First Motorcycle - Versys-x 300 Rider - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

First Motorcycle - Versys-x 300 Rider

Hello all, I just bought my first motorcycle (2018 Versys-x 300) on 2019 May 7. Completed my motorcycle course to advance my license to M2 on the following weekend. This allowed me to insure/register/license my motorcycle on 2019 May 13. So, I've been just riding mostly in town (Deep River, Ontario) to get used to moving, shifting, turning off my turn signal, etc. I did a few short stints on the highway, getting up to 110 km/hr. But, the bike is still in the break-in phase. The odometer reads about 350 km, 650 km to go!

On a side note - is it normal for a motorcycle to pass on the right tire track of my lane (I was in the left tire track, keeping up with traffic in an 80 km/hr zone)? I don't know if it makes a difference, but he was riding a Harley and it seems like he wanted to catch up with the Harley that was two cars in front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome From South Central Ontario

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read

Are you saying you where in the curb lane or in what would be called the passing lane with a multi-lane highway in Ontario? If it is a single lane, and passing on the right is downright dangerous. On a multi-lane it is perfectly legal to pass on the right.

After reading again, sounds like a single lane and you are closer to the center line, dude passed between you and the shoulder, this is where it is important to be observant both in front and behind, it would have been easier for you to move right, even signal right and motion for Harley to pass on left.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-28-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it was single lane road (80 km/hr). I was closer to the center line. I didn't even realize he wanted to pass (he wasn't tailgating me or anything). Is there a signal that I should be looking for when a motorcyclist wants to pass me so that I can be courteous by moving to the right half of the lane and signal to let him/her pass me on the left side of the lane?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

aboard and enjoy your ride.

if you have time , look up on Lane splitting and be careful.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:46 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard. Is lane sharing legal where you ride? It is illegal in all the states I ride in and doing that is a dangerous maneuver if the person you are passing doesn't know you are about to do that. You could have easily moved to the right side of the lane while he was attempting that pass because you would never expect some idiot to be doing that.

Doesn't matter that he was on a Harley or a Ducati or a Hondasuzukawasakama. There are jerk riders on all brands of motorcycles and courteous riders on all brands of motorcycles.
Smiley likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by az29okg View Post
...On a side note - is it normal for a motorcycle to pass on the right tire track of my lane (I was in the left tire track, keeping up with traffic in an 80 km/hr zone)? I don't know if it makes a difference, but he was riding a Harley and it seems like he wanted to catch up with the Harley that was two cars in front.
That guy was/IS an "asshat" and a jerk - that pass was VERY dangerous!
Beezerboy and Smiley like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Hello from Vancouver Island! Stick to your motorcycle training - sounds like you got off to a sound start. Are you likely to be a weekend rider or daily commuter or both? And what colour did you choose?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I commuted to work 3 times last week. I have been getting out every evening for 30 min to 60 min to practice starting/shifting/stopping in town. I got the red Kawasaki Versys-X 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekes17 View Post
Hello from Vancouver Island! Stick to your motorcycle training - sounds like you got off to a sound start. Are you likely to be a weekend rider or daily commuter or both? And what colour did you choose?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:40 AM

Welcome.

No that was not a "normal" pass. If lane splitting/filtering is not legal where you live, motorcycles aren't legally allowed to pass each other in the same lane. However, it is common courtesy to wave a faster rider by, but if you choose to do that (your choice), get over to the right side of the lane and they pass on the left.

Where lane splitting is legal, you only pass moving vehicles on the left side of the lane, on multi lane highways typically the space between the left lane and the HOV lane is the unofficial "motorcycle lane", you will mainly see this in California. Filtering around stopped traffic by riding on the shoulder is a bit of a gray area in place where splitting is legal.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:25 PM

Garage
no. only legal in California as far as I know

welcome. don't do what he did.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode