New here! Versys X-300 Burning oil! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

New here! Versys X-300 Burning oil!

Hey everyone! I am new and need help. My brand new X-300 has been burning about 6 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. I asked the dealership mechanic who does my oil changes about full synthetic and he said Kawsaki says not to use that. There is nothing wrong with this bike, anyone with oil ideas please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 PM

That's 1 qt. every 500 miles. something is very wrong. I use synthetic in my versys 650. How ever I doubt that synthetic is going to cure your oil burning problem. does the engine smoke? Is it possible that you are leaking oil rather than burning it? At 1 qt. every 500 miles the bike should be smoking like a tar kiln.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
Unless this is a joke, you had better find a new dealer. There is no way that that bike should be using any oil.
turn8a and Skypilot 69 like this.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

NO joke. Maybe I am embellishing a bit but I promise it is burning about a pint every 400-600 miles, no smoke, no problems, just took it in for the second oil change a bit ago. I found a better recommended shop I'll have it looked at. Either way could someone fill me in on whether synthetic will hurt my engine like the dealer ja telling me? They are saying i shouldn't use synthetic and that this Bike is prone to burning oil like this because I had them call Kawasaki because I have protection plus warranty and they said Kawasaki said this Bike is known to burn oil like crazy. Like I said I found a recommended shop I'll take it to so they can give me a better idea. Either way if anyone could till me in on whether full synthetic is a good idea and what kind i should use that would be great!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

No leaking oil and no other problems. It ride likes a dream but I am running through regular 10W-40 regular Castrol that they reccomend like it is going out of style. I also mostly put around my small town, I mean i hit 1100 rpms once in awhile and have some fun but I am an old car guy and know how to take care of my cars/bikes so I am really wondering what is going on here and wanting to know if synthetic would hurt my pistons like they are telling me or if switching to full synthetic is a good idea because it just hit 6000 miles.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Find a New Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHouben View Post
No leaking oil and no other problems. It ride likes a dream but I am running through regular 10W-40 regular Castrol that they reccomend like it is going out of style. I also mostly put around my small town, I mean i hit 1100 rpms once in awhile and have some fun but I am an old car guy and know how to take care of my cars/bikes so I am really wondering what is going on here and wanting to know if synthetic would hurt my pistons like they are telling me or if switching to full synthetic is a good idea because it just hit 6000 miles.
I have had a Versys 2007 and now a 2015 Versys 650 ABS , my dealer's head mechanic told me I could have run full synthetic from the very start. I run Mobile 1 15/50.
I can tell you, at roughly 15,000 miles I don't use even a ounce of oil between changes. Something is seriously wrong.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
NO joke. Maybe I am embellishing a bit but I promise it is burning about a pint every 400-600 miles, no smoke, no problems, just took it in for the second oil change a bit ago. I found a better recommended shop I'll have it looked at. Either way could someone fill me in on whether synthetic will hurt my engine like the dealer ja telling me? They are saying i shouldn't use synthetic and that this Bike is prone to burning oil like this because I had them call Kawasaki because I have protection plus warranty and they said Kawasaki said this Bike is known to burn oil like crazy. Like I said I found a recommended shop I'll take it to so they can give me a better idea. Either way if anyone could till me in on whether full synthetic is a good idea and what kind i should use that would be great!
Don't take it the wrong way but, what country are you in, as this post resembles a spammer. The comment about Kawasaki stating it is known to burn oil, seems like a bit of misinformation. Lots of X300 members on here from the very first introduction of the model. So tell us what country and where you are. I am watching closely, a response in less than 48 hours is recommended.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Why would I be spamming???? That makes zero sense. You want my social also? Very rude. My username is literally my name I live in Davis California and PCP motorsports in Sacramento that sold me the bike told me that is Exactly what Kawasaki told them, that this bike is prone to burning oil. I seriously just want help understanding my new Bike and also if I should use full synthetic. You can watch this post all you want, I have no idea why someone would waste their time making something up like this, that is silly my friend. I am typing off my phone so I made a few spelling errors big whoop buddy. Goodness gracious

Sincerely,

Max Houben DM if you want my number buddy
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

So sorry I forgot, USA, Davis, California 95618. Bike is a 2017 Versys X-300 ABS with about 6500 miles and I got it last August I believe with 300 miles on it. Literally this is my first forum and I WAS excited to have some good feedback, I read these forums all the time and this is the first time I have ever wanted help so yeah, would be nice to just have some good feedback lol instead of "I recommend you post in 48 hours" really dude you are threatening me???? So silly and rude.

Last edited by MaxHouben; 05-16-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 PM

Max,

Check with Roseviille Powersports. They seem to be trustworthy and have been great for me. That is strange that PCP would say Kawasaki would say that kind of oil consumption is normal as no one else on our forum has mentioned such a thing.

I think that Onewizard May have seemed to come on hard as we have some weird posters on here from time to time that seem to try to stir up trouble.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

If what PCP motorsports is telling me Kawasaki is saying and it all is total BS, that is exactly what I want to know. This dealership hasn't treated me well since after I first bought it and I have done nothing but give them good business buying this Motorcycle and by bringing it back to them so they can service it because I thought that by checking all my boxes I was making sure they couldn't void my warranty. I am saying I thought I was making all the right moves but it sounds like you guys are telling me this place is feeding me a line of lies, why? I guess that is anyone's guess. Either way, I will make sure there isn't something terribly wrong with the bike by taking it to Good Times Kawasaki instead which comes recommended from my Electrician friend who has been riding his whole life. Then, If the general consensus is that using full synthetic is the way to go I will do that and would love for you guys to tell me what a solid brand is here in America. It is just weird because even the second shop I am taking it to said that full synthetic will wear out my clutch faster, I would love to know if that is misinformation as well. I know a lot about old cars I have a 64 El Camino with an original small block 283 but I am brand new to motorcycles. That is why I bought this X-300 because I did heavy research and this seemed like a perfect starter bike for me being fast enough to have fun with the Ninja engine but not fast enough to kill myself lol. Anyways like I said I am just looking for help, not a spammer and sorry if I got upset I just have never been accused of that before.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Max,

Check with Roseviille Powersports. They seem to be trustworthy and have been great for me. That is strange that PCP would say Kawasaki would say that kind of oil consumption is normal as no one else on our forum has mentioned such a thing.

I think that Onewizard May have seemed to
come on hard as we have some weird posters on here from time to time that seem to try to stir up trouble.

Thanks a bunch my friend! I will take it there or Good Times. I have no idea why it is burning oil like crazy. It didn't seem normal to me at all, I have a feeling there might be something wrong with the bike and PCP is just not being legit with me I guess. It is a bummer when you spend 6 grand somewhere and treat them with respect and then take care of your bike to only have a place as big and successful as PCP turn around and give you a load of crap. I am still wondering if full synthetic wears out anything like Good Times said it would wear my clutch out faster. I have seen people on these forums saying they switched to synthetic and their clutch started slipping, anyways any info on what oil I should use once I make sure the bike isn't messed up would be greatly appreciated.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch my friend! I will take it there or Good Times. I have no idea why it is burning oil like crazy. It didn't seem normal to me at all, I have a feeling there might be something wrong with the bike and PCP is just not being legit with me I guess. It is a bummer when you spend 6 grand somewhere and treat them with respect and then take care of your bike to only have a place as big and successful as PCP turn around and give you a load of crap. I am still wondering if full synthetic wears out anything like Good Times said it would wear my clutch out faster. I have seen people on these forums saying they switched to synthetic and their clutch started slipping, anyways any info on what oil I should use once I make sure the bike isn't messed up would be greatly appreciated.
Synthetic oil is great IF the oil you are using has a JASO MA rating, it is rated for use in a 4 stroke motorcycle with engine oil running in the gearbox and clutch. Since most motorcycles use a wet clutch, oils which have extra cleaning additives (not JASO MA rating) can make the clutch slip. Actually, my bike shifts and has better clutch action with synthetic oil, and it sure as heck won't wear out your engine!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Synthetic oil is great IF the oil you are using has a JASO MA rating, it is rated for use in a 4 stroke motorcycle with engine oil running in the gearbox and clutch. Since most motorcycles use a wet clutch, oils which have extra cleaning additives (not JASO MA rating) can make the clutch slip. Actually, my bike shifts and has better clutch action with synthetic oil, and it sure as heck won't wear out your engine![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
So as long as the synthetic I buy has a JASO MA rating I should be better than fine correct? So weird that two shops told me otherwise, I just do not understand people sometimes lol. I guess they are just telling me what Kawasaki recommends for that bike maybe? Anyways if you could let me know what some good Synthetic brands with the ratings are that would cater to my X-300 that would be awesome! Thank you so very much for all your help!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Best to change your oil and never heard a Kawa burning OIL. You might have got some low grade oil and not in line with your engine requirement. Keep Informed.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Synthetic oil is great IF the oil you are using has a JASO MA rating, it is rated for use in a 4 stroke motorcycle with engine oil running in the gearbox and clutch. Since most motorcycles use a wet clutch, oils which have extra cleaning additives (not JASO MA rating) can make the clutch slip. Actually, my bike shifts and has better clutch action with synthetic oil, and it sure as heck won't wear out your engine![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
So as long as the synthetic I buy has a JASO MA rating I should be better than fine correct? So weird that two shops told me otherwise, I just do not understand people sometimes lol. I guess they are just telling me what Kawasaki recommends for that bike maybe? Anyways if you could let me know what some good Synthetic brands with the ratings are that would cater to my X-300 that would be awesome! Thank you so very much for all your help!

Also, sorry for all my posts. How do I know if it has that rating? I am looking at all these different oils and they talk about the additives especially for 4 strokes like you are saying but I see nothing about that rating. Also, is there a reason why I would pick anything besides fully synthetic? I see blend, and also something that said ester based fully synthetic I could of spelt that wrong but I have never heard of that. Again, thanks for all the help!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Best to change your oil and never heard a Kawa burning OIL. You might have got some low grade oil and not in line with your engine requirement. Keep Informed.
I was using what the Kawasaki dealership specifically told me to run and it has been burning oil like I have never experienced. No leak, no smoke from the exhaust, nothing. If there is a leak, it is leaking on something that is burning it before it can hit the ground and I can catch it. I am taking it to a different shop since it seems my experience with PCP has been mediocre at best. It was Castrol 4T 10W-40 just regular oil not synthetic. The place I bought the bike from and another shop told me not to use synthetic and even went as far as saying it could hurt my bike and wear out my clutch faster. I thought I was being super legit and following everything to the T that way they couldn't void my protection plus warranty I paid for, turns out this place may not be looking out for my best interest like I thought they were 😞 Thanks to you guys and the forum I am finding out that is pretty much a load of baloney and if I use the correct fully synthetic I should be better than fine lol (;
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:22 AM

You will JASO MA listed in the description of certifications on the back of the bottle. Amsoil and Mobile One full synthetic come to mind. Lots of people swear by synthetic, others still prefer regular oil. Your bike should not be consuming either kind.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You will JASO MA listed in the description of certifications on the back of the bottle. Amsoil and Mobile One full synthetic come to mind. Lots of people swear by synthetic, others still prefer regular oil. Your bike should not be consuming either kind.
Beautiful, and thank you very much. Interesting, so either way it shouldn't be burning oil...... Hmmmm, well hopefully this new shop gets it all squared away. I have had such bad luck these days I am going to be seriously upset If this basically brand new bike is faulty. Uhg, I am just burned out on problems. I bought this bike and paid all this money for something new (the girl who took it back only rode it a couple hundred miles one trip and decided it wasnt for her) so to me basically brand new, I got it so I WOULDN'T have to deal with issues like all my beater used cars I am used to dealing with lol. Now it for sure sounds like there is 100% something wrong if it is burning all that oil. I am kind of connecting the dots and I think PCP is feeding me false stuff because they dont want to admit to maybe selling me a bike that possibly had something wrong with it. It was burning oil right away as soon as I got it, so now I am really glad I decided to take it somewhere else. Thanks so much for all your help and correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like there isn't much evidence for either oil being better? Just people who swear by one and people who swear by the other? Anyways, I just want the best for my bike, plus it takes me to work and school. I have been riding almost year round in CA with this bad boy and I need it working right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode