Very proud new owner of a '15 650. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

5Likes
  • 4 Post By TheSaltyDalty
  • 1 Post By TheSaltyDalty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool Very proud new owner of a '15 650.

Hello all,

After months of shopping and saving, I am proud to say that I'm now the owner of a white Versys 650LT with 12.8k miles.

I finally finished the sale process at the dealership around 9pm, and immediately took off up the road to Los Angeles (I live in San Diego) for a longer 'test ride'. I just couldn't wait to see how it was on the highway. Coming from an '01 Ninja 250, the difference is night and day. I've ridden the Ninja to LA plenty of times, and I always thought it was fantastic, so imagine my joy as I comfortably cruised up the 5 at 80 mph and still had some power on tap.

My bike came with a 12v plug, and highway bars (which I will now never own a bike without putting highway bars on them), plus I had them knock $25 off a new phone mount at the dealer, so I wasn't scared to go get lost in The City of Angels, knowing I could easily find my way back home.

Of course, being new to the height and weight of this bike, I've been taking it quite easy so as not to find my limits until I have crash bars and whatnot, however, I'm pleased at how well balanced it feels, and a very smooth power delivery. I was nervous that coming from the 250, it would be a bit much to handle. I can flat foot it comfortably, and I think my almost three years on the Ninja have really prepared me for this step up.

Having now put a little over 400 miles on it, I do think that I will go down a couple of teeth in the rear. First gear feels 'harsh' and short, and I'd like to mitigate that 'dropped anchor' feeling when I slightly roll of the throttle. I will put another thousand miles on before I make my decision, but I feel confident based on my research that it will be a step in the right direction for me.

I look forward to being an active member of this community!

-Dalton
Beezerboy, DavidH, Kyle E and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Congrats on your Versys!

You should get in touch with Steve in Sunny FL and discuss his flash. Might be better than changing sprockets.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Congrats on your Versys!

You should get in touch with Steve in Sunny FL and discuss his flash. Might be better than changing sprockets.
I will do that when I can bear to leave my bike sitting for a couple of days! I'll admit that I'm not the best judge of when chain/sprockets should be changed, so part of me was thinking I'll change them at 15k, and then from then on know for sure how old they are and that they've been maintained.

How well does the ECU flash 'stretch' out first gear?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaltyDalty View Post
I will do that when I can bear to leave my bike sitting for a couple of days! I'll admit that I'm not the best judge of when chain/sprockets should be changed, so part of me was thinking I'll change them at 15k, and then from then on know for sure how old they are and that they've been maintained.

How well does the ECU flash 'stretch' out first gear?

Steve's (Shoodabenengineering.com) flash will help with every gear! Call him, talk with him and he can explain things a lot better than I can. He's a stand-up guy and he won't steer you wrong.

As for the chain, most clean and lube every 300-500 miles, unless there's lots of dirt/mud or rain - then clean it as soon as you get home!
Chains can go for 20K+ miles or break down within 5K. Depends on the brand and maintenance. I generally check the chain slack and when it gets too "stretched", or ya can't extend the chain adjustor any longer, time for a change!
FYI - my stock chain went 10K before it had bad links, much sooner than any of my other bikes, so it happens. Also, change the sprockets out as well with a new chain! (Have fun with the front sprocket nut!)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaltyDalty View Post
...Having now put a little over 400 miles on it, I do think that I will go down a couple of teeth in the rear....
Just bare in mind that IF you ever travel into "uncivilized country" where you end up in FIRST gear, you MIGHT not want your gearing raised.

(I'm quite happy w/ stock gearing, because I HAVE been in situations where I NEEDED the lower gearing.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Welcome! As a rider in LA with a 2016, I can tell ya itís great!

Definitely look into wheel sliders and crash bars too. They help a ton. Also, I went down to a 43 rear and it improved highway considerably. A bit tall, so you canít really go 2-4mph comfortably, but you can really utilize the first gear well. Iíd say stick with 44 for a better middle ground.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Steve's (Shoodabenengineering.com) flash will help with every gear! Call him, talk with him and he can explain things a lot better than I can. He's a stand-up guy and he won't steer you wrong.

As for the chain, most clean and lube every 300-500 miles, unless there's lots of dirt/mud or rain - then clean it as soon as you get home!
Chains can go for 20K+ miles or break down within 5K. Depends on the brand and maintenance. I generally check the chain slack and when it gets too "stretched", or ya can't extend the chain adjustor any longer, time for a change!
FYI - my stock chain went 10K before it had bad links, much sooner than any of my other bikes, so it happens. Also, change the sprockets out as well with a new chain! (Have fun with the front sprocket nut!)
I will be sure and reach out to him! Already, I'm very surprised how hard this bike 'drops anchor' when letting off the throttle. At first, I chalked it up to just being a much larger bike/engine than the 250, but after reading through the posts on this site, it seems to be an ECU specific thing.

As for the chain, it looks to be in top notch condition, there's still plenty of space left to tighten it, I guess I'm just anxious to do some maintenance, and it doesn't seem there's much to do unfortunately.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Just bare in mind that IF you ever travel into "uncivilized country" where you end up in FIRST gear, you MIGHT not want your gearing raised.

(I'm quite happy w/ stock gearing, because I HAVE been in situations where I NEEDED the lower gearing.)

Based on your reply, I will probably wait until I get the ECU flash, and see if that does the trick. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for just because I'm so new to the V and don't know what she can do yet.

I intend to try some 'uncivilized' type riding soon, but not until I can get crash bars at a minimum. After I do so, I should have a better idea of what kind of riding I intend to do, though currently, I intend to do 95/5 road/off-road.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 PM

Garage
Welcome! Good to read you are enjoying the new ride.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Salty, welcome aboard!

Echoing the others about the ECU flash. Do it! I was considering a sprocket change at first but the flash cured all those issues! If I could, I would add a 7th gear for highway.

I now loaf around town at 2500-4000 rpm without any jerky throttle or lugging. The overall riding experience is vastly improved in all situations.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode