Greetings from Miami - about to purchase my 1st Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By fipenna
  • 1 Post By fipenna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Greetings from Miami - about to purchase my 1st Versys

Greetings everyone!

I'm about to pick-up my new (used) Versys 650 ABS. It's a 2014 with quite low mileage on it and in impeccable conditions, the current owner really takes good care of it.

I'm motorcycle licensed for several years but have not been riding "real motorcycles" for a while. My last "motorcycle" was a Piaggio MP3 scooter (a 3-wheeler, hence the prior " "), but sold it 7+ years ago when my first kid was born. Now I've finally convinced Mrs. it's time to get a new one....

Took a quick look at the forum already and I'm amazed with the great content. I'm interested in exploring it further to understand what are the attention points with the Gen 2 models, what you consider the "minimum" modifications to it, etc. If anyone can point me to where some of those contents are, thru sessions or links, it would be fantastic.

Also, anyone here from the South Florida area? Miami and surroundings?

Cheers!
funflyingguy and rsherman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you onwizard!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome from a 2014 owner (30K miles) and a former South Florida resident (MANY years ago, but I suspect the humidity hasn't changed )

Minimum mods? A full tank of gas and mesh gear - The Versys doesn't "need" anything to hop on and start riding.

Recommended mods? Personal, but here's what I have:
- SW Mototech case guards - if you ever tip over, these offer good protection (don't ask me how I know )
- Givi 47 liter top case - I have a long commute and carry a laptop

Things I have you probably don't need:
- Koso heated grips
- Barkbuster hand guards to deflect the cold wind

I'm 5' 7", 29" inseam, and have the stock ride height and seat, but the key is to make yourself comfortable.
(OK, so I also have "road hugging weight" that helps with the bike's height at stops :P

Enjoy!
Rob in KC
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard .Read on the sticky thread for MOD.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...osmetic-v-650/

Last edited by Fastoman; 06-19-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add info.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post
Welcome from a 2014 owner (30K miles) and a former South Florida resident (MANY years ago, but I suspect the humidity hasn't changed )

Minimum mods? A full tank of gas and mesh gear - The Versys doesn't "need" anything to hop on and start riding.

Recommended mods? Personal, but here's what I have:
- SW Mototech case guards - if you ever tip over, these offer good protection (don't ask me how I know )
- Givi 47 liter top case - I have a long commute and carry a laptop

Things I have you probably don't need:
- Koso heated grips
- Barkbuster hand guards to deflect the cold wind

I'm 5' 7", 29" inseam, and have the stock ride height and seat, but the key is to make yourself comfortable.
(OK, so I also have "road hugging weight" that helps with the bike's height at stops :P

Enjoy!
Rob in KC
Thanks Rob!

I'm indeed keen to add a crash bar (either SW-Mototech, Puig or Givi), hand guards and fork/arm sliders. Do you think the later is necessary?

I'm still thinking about the top case, as it requires quite an investment in the case itself, the base plate, the mount.... no less than $500 to have it up and running.

Other than those a USB outlet (any suggestions on those?) and likely a taller windscreen - although in South Florida some wind is welcome.... as you know very well, we only have to seasons here: hot and hotter! And you are right, the humidity hasn't gone anywhere.....

Rgds
Felipe
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fipenna View Post
... fork/arm sliders. Do you think the later is necessary?
Hmmm....probably a good idea, but don't know first hand because....

Quote:
I'm still thinking about the top case, as it requires quite an investment in the case itself, the base plate, the mount.... no less than $500 to have it up and running.
....yes Givi is NOT cheap, but this is my 3rd Givi topcase on three different bikes with over 100K miles on them, typically carrying far more than the recommended weight and they've worked flawlessly. Plus, they are excellent frame sliders! I'm not sure Givi intended them for that purpose, but they do keep parts of the bike off the ground. And they've survived other than scuffs
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Got it, makes sense! Will keep that in mind in the decision process.... It's odd also that those top boxes don't come in "kits", you have to buy it all separate and it's not easy to know exactly what you need.

Thank you!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...I'm indeed keen to add a crash bar (either SW-Mototech, Puig or Givi), hand guards and fork/arm sliders. Do you think the later is necessary?...
I have 'low-sided' at 20 to 30 mph in AZ w/ H-B crash bars (since replaced by SW-Motech ones to go w/ the skid-plate I had). Had MINIMAL damage to the bike and I do NOT think fork/arm sliders would have been benificial.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I have 'low-sided' at 20 to 30 mph in AZ w/ H-B crash bars (since replaced by SW-Motech ones to go w/ the skid-plate I had). Had MINIMAL damage to the bike and I do NOT think fork/arm sliders would have been benificial.

Thanks, nothing better than actual-true-real-experience.

Hope minimal damage happened to you as well! All ok?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:56 AM

Thank you onwizard!...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Hope minimal damage happened to you as well! All ok?....
Over the years I've broken ribs at least four or five times....

But ONLY one OTHER time on a motorcycle.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Guys, need some help on the forum....

I’ve been using A LOT the search function on the forum and found fantastic information, but several posts refer to the “How To Forum” section and I cannot find that session by any means!

Can someone walk me thru how to get there, please?

Thanks!
Felipe
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Guys, need some help on the forum....

I’ve been using A LOT the search function on the forum and found fantastic information, but several posts refer to the “How To Forum” section and I cannot find that session by any means!

Can someone walk me thru how to get there, please?

Thanks!
Felipe
Look at the photo of the Versys, in black it shows Home Forums Active Topics etc., click on forums, wait third down Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk under that is
How-To Forum

You can also search a topic using Tools *** Advanced search ***Search by Keyword
Keyword(s): *********you can then Search in Forum and scroll to the How To, that way it narrows the search. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/

Also it is alphabetical , as a example air compressor https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ompressor.html

Last edited by onewizard; 06-21-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Look at the photo of the Versys, in black it shows Home Forums Active Topics etc., click on forums, wait third down Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk under that is
How-To Forum

You can also search a topic using Tools *** Advanced search ***Search by Keyword
Keyword(s): *********you can then Search in Forum and scroll to the How To, that way it narrows the search. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/

Also it is alphabetical , as a example air compressor https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ompressor.html
Perfect, thank you!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Updating this post, today I went to pick-up the new toy, and indeed is in pristine conditions, 1 owner, with 1297 miles.

It was about 150 miles away from me, so went with a friend (a lot more experienced than me on riding the I-95 - which I ever did - and overall, he’s been riding for 35 years) and he drove back. Even though he rides a Tiger 800 he was quite impressed with the performance.

Now it’s a matter of just start enjoying it.
onewizard likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Now it’s a matter of just start enjoying it....
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode