New Versys owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Versys owner

Just got my 2014 Versys 650 ABS with less than 3000 miles. Now if only the weather here in Seattle would cooperate... Planning a long, 11-state ride next month. Looking for a good source for a service manual.

Thanks

SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:52 PM

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also am considering removing the charcoal canister and will do a search for that info.

Thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard and enjoy your ride . Be Safe.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:21 PM

Hi-

Where in the Seattle area are you? I'm located in Brier (south Snohomish County). Picked up a 15 Versys 650LT last fall.

-dm

-dm
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Welcome aboard!

Why do you want to remove the charcoal canister? It has no impact on performance or fuel economy. The only time the canister is in any loop is at first start when it is vented to the intake. After that the solenoid closes and all it does is absorb fuel and vapors if the tank overflows.

I removed it from my 2015 as part of figuring out a mixture problem (turned out to be a sneaky cracked vacuum hose). The electrical connector still needs to be plugged into the solenoid valve or else a check engine light illuminates. I capped off the vacuum line and then ran the plumbing to match the non-CA configuration.

The mounting plate for the canister turns out to be a perfect hiding spot for a spare key and to mount the dashcam module. So I've left the canister off.

Your 2014 may or may not be the same configuration as my 2015.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
Hi-

Where in the Seattle area are you? I'm located in Brier (south Snohomish County). Picked up a 15 Versys 650LT last fall.

-dm
Iím in Enumclaw...

As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Welcome aboard!

Why do you want to remove the charcoal canister? It has no impact on performance or fuel economy. The only time the canister is in any loop is at first start when it is vented to the intake. After that the solenoid closes and all it does is absorb fuel and vapors if the tank overflows.

I removed it from my 2015 as part of figuring out a mixture problem (turned out to be a sneaky cracked vacuum hose). The electrical connector still needs to be plugged into the solenoid valve or else a check engine light illuminates. I capped off the vacuum line and then ran the plumbing to match the non-CA configuration.

The mounting plate for the canister turns out to be a perfect hiding spot for a spare key and to mount the dashcam module. So I've left the canister off.

Your 2014 may or may not be the same configuration as my 2015.
I primarily want to remove the canister because it interferes with the installation of the crash bars that I have purchased. Not too concerned with performance either way really, but I do know that the canister can cause some issues if it becomes saturated.

As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Welcome and enjoy your 14' Versys.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode