New From the Dry Side of Washington state. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

10Likes
  • 6 Post By foxpro
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By foxpro
  • 1 Post By foxpro
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New From the Dry Side of Washington state.

Howdy.A little about my M/C life. First off I cant believe i am back on a 650.Its hard to admit how smooth riding the Versys 650 twin is, Lovin this Scoot.I began my life on two wheels at the age of 12 that was when i was strong enough to pull in the clutch on my Pointer 90cc with rotary shift.You see i grew up in a family of flat trackers here in Eastern washington.My Brothers both older then i raced on local tracks all around washington and Idaho. I remember when good old Bob Knievel had his bike shop in Moses Lake and did daredevil shows at the local races.Thru the years we all became AMA Experts and earned enough points to buy Harley 750's.The triumphs were our mainstay in the early years along with the Bultacos for the short tracks.In the late 70's i lost my interest in flat track and moved on over the the road racing scene.I raced 550 production class, 750 production class and both 550 and 750 modified.Then moved up to superbike.At the age of 38 i hung up my helmet and just rode cross country in the dirt for a few years for fun.i thought i was done with motorcycles a few years back but one day i just got the itch again and bought a 1600 Vulcan for something to putt around on.I sold the Vulcan about three years ago and figured i was done till they thru dirt on my face .Just last week i was sitting around the house and thought it would be fun to go ride so i started looking at Craigslist and thought a sport touring bike would be fun.the Concourse perked my interest and i did a lot of research on the bike.I liked a lot of what i read but the weight o the bike, High octane demand and the fact that they ate tires did no appeal to me.I saw the Versys and thought hey is the bike i am looking for.fast enough to maintain Hwy speed,Smooth,easy on 87 octane and only one down fall --Chain drive LOL. I have to laugh as i road and raced chain drive bikes all my life.Long story long i bough or stole a 2008 with 5000 miles on it with a ton of mods and i love this thing.Its like riding my 450 KTM on the street.Well that's my story i am now 68 years old and still scootin.i like this site and have found some great info here so I am thanking all of the members here for sharing and supporting the Versys. Ill add some input where and when i feel i have something relevant and helpful.thanks for having me as a member, Appreciate it.
Fastoman, Smiley, Duffy and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

second post

Thanks for having me
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

cannot find first post

Guess I screwed up. Anyway , From Eastern Washington. Love this site.Been riding for 54 years, love the Versys.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada / Caught in Spam Filter

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read, please do a second post in this thread you started( if you haven't done so). Thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Wow I enjoyed reading about your long history with motorcycles. Interesting background you have.
I'm glad you discovered the 650. I have the X 300 model but I want the 650. At least I think I do. I'm looking to rent one first, preferably the 2015-up generation.

Please send us some pics of your Versys.

Thanks and welcome.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
aboard!

I haven't 'flat-tracked', but did run a Triumph fuel-dragbike before joining the Royal Canadian Air Force, then rode enduros in E Canada. (I'm "kinda" old, TOO!)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from another "oldie"....you didn't actually say but I'm guessing you're from around Moses Lake. Always liked that town.
jaaklucas likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you , Ill post some pictures sometime Its just a all black model( not my favorite) but the price was right I think i may paint it this winter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I am from a town called Connell , I am about 1 hour south of Moses, Between Othello and tri-Cities.Used to live in Moses for about 8 years its a great town as well but it was getting a little big for us.We now live on a bluff with a view you cannot believe,at the very end of a gravel road, Closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.we love it .
Duffy likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:30 PM

Welcome!
Great riding history and great region, have lived close to Couer d’Alene for almost an year (back in 95), have great memories.

Cheers
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:37 PM

Garage
Welcome! You mentioned Bultacos and that brought me right back to my youth. Many of my friends raced flat track competitively out of Western Washington. Now if you would have mentioned the hodaka road toad. Then I would have fallen out of my chair. Enjoy your new toy.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Ahhh the Hodaka, When I was a kid there was a guy named Harry Taylor from Athena Oregon, He was the hot shoe for Hodaka and I got to ride against him many many times, I even got to beat him once or twice.We used to race on the Wet side a lot,When I became a amature and all through our flat tracking days It was ,Castle rock , Graham,and Bellingham also short track up in Monroe Oh yeah and the half mile at Elma.The Bultacos were fast but ya had to rebuild them after every race.I got quite good at it LOL. Forgot to mention Jimmy Pomeroy was also one of the guys we used to hang with.He sucked at flat track but as you know he was really good at motocross.His Dad Don was a heck of a good rider also I remember when I was young he used to cross country on a Harley Sportster. Back in the day when Men were Men and they did enduros on triumphs,BSA and Harleys.I bought my first set of Leathers from a guy named Dick Mann, He was a friend of my older Brother.Another friend of my older brother was Gene Romero and Dave Aldana.Another really fast guy from Bellingham was Steve Baker and also Joe Kopp from spokane. AHHHH The good old days.
onewizard likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpro View Post
...Dick Mann... Gene Romero... Dave Aldana... AHHHH The good old days...!
-

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard and thanks for a awesome intro. Be well , Be safe.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:45 PM

Love the dry side! If the weather is wet here in Vancouver I go across highway 20 for majestic riding to central Washington. Mountains are receptors of bad weather and here it comes from the Pacific. Get on the east side of the Cascades and theres no more rain left to fall.At least thats the theory. But theres always a mountain pass or two to get there which could mean cold and wet,hopefully not snow or thunder and lightning.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Love the dry side! If the weather is wet here in Vancouver I go across highway 20 for majestic riding to central Washington. Mountains are receptors of bad weather and here it comes from the Pacific. Get on the east side of the Cascades and theres no more rain left to fall.At least thats the theory. But theres always a mountain pass or two to get there which could mean cold and wet,hopefully not snow or thunder and lightning.
You could always run over to Sequim over on the Pennisula. The banana belt of the Northwest. If you are looking for a rain shadow that's your place!

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
You could always run over to Sequim over on the Pennisula. The banana belt of the Northwest. If you are looking for a rain shadow that's your place!
Yea,been around the Olympic peninsula a couple of times. Also great riding but have to wait sometimes for the west coast part to warm up,I like to camp! Last time I went around the peninsula I looped back to Rainer from the south then back down the east side to Yakima then over to Othello to camp at the lake.What a contrast in temperature. 95 degrees in Yakima and the first thing I see is some Harley riders all dressed in white, they looked like desert Shieks! On the way to Hanover,I saw the strangest thing. A grass fire torched a giant field but the sage was still blue,looked like it survived the heat from that fire....
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey Foxpro it's nice to see another flat tracker on the forum.

I rode central California dist 35 scrambles for a couple of seasons then ventured down to Ascot in the early 70's and also San Jose.

Sounds like you had quite a career. You have made me curious if I would recognize your name?

Welcome to the forum and the super fun Versys
Jake Wheelie likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode