Memphis area rider with a '15 650LT and an '07 Honda Hornet - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Memphis area rider with a '15 650LT and an '07 Honda Hornet

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, but have had my Versys for a while now. It's not as fast as my 919 Hornet, but it's a better bike in every other way.

If anyone in the Memphis area wants to hop on their bike and go cruise the area with me, shoot me a message.

Happy riding, guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and before these 2 bikes, I had an '01 Honda Magna 750 and a 2012 V-Strom 1000. I sold the Honda before I left Arkansas, and the V-Strom was stolen from in front of my apartment complex (blah).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

aboard and enjoy your ride _ Be safe.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome from Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read
Glad I was able to help. FYI, for those new members reading this, PM is possible even before you make 2 posts. Some times the joining and posting part can be confusing, in this case I provided a link and brief explanation.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:12 PM

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Garage
Welcome. How fast is the Hornet?

I did get my '11 Versys up to 115 mph in Wyoming.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Welcome. How fast is the Hornet?

I did get my '11 Versys up to 115 mph in Wyoming.
The Hornet's faster than I'll take it. It gets up to 115-120 really quick. That's where I shut it down. The wind really beats you up at that speed!

I think they say they'll get up to 140 or 145, though.

Last edited by nickrains; 04-08-2019 at 07:15 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrains View Post
The Hornet's faster than I'll take it. It gets up to 115-120 really quick. That's where I shut it down. The wind really beats you up at that speed!

I think they say they'll get up to 140 or 145, though.

That't where the Concours 1400 really shines. 120 feels like 70 thanks to the wind protection.

It hits the rev limiter around 90 mph in 2nd gear. I haven't hit the rev limiter in any gear beyond that. I finally had to sell it because my self control was not good.
kiwicraig likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...It hits the rev limiter around 90 mph in 2nd gear. I haven't hit the rev limiter in any gear beyond that. I finally had to sell it because my self control was not good.
I had a Bandit 1200S before my first Versys650, and several times a year I would "pin it", seeing about 240 kph indicated on the 'clock'. Those kind of speeds can get you a felony speeding conviction, so I was rather happy to see it go....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, but have had my Versys for a while now. It's not as fast as my 919 Hornet, but it's a better bike in every other way.

If anyone in the Memphis area wants to hop on their bike and go cruise the area with me, shoot me a message.

Happy riding, guys!
Welcome aboard. Iff'n you want, we are having a little get together at a rider's place out in the country outside of Greenbrier, AR. Awesome deal, $40 if you are a COG member, $50 if not. This fee includes three dinners and three make your own omelette breakkies and includes free tent camping. Shower available. He uses his front end loader to build the Saturday night bonfire, it's usually about the size of two long school buses, truly awesome.

This is my fourth year attending. Can't beat the camaraderie and the price for what you get. Sport Touring type of folks. Cliff, the chief cat herder, has over 200k miles on his Concours, so yeah, folks that attend do ride.

Link to rally page:

Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #6 [AR] - Concours Owners Group

Link on the COG forum for pre rally BS:

Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #6, May 2-5 2019

Have fun.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Welcome aboard. Iff'n you want, we are having a little get together at a rider's place out in the country outside of Greenbrier, AR. Awesome deal, $40 if you are a COG member, $50 if not. This fee includes three dinners and three make your own omelette breakkies and includes free tent camping. Shower available. He uses his front end loader to build the Saturday night bonfire, it's usually about the size of two long school buses, truly awesome.

This is my fourth year attending. Can't beat the camaraderie and the price for what you get. Sport Touring type of folks. Cliff, the chief cat herder, has over 200k miles on his Concours, so yeah, folks that attend do ride.

Link to rally page:

Have fun.
I appreciate the invite, SteveJ! That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

I actually lived in central Arkansas for a little over 5 years and made several trips up through Greenbrier. It's a beautiful area. I really miss Arkansas.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the invite, SteveJ! That actually sounds like a lot of fun.
It is.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

Link to rally page:

Have fun.

I was on "the other" forum. Don't know what transpired to create the other forum, but the COG forum kept bugging me about becoming a member. I only kept the Concours for 30,000 miles before craving cruise control to keep my speeding in check.
SteveJ likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I was on "the other" forum. Don't know what transpired to create the other forum, but the COG forum kept bugging me about becoming a member. I only kept the Concours for 30,000 miles before craving cruise control to keep my speeding in check.
Yeah, for a while there they got a little too persistent in their nagging. Long story and a lot of drama on the forum split. I've met Rick H, up in Prince George, BC, of all places. Had coffee with him at a Timmy's. Good folks.

I had cruise on my C-10 Connie and after having it I was darn sure not to be without it again. My 650 V got a Rostra on the first round of upgrades.

I never did understand the smallish fuel tank and the lack of factory cruise on the C-14 "trans-continental sport tourer" or whatever they call it. Fun bike to ride, though. I've had a couple of opportunities to ride Steveinsunnyflorida's Shoodaben C-14. With his flash and fancy after market suspension upgrades. In the Carolina mountains. Awesome.
twowheeladdict likes this.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

Last edited by SteveJ; 04-16-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode