2009 Kawasaki versys 650 high pitch noise - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Brad906
  • 2 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By Brad906

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2009 Kawasaki versys 650 high pitch noise

Hello all, I am new to this forum, but I am seeking any help they may narrow down my problem. I have a 2009 kawasaki versys and the battery has a draw coming from it, when the bike is turned off (yes, off with the key out of the ignition), I can hear a high pitch noise coming from what seems to be near the throttle body. When the battery is disconnected the noise goes away. The bike runs and rides fine, other than having to jump it for the first ride of the day each day in order to give it enough boost to actual turn the bike over. Once the bike is ridden the alternator keeps the battery charged all day and I have no problems. Yesterday my low beam headlight just went out and it is a brand new bulb that was just replaced, wondering if this may have something to do with the power draw/noise. Any suggestions on what to try? Currently don't know what to try and or do as my next step. Recently also replaced fuses to the turn signals/tail light and brake lights, but all of those are still fine just my low beam has gone out. Thanks for the read and any knowledge or wisdom shared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
09 Versys 650 owner

Hello everyone, just another versys owner looking to soak in all the information this forum has to offer.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the information hot tub!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard.

On your problem; If you remove the key and you hear high pitch noise, than your ignition switch is faulty. Just try some electronic spray in the key hold and keep fingers cross. ( High pitch noise is from the fuel pump). Low bean is connected to your switch, so it might be, the fault is at the Ignition Switch.

Or try a few twisting action on the ignition with the key and see if it works..

Hang in there as others will chip in..
Randyjaco likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:50 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read

As to your first post, your bike a 09, I would do a stator test https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...eams-dead.html

More detail in the How To Forum but you need full member for access. You should also check your volts DC once the bike has been running for a hour, FYI boosting a bike and running like this repeatedly usually = a burnt stator and or regulator failure. You mention blown fuses, your regulator may have already failed partially in the shunt part, check your volts DC at about 2500 -3000 RPM , it should be 14.5 volts or less, I have seen the OEM regulator hit 15 volts, we recently had a member with a similar problem, it took out his ECU, replaced the stator and regulator, he was in the UK and was lucky to get a used ECU at a reasonable price.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Any chance there is a bit of over thinking the issues here? Is the low battery each day the symptom that determined the bike has a draw? Are you positive the high pitched nose isn't simply the fuel tank venting as any Kawasaki owner is familiar with? If the bike runs all day after the first start it's probably charging ok and you simply have a battery on it's last leg. The "keep it simple" philosophy will usually yield a good result or at least insure a better outcome in finding the real problem.
16VGTIDave likes this.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
Any chance there is a bit of over thinking the issues here? Is the low battery each day the symptom that determined the bike has a draw? Are you positive the high pitched nose isn't simply the fuel tank venting as any Kawasaki owner is familiar with? If the bike runs all day after the first start it's probably charging ok and you simply have a battery on it's last leg. The "keep it simple" philosophy will usually yield a good result or at least insure a better outcome in finding the real problem.
very simple test, wait until you hear this sound, pull the main fuse or disconnect the battery, sound goes away, you know it is electrical, you can also easily disconnect the fuel pump , no tools required.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
2009 Kawasaki versys 650 high pitch noise

Easy test - when you hear the noise, open the fuel filler cap. If it immediately stops, there is no issue. The tank was venting as previously mentioned by @Brad906. If the fuel pump is still running (unlikely), the noise will get louder. That would require further testing.
onewizard and Brad906 like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Correct! Not enough detail in the original post to know if it stopped making the noise was a one off fluke. I've diagnosed and "fixed" many customer bikes that couldn't possibly be what I suggested. Even here, I remember several electrical "failures" being complicated way beyond necessary because the battery "is for sure good." Except it wasn't! ��

Based on the info I've read, I could be way off base this time, but I'm betting my thinking hold at least some merit.

Btw, I sold my Versys a few weeks back but I still drop in here often too see if there's any new news in the world of the mighty V and offer input if I can help anyone....Plus, I can't say I won't own another one of these days!
16VGTIDave likes this.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode