New Member / 650 Versys 2011 /Came home to bike laying in puddle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By frf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
frf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member / 650 Versys 2011 /Came home to bike laying in puddle

Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been riding a 2011 versys 650 for about two years now. I haven't had any real problems and thus haven't done much wrenching.

I just came home from a weekend out of town to find my bike laying on it's side (exhaust up) after apparently a weekend of crazy wind and rain. No way to know how long it had been down. It was covered, but the cover was holding some water by the time i found it. It definitely leaked gas. It was laying in mud and maybe 1-2" of water in a puddle. It has crash bars and pannier racks, but not sure how much those kept it elevated.

So, do i need to treat it like a full submersion and strip/drain exhaust and airbox and dry start with spark plugs out? Or am i just freaking out because i love my baby and she's probably ok to crank after sitting for a day or so?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You may need to open the Air cleaner to be certain that no water entered the system. If your air cleaner is dry than you are save..From your write up i am not sure how deep your bike was submersed in water. Any pictures?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
frf

Didn't take any pics.

The water was only a few inches deep. If i had seen it fall and righted it immediately i probably wouldn't have been concerned. Just didnt know if the fact that it may have been on it's side in that spot for a couple of days could have made the situation worse.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Try and look at the air intake and see if any water is present there.( It below the Fuel Tank). if you don't find any water trace, cross finger and give it a crank..Hope nothing serious.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 PM

2" of water isn't much. Can't think of any damage 2" of water could do. Now that the bike is upright again, let it set for about 30 minutes. while it's setting inspect it visually. after about 30 minutes hold the bike upright and check the oil level. If the oil level is OK go ahead and crank the bike. If everything sounds good after running for a few minutes. get a water hose and some soap and water and wash all the mud a crap off. Now that your bike is clean, enjoy riding it.
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read
You will notice the Thread Title was modified, this is your introductory thread, and for a change has 500% more information than the last 6 new members.
As to the air box, it would need to be in 12 inches or more, with the crash bars I would think 16 inches. Honestly can't see a problem. Good advice of checking the air filter, a lot better than saying oops.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-08-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
frf

Thanks for the quick responses. It was just a large puddle. I guess my concern was if spending what could have been days in the puddle was likely to compromise any seals from the duration of submersion as opposed to just a quick fall. Also, if laying on its side through a storm with the exhaust side up would allow too much water in that way. I will freely admit that I'm an engine noob.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frf View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. It was just a large puddle. I guess my concern was if spending what could have been days in the puddle was likely to compromise any seals from the duration of submersion as opposed to just a quick fall. Also, if laying on its side through a storm with the exhaust side up would allow too much water in that way. I will freely admit that I'm an engine noob.
Kick stand side is common, my 07 went down in the show room floor, a KLR saved it. My only concern would be if you had a flash flood and what you see now is the remains of that, I am sure that neighbors can tell you there was no flash flood, any water in the exhaust will go back out, no way of water getting into the engine through the exhaust, unless there was a lot of water. The suggestion of setting it upright , viewing how much comes out, if you get more than a 2 liter, then you may need to look further / pull the plugs. As you may not know, water does not compress. For that to happen the front of the bike would need to be almost a foot lower with the muffler a foot higher elevation, with number 1 cylinder exhaust in the open position, that is a lot to co-ordinate to go wrong. A situation like that would call for removing the plugs and turning over by hand.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-09-2019 at 03:27 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
frf

I suppose I'm still learning how much abuse the versys can take.

This is my first bike (after a few months of learning on a MZ-125sx that a buddy gave me when he moved). It's always been parked outside due to my current lack of a garage. I live in South Louisiana and have never winterized it since there's plenty of temperature swings here that allow riding in winter. It has sat through a few hard freezes and never even suffered a dead battery.

Only issue I've had so far was the shifter sticking in the down position and not returning, and that was cured with a cleaning and lubing. That only happened after trying my hand at some light off roading and having a laughable slow motion drop when I buried the front tire in some unexpected sand.

It has been extremely forgiving so far and i was having terrible thoughts of a bit of water destroying the whole engine.
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
frf

Update:

Bike cranked fine. Thanks for easing my mind.

Things i overlooked while angry and being rained on. Windscreen is broken and handlebars are bent.

The screen was on the bike when i bought it, and never did the best job anyway. I am considering a Givi D410st as a replacement. Anybody familiar with that one or have alternative suggestions? I'm 5' 10" tall.

The bars were slightly bent when i bought the bike as well. Never bothered me. Unfortunately this drop was on the same spot and made it worse. I like the height/sweep/width of the stock bars but then again that's all I've ever known. Looks like stock bars are expensive and hard to get. Any suggestions for replacements?

Thanks again!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Glad your bike is up and running fine.

On the handle bar , here is a little feedback.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Motorcycle-Ha...457.:goodluck:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode