Canadian noob - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By YYCRider
  • 1 Post By DaveC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Canadian noob

Hey guys, in the process of purchasing a v650. Thought I I would join up to to see how others enjoy the bike. Havenít test rode the bike yet as all the gravel is still on the roads from winter, so the stealership hasnít allowed them yet. So playing the waiting game. My riding hipster is with v twin cruisers, until my first sportier bike. My current cbr650f, which doesnít suite me after about an hour of riding due to the position. And the wife hated the experience because of it. So my biggest worry is, will the v650 be capable to do the two up comfortably. Will mostly be riding solo, where in sure it will be a blast. But for the times I do go two up I would like it to bramble to handle weekend excursions with ease. Any comments would go along way. Thanks in advance, and nice to be here. From what Iíve read so far sound like a good group of riders with lots of passion for the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome From South Central Ontario

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read
I had a 07 now a 2015, the bike will do 130 KM/HR all day with 350 to 400 LB load . The 2015 / 2016 is unique in that one of the members here developed a new ECU flash, I have it, last Saturday put another 340 KM on the bike in 80 to 90 KM/HR cross winds. I am thinking of making a modification to my Admore light bar, for days like that and leaving my 56 liter top case at home.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM

You might also want to look at the V-1000 if you are planning to do a lot of 2 up riding.

It's a bit roomier and certainly more powerful than the 650.

You certainly live in a beautiful area for riding, once the gravel clears out.

Cheers.
YYCRider likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCRider View Post
...So my biggest worry is, will the v650 be capable to do the two up comfortably?...
I have a 130# passenger (PLUS ATTGAT 'gear'), I weigh 180# PLUS ATTGAT 'gear, and she's ridden probably a few thousand miles w/ me... AND LOVES IT!
YYCRider likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for info onewizard. Howís the passing with that weight? Also do u know if that ecm flash would work on a 2018?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Hawkerjet the area is nice for sure. Iím assuming youíve spent time here any with the bike?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM

At this time there is only a flash for '15 and '16. The 650 is a few inches shorter than the 1000V and even the WeeStrom. That being said, we can ride the bike quite comfortably. Now if either or both of you are + or ++ size, the seat length could be an issue.

And yes, the YYC area is quite delightful on a bike. I was up there on your country's 150th birthday. I camped for five nights at Yoho NP. I spent about 5-6 weeks in the whole southern BC area wearing out tires. Had a blast in one of the world's prettiest places.

And even met for the first time and "camped" at Mr and Mrs fasteddie's place in Kelowna. Nice folks and she knows how to cook. And paint.

Hiya to fasteddie and Mrs fasteddie.
YYCRider likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

YYCRider likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
At this time there is only a flash for '15 and '16. The 650 is a few inches shorter than the 1000V and even the WeeStrom. That being said, we can ride the bike quite comfortably. Now if either or both of you are + or ++ size, the seat length could be an issue.

And yes, the YYC area is quite delightful on a bike. I was up there on your country's 150th birthday. I camped for five nights at Yoho NP. I spent about 5-6 weeks in the whole southern BC area wearing out tires. Had a blast in one of the world's prettiest places.

And even met for the first time and "camped" at Mr and Mrs fasteddie's place in Kelowna. Nice folks and she knows how to cook. And paint.

No my wife is about 130 and Iím at 220 we sat on the bike in the showroom together and she seemed more then pleased with the space. Although no top box on, that may close it up some. But to any avail itís still better then the cbr in spades. I think Iím just over thinking it as I really donít want to spend the extra for the 1000. As itís $5500 more then the 650. But time will tell test ride booked for sat. As for bc riding it is amazing and one of the bigger decision makers in making the move to the Versys. Especially the Okanagan !!

onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 AM

Garage
You will need to firm up the rear suspension for two up from its regular solo position for optimum results.

I have never felt a shortage of power riding solo with other riders. Power to weight it accelerates like a rocket to ~120kph and will easily cruise at 140 if so desired.

That said with an additional 130-150lb (with gear) expect to feel the weight in both acceleration and braking.

If you purchase a 650 would suggest the following as I do all new members on this site.

* check out crash bars, they really work as advertised and will save you their cost plus more in prevented damage and frustration the first time the bike decides to tip over. Although they add weight they add it low down where you cannot actually feel it. Taller bikes fall over easier. They will also prevent hugely expensive damage in a low side and can protect your feet from being crushed under the bike. They should be standard equipment on all adventure bikes.

* you will need to install 8mm spools (very cheap on eBay) on the swing arm and purchase a decent lift stand as there is no center stand. I find this better than having a center stand, if you are at home and have access to it, and is cheaper and less weight. Opinions on the spool stand vs center stand vary depending on who you ask.

* you can download the service manual for free from this site.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-19-2019 at 02:10 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCRider View Post
Hawkerjet the area is nice for sure. Iím assuming youíve spent time here any with the bike?

YYC since you are using a 3 letter airport identifier in your handle I have to assume you are a pilot?

Unfortunately I have not done any bike riding in Canada. Several past flying jobs had me flying into Canada quite a bit. Mostly the Vancouver area and also a few trips to Toronto and Calgary.

Way back in the 70's I spent some time in Nelson and Kaslo on a hang gliding trip. Both beautiful spots for sure.

Canada is a magical place.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...And even met for the first time and "camped" at Mr and Mrs fasteddie's place in Kelowna. Nice folks and she knows how to cook. And paint.

And "Hiya" right back from Kelowna.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
YYC since you are using a 3 letter airport identifier in your handle I have to assume you are a pilot?

Unfortunately I have not done any bike riding in Canada. Several past flying jobs had me flying into Canada quite a bit. Mostly the Vancouver area and also a few trips to Toronto and Calgary.

Way back in the 70's I spent some time in Nelson and Kaslo on a hang gliding trip. Both beautiful spots for sure.

Canada is a magical place.

Hawker, I wish I could say I was a pilot. Iím sure my prescription eyeglasses would get in the way of becoming one successfully for the purposes other then a hobby. Iím a plumber/gasfitter by trade. Mostly work with commercial hydronicís and hvac systems in a service aspect. Did I make that sound glamorous haha??

Nelson and Kaslo area is a great area, Especially for riding. Thereís a couple motorcycle campgrounds around that area that have great reviews. Along with hot springs all over that area that make for an enjoyable trip if planned just right.

I see your in California, one area I have always wanted to visit is the redwood forest and sequoia nat park. Thereís defiantly something magical about those huge sequoiaís.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:06 PM

Welcome!
YYCRider likes this.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Well I pulled the trigger on a new 2018 v650. Dealer was trying to hose me on trade-in for the cbr so I kept it too. Might be a blessing in disguise as the wife is thinking she wants to get in the sport and ride the cbr. Will have to get her trained up in the dirt this yr to get the feel of it (cheaper and easier to fix when it goes down) lol. Itís all good she has seen the boys ride so she knows what to expect. The. into a street course in the spring. As for the V itís been a while since Iíve been excited to personalize a bike. And this one has me scouring for ideas, looking forward to the many miles weíre going to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode