Vstrommer tempted by Versys, BUT....... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Vstrommer tempted by Versys, BUT.......

Hi all! I've been a Kawi lover since my first Z-1, back in the 70's. (yes,I'm old!!) I've had over 40 different bikes since then, but the last few years, have toned it down, to a 650 VStrom. My last Kawi was a Voyager XII tourer. Actually had 3 of those. Being without a Kawi makes me sad. I'm seriously considering a 2015+ 650 Versys, but just today, read a review claiming the Versys is 8 hp. less than the Vstrom? Is that possible? I can't believe Kawi would allow that! Have they done any power updates in later years? Thanks for any info y'all can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Garage
Greetings fellow old person!

The Versys 650 has about 59 bhp and 42 lb-ft of torque compared to the Vstrom’s 66 bhp and 44.5 lb-ft. of torque. I don’t think you’ll feel any real difference between those numbers because the Versys weighs 454 pounds versus the V-Strom at 490. Sort of a wash.

I think it will boil down to which bike works best for you. You really can’t go wrong with either, but of course we all know women naturally prefer a man on a Kawasaki!
funflyingguy likes this.

It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.

Andy Borowitz
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Actually, I think the quoted HP for the Gen3 is 68... Seems like plenty to me.

-dm

-dm

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
Actually, I think the quoted HP for the Gen3 is 68... Seems like plenty to me.

-dm
For 2015 Versys and Vstrom comparison reviews, I've seen 54, 61, and as high as 68 for the Kaw. As for weight, One review said the Kawi was 20 lbs less, another showed nearly identical, and another said the Versys weighs MORE than the Vstrom. Very confusing for someone trying to make an educated decision. Not sure it will make a difference in the end, as I REALLY wanna get back to a Kawi.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 PM

Garage
Theres your answer!

It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.

Andy Borowitz
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 PM

Horsepower is just a number. It's all about the smile and the little V-650 will indeed produce a big smile...actually lots of big smiles and miles.

I came from liter bikes and bigger. KTM 1190 just prior to the V-650. I have to say my 2015 V-650 is the most fun street bike I have owned.

Yea it does not make it to 100 as quick as an 1190 or liter bike. My riding buddy has a Yamaha FZ10 and that bike is just insane, but I am much faster than him in the twisties. This is where the Versys really shines.

If you have not ridden one, you definitely need to. With 17 inch wheels on both ends you will find it much more nimble than the trusty Vstrom.

Good luck.
SmoothRoad and Shibumik like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

trying out the versys wont hurt you that much since you had 40 overs bikes.

if you love Kaw than versys is it.
Shibumik likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

It's not a real big deal. But having had many much higher hp bikes, the 650 WeeStrom was quite a step down in power, so another 8 hp loss would be disappointing, altho' I don't think that number is accurate!. I was considering a Ninja 1000, Yam' fj-09, FJR, etc.......but time marches on, and I feel like it's time to factor in my age. I'll be on the lookout for a killer 650-V deal. Don't really care about luggage, 'cuz longish trips leave me in pain. 2015 or newer, preferably low mile garage queen. If anyone needs a quick cash sale, near NW Ohio, I'm your buyer!! Plenty of old ones out there, but I reeeally dislike the skinny headlight, which the Vstroms have now went to, dang it!!

Last edited by dmer; 06-20-2019 at 07:50 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
I ride the V1k and maybe you should try one. Surprisingly nimble, easy to manage, and ticks off a lot of boxes. About 27 pounds more than the V-Strom and 75 more than the Versys 650, which isnt a great difference in those weight ranges, there is a world of performance difference. At least you would be able to say you tried it. Ive seen some good prices on used ones as well. This is where poor Kawasaki resale value can benefit you.
funflyingguy likes this.

Andy Borowitz
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
I ride the V1k and maybe you should try one. Surprisingly nimble, easy to manage, and ticks off a lot of boxes. About 27 pounds more than the V-Strom and 75 more than the Versys 650, which isnt a great difference in those weight ranges, there is a world of performance difference. At least you would be able to say you tried it. Ive seen some good prices on used ones as well. This is where poor Kawasaki resale value can benefit you.
The V1k is a beauty, and definitely on my list, but being retired, the prices are still a little high for me. Plus, I'm only 5-8, so more weight on my tippy toes is a bad thing, lol. Poor resale seems to affect most Japanese models these days. Buying and selling so often has made me acutely aware of the need to find the screaming good, low mile deals. Many I've owned turned out to just be short term test rides, and didn't last long.
Shibumik likes this.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Inseam can be a problem on the V1k. Im 6 4. That helps.

Andy Borowitz
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Garage
First off, Welcome! You really need to get out and ride them all. Then see which ones check the most boxes for you. I came off an FJR to the Versys 650LT. I initially missed the power loss of the FJR. But the power and performance on the Versys is much more usable if that makes sense. What are your must haves or performance requirements of your new bike? Touring sounds as if it is not a must have on the future bike. If you want something for quick rides and pure fun factor. Then I would suggest the Versys. But I would also have these on my shortlist. The FJ09, FZ09 and FZ07. You can find some good deals on those as well. Happy hunting.
SmoothRoad likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Last edited by Craigar; 06-20-2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Cannot spell "fun" apparently.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 AM

I replaced my 2004 Wee Strom (with performance pipe) for a 2016 V650 (stock pipe). The Versys is quicker, and handles a little better. You won't be disappointed in the performance vs your Wee.
The main difference is the feel of the Strom's L-Twin vs the parallel twin of the V650 . The V650 is "buzzier" at higher rpm, and you have to keep it rev'd higher for maximum torque.
The lighter weight of the Versys is quite noticeable.
Either way, you can't go wrong with the Wee or the V650, both great bikes and solid performers.

Jay
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Riding them all is why I've owned so many bikes.lol It's impossible to judge suitability with a test ride of a few miles. So, I just find a good deal that's on my "list", and hope I'll ultimately like it. Usually works fine. If not, I switch into sell mode. I just sold an ST1300 that I had for less than 2 months/600 miles. I just can't bond with a Honda.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
I owned a 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII and was a member of the American Voyager Association.

You really need to ride a Versys. It is more FUN than a WeeStrom. I owned an '11 Versys and rode several WeeStroms for comparison.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I owned a 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII and was a member of the American Voyager Association.

You really need to ride a Versys. It is more FUN than a WeeStrom. I owned an '11 Versys and rode several WeeStroms for comparison.
Re the Voyager: I had a 96,2000, and 2003. Great bikes!! Then they replaced it with a VTwin.....GRRRRR!!
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
Riding them all is why I've owned so many bikes.lol It's impossible to judge suitability with a test ride of a few miles. So, I just find a good deal that's on my "list", and hope I'll ultimately like it. Usually works fine. If not, I switch into sell mode. I just sold an ST1300 that I had for less than 2 months/600 miles. I just can't bond with a Honda.

Not sure what part of Ohio you are from. But I see a low mileage 2016 Versys asking $5,500.00 on CL.
That's a fair deal at the asking price. Anything less is icing on the cake!

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Re the Voyager: I had a 96,2000, and 2003. Great bikes!! Then they replaced it with a VTwin.....GRRRRR!!
I put 60,000 miles on a Vulcan Voyager but I agree that it wasn't the same. I looked at trying the Goldwing but there was nothing I liked about the 1800 goldwing.

Just buy a nice Z900RS or the new W800 as a complement to the WeeStrom and call it a day.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
...The Versys 650 has about 59 bhp and 42 lb-ft of torque compared to the Vstrom’s 66 bhp and 44.5 lb-ft. of torque. I don’t think you’ll feel any real difference between those numbers because the Versys weighs 454 pounds versus the V-Strom at 490. Sort of a wash....
I bought my FIRST V650 (an '08) in Sep '08 after testing MANY bikes INCLUDING the VStrom which I described as feeling 'ponderous' in comparison. The HP figures I've seen seem to peg the Gen 3 V650s around 64HP, and it seems the Zero to 60 times replicate a ZR1 Corvette's. I DON'T think THOSE are "stones"....

Quote:
...Plus, I'm only 5-8, so more weight on my tippy toes is a bad thing....
FWIW - I am just OVER 5' 8", and once I set my "sag" properly, my V650s (I have TWO - an '08 AND a '15) go from "tippy-toe" when getting ON, to semi-flatfooting when I settle my weight (180# PLUS ATGATT gear).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-21-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:18 PM

Here's a link to Kawasaki's Demo Event Days.

https://www.kawasaki.com/experience/...ralFloridaLINK

If none of these work call a dealer and see if they have one you can test ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode