Poor start with versys 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Poor start with versys 650

Hi all,
I'm new to 2 wheels and recently after much thought decided to purchase a versys 650. It a 2016 abs version. First 3 to 4 rides out were fine,then it developed an intermittent starting issue.
There are times when the fuel pump does not appear to operate and the various electrical noise the bike goes through on turning the key is different.
When this occurs the bike will turn over but not start.
As the bike is turning over the yellow engine symbol light is flashing.
Turning back off then on will more than likely return all the various electrical noises to normal.
The bike will start and run fine.

Out of say ten ignition on off operations about 9 are correct and the bike will start,the tenth the noises are different and the bike will not start.
A local main dealer had the bike recently and could find no faults logged.He suggested a new fuel pump relay unit. This was purchased and fitted but has not cleared the intermittent non staring fault, yellow engine symbol light flashing and non starting.
The hand book states when this light flashes whilst trying to start the engine it is relayed to the bike fall over sensor.

Does anyone have any experience of the same issue ?

I did drop the bike slowly over the other day whilst it was running. The engine stopped as it should. Keyed the ignition off then back on with no starting issues.

Best bank holiday in months for the weather and I'm stuck with a dodgy bike !!!!

Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:17 PM

I would investigate that tip over sensor. There are other folks here with the expertise to guide you in checking it out.

I've heard of some issues with the T/O switch after a tip over.

I've been lucky enough to stay upright for the 43k miles that I've owned my '15, which I bought used.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome from Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read
You need more posts to get full membership. For some reason the 2015 / 2016 seems to have vehicle down / tip over switch problems, many somehow linked to rain and or falling over.

I copied a thread from How To to Members Only, respect that this is information highly technical provided by members and as such proprietary. It was found by one member that my method didn't work, that is because my sensor has a specific current and I calculated the resistance required. DD solution provides a voltage signal equal to a good sensor and will perform better since three resistors are used something like a voltage divider. This has also happened on other older versys 650, very hard to trouble shoot, although we now have a work around .

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...rk-around.html

Last edited by onewizard; 04-17-2019 at 06:22 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Best bank holiday in months for the weather and I'm stuck with a dodgy bike !!!!
I would add "Bloody" dodgy bike!

Joking aside welcome aboard and good luck finding and fixing the problem.

Cheers mate.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies so far.
Have another the vds sensor on order but it will be the wrong side of the bank holiday now.
I'm finding that all though they call themselves main authorised dealers the set ups in my area actually keep very few spares on a shelf. Probably just service consumables.
They can get you any part but it will be 2 / 3 days by post.

Will post progress for future learning and info.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Oh and thanks to onewizard for the explanation of why I could not post in the tech section.
Like most blokes I did not read the instruction book.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

I have dropped all THREE of my V650s, HARD! And they ALL started fine afterwards.
1. '08 - low-sided on Mt Graham, AZ, back around '09 or '10;
2. '09 - low-side crash in '15 on the Dempster Hwy an hour S of Inuvik, NWT; and
3. '15 - last July when I 'tried' to start riding w/out removing my front brake 'caliper-lock', leaving a campground in BC.

Here's the '09:

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-19-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Hi fasteddiecopeman,

When I originally dropped the bike a week or 2 ago,it did indeed shutdown and subsequently restart as per the book.
It is since then the fault has either developed or shown itself.

To be honest I've only owned it just 3 months and ridden it due to poor weather only around 6 times. I'm therefore not sure if I bought the bike with the fault or has it developed as a result of the very minor falling off and over.

Thanks

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-19-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Update to non starting issue.
Ok a couple of weeks have passed and sadly I still haven't managed to track down the issue.
So far ive fitted a new fuel pump relay, fuel tank off and it sits just under and to the side of the battery.

Plus a new vehicle over sensor.

Did 40 ignition off and on cycles and the bike made all the right noises.

Out on the road 9 times out of ten it starts ok,but still every now and then it just turns over with the yellow engine warning light flashing,
Turning fully off then back on and bike starts normally, turns a few times with no yellow engine warning light flashing and starts.

I would appreciate any knowledge and or guidance in putting this one to bed.

The manual clearly states that the yellow engine warning light flashing is vehicle over issue.But it's had new sensor on and I'm not aware it can be wired out as part of fault finding

Any thoughts and pointers greatly received
Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Tip Over Vehicle down Sensor

I provided a link that proves the sensor as faulty, you could wire it that way, however with your intermittent number of faults, that sensor provides protection and not advisable to ride the bike like that. I have said this many times, just in case I didn't for you. My recommendation is to go over all the frame grounds, clean them and provide dielectric grease.I use what is called scotch brite pads, the red ones, similar to pot scrubbers https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...g!544426950208!
Of great importance is the ECU frame grounds, located below the seat bracket on the brake reservoir side of the bike, there is no wired connection between negative and these, I also assume you are out of warranty since you have purchased several items. I think there are like 5 frame grounds and one engine ground, heat and cooling causes expansion etc. of the steel frame, a poor connection with a low battery voltage may give a faulty signal the first time around after sitting, and that is hot or cold. Remember the 5 volts for the vehicle down sensor comes from the ECU, I wouldn't hesitate to unplug both connections and then plug them back in on the ECU, inspect the pins to make sure they aren't bent or corroded. There is a explanation on removing the ECU under https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...u+removal+tool go to page 4 and post 133, then scroll down for my photos and info about the rubber boot.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Hi onewizard.
Thanks for the reply and info.
If have already cleaned the battery ground and the one under the seat,but if you say there are five then I need to to find and clean the remaining three.
I will disconnect the battery and pull apart the ecu plugs and reconnect to see if that makes a difference.

Fingers crossed.
Thanks
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Hi onewizard.
Thanks for the reply and info.
If have already cleaned the battery ground and the one under the seat,but if you say there are five then I need to to find and clean the remaining three.
I will disconnect the battery and pull apart the ecu plugs and reconnect to see if that makes a difference.

Fingers crossed.
Thanks
Use a small amount of dielectric grease on the seal surface of the ECU plugs, it makes going together easier and also acts as a waterproof barrier.
The seat bracket that supports the gas tank & seat needs to be removed, hidden underneath on my 2015 is 2 ECU grounds , to the right of that is the frame ground, two additional frame grounds up front , one on left side front for lighter plug, one right side lower for headlight / signal light. On the 2016 there may be more. The important ones are the ECU, very hard to find or access, how many people remove their seat bracket? I used a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to support the gas tank.

If you read through the service manual, several times they say to replace your ECU yup only $ 10 when I sent my ECU out to get the flash I insured it for $1000 , very close to the cost in Canada , actually from my dealer around $800, however with Trump and tariffs it may be more now.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-11-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode