement again until sometime in April. Ah well, gives me lots of time to catch up on what's been happening on this forum! Safe riding folks, those of you who are still at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 11:47 PM

Along with the heated grips, you should mount some studded tires and do a little ice racing! LOL! I feel your pain of not riding, it was a gorgeous sunny day in the Vancouver area today and now it's snowing. Sat in the garage and stared at the bike for 1/2 hour.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Hello all,
I'm a new member on this forum but have been on the UK forum for awhile now. I bought my Versys in Feb. of '07, in the dead of winter. It was the 2nd V my dealer had sold. I've ridden it 20,000 kms over 2 seasons, and have enjoyed every moment of it. I'm finally getting around to making some modifications to the bike, most recently installing Speedy's footpeg lowering brackets and mirror extenders, as well as Oxford heated grips. I use the bike mainly for pleasure since my work as a general contractor requires that I haul tools and materials around most of the time, but once in awhile I can get things organized such that the truck can be left at home. There's already a couple of feet of snow on the ground so the bike has been put to bed for the winter - and a long winter it is up here in Ottawa. The V won't see pavement again until sometime in April. Ah well, gives me lots of time to catch up on what's been happening on this forum! Safe riding folks, those of you who are still at it.
Welcome to this forum, for I also live in the north in FtMcMurray and its -32 here. My 2007 versys only has 10,000 kil. but may ride it to Ft.Francis this spring or summer. Take care.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 AM

Welcome to the forum!

It's a balmy 37F/3C this morning in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada. The falls haven't frozen over yet but getting there. Ice Wine season has started early due to the low temps.

We'll have to have an Ontario-wide Versys Riders meetup this summer.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 AM

Niagara Falls! Slowwwly I turn...

(I'm in California, can't relate except that it won't friggin snow on my ski mountian...)

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Well it's only about 65 F here in Dallas and it's a little chilly. We ride anyway, damn the cold!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Well it's only about 65 F here in Dallas and it's a little chilly. We ride anyway, damn the cold!

Don - you are just too hard-core.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum! It's currently 80 degrees here in San Antonio. I just got home from a quick trip & the weather was great for riding. Lots of bikes out today.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:34 PM

I pick up my brand new bike this Friday and it should warm up to about -20 C. Oh well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome, guys. This forum will help ease the forced withdrawal syptoms brought on by our long Canadian winter. Ocean, an all-Ontario ride would be great. I've yet to meet anyone else with this bike, and even at the Calabogie superbike races last spring, amidst a sea of motorcycles in the parking lot, mine was the only V.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Welcome Mt.
Will you be getting to Port Elgin over the holidays????
We have myself and another forum member in the Bruce Grey area. My wife works with a Versys owner I have told her to get him to join as well.
I think you will enjoy this forum, the UK one is great but this one has more locals.

muskie
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

We'll have to have an Ontario-wide Versys Riders meetup this summer.
Iv'e been thinking we should start an Ontario riders group here on the forum.
How does the" V ersys O ntario M otorcycl I ng T eam" or "VOMIT" for short sound.
Look pretty spiffy on the jackets eh.

muskie
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

VOMIT in Kawasaki green? I think we have a winner. We will indeed be up in Port Elgin over the holidays, visiting my wife's family. About an 8 hour drive from here. Yikes! The things we do for family, eh?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:19 PM

spring ride

Well my 07 V is tucked away for the winter. I picked it up in mid september and manged to put 2000km on it. I've only seen one other in Montreal, but the dealer told me he had sold all three that he recieved.
Come spring time I'll be looking to do some riding and if you want to do an easter Ontario or west Quebec run I could meet you up near Montabello and there is a great ride north towards Mount Tremblant.

Moe
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moflow View Post
Well my 07 V is tucked away for the winter. I picked it up in mid september and manged to put 2000km on it. I've only seen one other in Montreal, but the dealer told me he had sold all three that he recieved.
Come spring time I'll be looking to do some riding and if you want to do an easter Ontario or west Quebec run I could meet you up near Montabello and there is a great ride north towards Mount Tremblant.

Moe
Hey Moe,
My brother lives in St. Lazare and we often meet in Montebello to go rip up the backroads near there. The Versys is perfect for those rides because although the roads can be in quite poor condition, the bike is so nimble you can almost always find a decent line. But it sounds like you know the area, so you probably know that already. By all means, lets give it a go in the spring. BTW, where is the dealer in Montreal where you bought your bike? I grew up there, so I'm just curious.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Hi Versuvius,

I bought the bike at Motosport Newman. They had it in the showroom in LaSalle, but I had it delivered and picked it up on the south shore, which is closer to where I work and live. They made a great price, but apart from the first inspection to keep the warranty, I won't be back for any service work. I ususally do all my own maintenance and buy my gear online.
I lived in Ottawa for a number of years, but didn't have the bike then. I know the roads from previous rides and friends who have summer places up in the Laurentiens. I ride with a divers group of friends here in Monteal, but no other V owners so it would be fun to compare notes. I've been keen on this site for the technical sharing, so thoughout the course of the long winter, I'm sure we hit on the same threads.

Definately into a spring ride, or any tips on the best way (read cheapest) to get parts and equipment from dealers or the US.

Moe
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM

I picked up my new bike today and it was -25 degrees C. It was a little bit of a struggle pushing it through the snow to get into the shed but it's tucked away now. I guess it will stay there for a few months. Bummer.

Last edited by charly; 12-19-2008 at 08:17 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:18 AM

Welcome Mt.

Glad to here of another snow bound canadian on the forum. Only about 4 more months of snow, booooo!
________
Granny Old

Last edited by furley; 05-14-2011 at 06:07 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 AM

Hi MT.

Over hear in Seattle with couple feet of snow. My V is set up like yours and my truck for work keeps me from my V as well. Enjoy holidays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode