New owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimbobob
  • 1 Post By Jimbobob
  • 1 Post By Jimbobob
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By Jimbobob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

I've been riding for several years. I'm currently riding an 06 Concours and a KLR 650. My girlfriend's became interested in learning to ride last year. Bought her a Vulcan 750 to learn on. She's decided she's had enough of the cruiser life. We looked at lots of different bikes. She settled on the Versys 650. Bought her an 08 earlier this week. She's loving it, and I've been pretty impressed with it myself. Looking forward to learning more about it and talking with you guys and gals!
Beezerboy likes this.

Last edited by Jimbobob; 06-14-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

aboard both of you. Enjoy your ride and be safe.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Forgot to mention, I'm in Northeast NC. Hopefully will get to take a trip to the mountains this fall and let my girlfriend enjoy some twisties on her new-to-her bike.
Fastoman likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read
impressive for a woman, she must be tall, also good that she is experienced on other bikes. The Versys is very unique.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

She's actually not that tall. Already ordered a lowering link for the rear and will be sliding the forks up. She really liked the way the bike handled and especially liked the seating position, so we'll get it lower in order to make it work for her.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Garage
might not like it as much lowered. hope it works for you though!! I owned an '06 Connie and '05 KLR too... bought both new. welcome!

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

30 inch inseam / 07 & 2015 Lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobob View Post
She's actually not that tall. Already ordered a lowering link for the rear and will be sliding the forks up. She really liked the way the bike handled and especially liked the seating position, so we'll get it lower in order to make it work for her.
I find even lowered I have been in precarious positions where I am in a hollow and barely able to touch, add loose gravel and you get the picture, hence the crash bars. I found the bike seems to corner even better lowered, I stated this in another thread. Crash bars would be a second benefit.
Beezerboy likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

She has about a 30 inseam. It's already taken a dirt nap with her. Barely moving, on sloping ground. Over it went. Bought it with SW Motech crash bars already installed. They saved the day. No damage! 👍
onewizard and Oldandslow like this.

Last edited by Jimbobob; 06-14-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Once you have it lowered, not sure the status of the bike as to valve shim, brake fluid , tires etc. , but the TPS setting can turn the bike into a awesome bike just by tweaking it, posted originally by Invader. We have come a long way as I now have VDC settings for this using a adapter harness, used on both main and sub-throttle assemblies. Trust me when I had the 2007 I came closs to selling it within 3 months of owning it, discovered the TPS thread that turned the bike from a POS to a wild beast , yes wheelies in 1st second and if really trying 3rd also.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Onewizard, we'll be changing all fluids, just to be safe. And once I get a chance to get a shop manual, I'll pop the valve covers and check/adjust the valves. I do all my own service work, but this will be my first FI bike. PO owned the bike for only about 6 months and put 360 miles on it. The stealership he bought it from, didn't have any service records on it. Bike has 20,590 miles on it. Someone rode it! If it's like my other Kawis, that's just getting broken in though. I paid 2K with Givi side luggage and top case, Givi windscreen, and Motech crash bars.

I'll be looking into this performance upgrade that you speak of. If there's a beast somewhere in that bike, he must be well hidden. I'd (not necessarily my girlfriend) like to have more power! 💪

Last edited by Jimbobob; 06-15-2019 at 06:37 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Also will be needing tires in less than a thousand miles. Currently on Pilot Road 3s. Open to suggestions on replacements. Looked at pirelli angels. They're highly regarded over on the COG forum. Any one tire stand out for on-road usage?

Last edited by Jimbobob; 06-15-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode