Noob - '09 V650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Noob - '09 V650

I've had it about 2 weeks now. Had 2700 miles on it when I got it at 3500 now. It's kawi green and the only farkle that was on it when I got it was an SW-MOTECH Skid Plate. I've since added some trackside handguards
(which thankfully killed the "4k" buzz in my mirrors) and I've got some spool-sliders on the way that I hope will make chain maintenance easier. I did a clean/lube at ~2800 and an adjustment was also required and then again today at 3500.

I noticed 2 backfires, iirc they both were when rolling off throttle after a stretch of holding about 4.5k. Is this normal or could my FI system be beginning to trend to too rich?? Also my first 2 tanks of gas were 45.1 mpg but the last two were ~44 then 42.7... Hopefully just from letting the chain main't get away from me, I'd like to see it bounce back up after the chain service today. Is this typical?

Also, anyone know what the progression of things on the display is before running out of gas? I had it "yelling" at me once but haven't pushed it further than that yet.

n00b who recently passed MSF BRC1
'09 V650 in Kawi green.

Last edited by Bill_in_VA; 04-29-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage

'09 V650 in Kawi green.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

aboard and enjoy your ride - Be safe.

Backfiring is sort of normal but not excessive. You MPH looks normal and keep the tank filled
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
aboard and enjoy your ride - Be safe.

Backfiring is sort of normal but not excessive. You MPH looks normal and keep the tank filled
Thanks!

'09 V650 in Kawi green.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_VA View Post
I've had it about 2 weeks now. Had 2700 miles on it when I got it at 3500 now. It's kawi green and the only farkle that was on it when I got it was an SW-MOTECH Skid Plate. I've since added some trackside handguards
(which thankfully killed the "4k" buzz in my mirrors) and I've got some spool-sliders on the way that I hope will make chain maintenance easier. I did a clean/lube at ~2800 and an adjustment was also required and then again today at 3500.

I noticed 2 backfires, iirc they both were when rolling off throttle after a stretch of holding about 4.5k. Is this normal or could my FI system be beginning to trend to too rich?? Also my first 2 tanks of gas were 45.1 mpg but the last two were ~44 then 42.7... Hopefully just from letting the chain main't get away from me, I'd like to see it bounce back up after the chain service today. Is this typical?

Also, anyone know what the progression of things on the display is before running out of gas? I had it "yelling" at me once but haven't pushed it further than that yet.
On the 2015 when it starts flashing I have about 100 KM left, on my 07, I think it was closer to 80 KM left, word of caution, the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel, running out of fuel usually = a new fuel pump required. And yes there have been guys on this forum with a failed fuel pump. There is a aftermarket one available, info in How To Forum.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_VA View Post
...Hopefully just from letting the chain main't get away from me, I'd like to see it bounce back up after the chain service today. Is this typical?...
Possibly - I notice a BIG difference in how easy the rear wheel spins AFTER I oil my chain. - so that directly relates to WASTED horsepower when it's dirty (the chain...)!
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
On the 2015 when it starts flashing I have about 100 KM left, on my 07, I think it was closer to 80 KM left, word of caution, the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel, running out of fuel usually = a new fuel pump required. And yes there have been guys on this forum with a failed fuel pump. There is a aftermarket one available, info in How To Forum.
Thanks, good to know...

'09 V650 in Kawi green.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:34 AM

Ride and enjoy,I get 370km out of a full tank and I wont do more than 50km when flashing.
Ive got an 09 and love it.
Welcome from New Zealand.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 AM

welcome aboard. ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode