Hello from Texas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackjack East
  • 1 Post By txcyclist
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Modene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Texas

Hello all. My wife is now the proud owner of a 2008 Versys 650. Bike only has 2k miles on it. I’m getting ready to install T-Rex guards and Motowerks lowering link. Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD9EBC29-94DB-4761-A41F-4A1273277660_1559147205125.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	163945  
Modene likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I look forward to getting to participate in upcoming topics

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
aboard!

IF those are the ORIGINAL tires - install NEW ones before she crashes!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack East View Post
Hello all. My wife is now the proud owner of a 2008 Versys 650. Bike only has 2k miles on it. Iím getting ready to install T-Rex guards and Motowerks lowering link. Any advice is appreciated.
Welcome from another Texan. Tell your wife to join as well. I'd love not to be the only other woman on here.
Fastoman likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:13 PM

Garage
Welcome from Friendswood TX
I essentially have the same bike. And in the past year have done a lot of set up and farkeling.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/welcomesign.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome Sign" >:-)</a> aboard!

IF those are the ORIGINAL tires - install NEW ones before she crashes!
The tires are dated 2007, but they have plenty of tread. Should be fine&#x1f601;. Joking. I’m trying to decide between Shinzo ravens or podiums. Any advice on budget tire choices?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard and hope she enjoys the ride.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
The tires are dated 2007, but they have plenty of tread. Should be fine&#x1f601;. Joking. Iím trying to decide between Shinzo ravens or podiums. Any advice on budget tire choices?
My only advice on budget tires is "don't save on tires" But I know what you mean. What kind of riding will you be doing? I've just ordered a set of Avon Trail Riders for my 2008 Versys, after reading and watching tons of reviews, but if you're going off the black stuff more often than me, you might want to look for something with better offroad credentials.

..be one of the good guys.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:14 PM

Hello from West Texas. Flat,Dusty, but not this month .
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
The tires are dated 2007, but they have plenty of tread. Should be fine&#x1f601;. Joking. Iím trying to decide between Shinzo ravens or podiums. Any advice on budget tire choices?
I run SHINKO E705s on my V650s, so I can 'continue' when the pavement ends, and they work PDG for me.

Randyjaco likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 PM

Hereís my week old 2019 Beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B05943A-951D-4486-B475-D1EAADA2C8FE.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	163961  
txcyclist likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:27 PM

Garage
Welcome from DFW!

I've done quite a bit of modifying to my '09, what parts in specific are you looking to swap or upgrade? So far I think I've covered most of the bike except for the rear suspension and engine internals.

Shinko 705's
Racetech 1.0kg front springs
Rox 2" Bar risers
Mika Pro 1 1/8" bars
Progrip 714 grips
Sato Racing bar ends + weights
G2 Throttle Tamer
44t Rear sprocket (-2)
15t solid front sprocket
Seatconcepts seat (foam and grippy cover)
Cyclops ADV LED headlights

And some other odds and ends. Crash bars and skid plate are going on tonight/this weekend.

If I could only change 3 things on the bike though - 44/43T rear, G2 tamer, and the Cyclops LED lights. And I'd just rip the windshield straight off.

Quote:
Mine had Shinko 009's when I got it from the dealership, and they lasted me quite well. The front went for 10k before it started getting near the wear bars, and honestly I probably could have gone for another oil change or two before replacing them.

Pirelli Sprint ST went on the rear after a short series of flats, and I absolutely loved that, even better than the Diablo Supercorsa that was on there for a short while. I just put on some Shinko 705's recently, and I'm actually quite liking them. If you're going to be off pavement at all, I'd recommend them. If you're going to be staying on the pavement, the 009's were alright for budget but the Sprint ST's can be found for <$100/ea right now, so I don't see a reason not to go with those, they are definitely better. Though I will say, their profile takes a little adjusting, as they really like to fall into the corners. They're a bit aggressive, but for a torquey bike with my dumb wrist, getting near 10k out of the rear and only just reaching the wear bar made me pretty happy.

If you're ever over towards DFW, hit me up! You're welcome to check it out, and I've got a small collection of windshields you can try out to see what does and doesn't work. I've got a Cee Baily 18", stock, V-Stream, MRA vario addon for the V-stream, and a Madstad bracket.

And I'm still not sure I've found a setup that works better than just ripping everything off and running it without even the OEM brackets. I don't know who designed the windshield aerodynamics of this bike for 6' tall people, but I don't like them.

Anything's a dirt bike if you're not a lil b**ch

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode