Thanks for the responses, guys.
1) An engine guard does sound like a good idea. Lots of crunchy plastics up front there.
2) My horn is pretty loud. We don't use our horns here in the SF Bay area anyhow, not like in Philly where a horn and upraised middle finger are part of the regular driving vocabulary (based on my one single trip to Philly but I doubt it was unrepresentative, heh).
3) The seat is hard but my butt isn't. I'm an old fat guy and the seat worked fine for me, other than the hard edges at the traffic lights. I have a sheepskin left over from my V-Strom and I'm going to see if that suffices for that problem.
4) Our cagers here in the SF Bay area area are slightly more bike-aware than in most places. Still have to ride *very* defensively though -- stay out of people's blind spots, make sure you have escape routes, etc. -- but they'll even move to the side slightly to let you lane split past them when filtering at traffic lights. I've commuted by bike here before, I stopped commuting by motorcycle because I moved to 3 miles from work and I could ride a bicycle, but then work moved and then I got gentrified out, so there we are.
5) Thinking about a cheap Emgo top box. It's big enough for a pair of shoes or a couple of bags of groceries so. Any other inexpensive top boxes I should be considering?
2018 Versys-X 300 ABS. Former bikes: 1983 Honda FT500 Ascot, 1985 Honda XL-350, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650, 2003 Kawasaki Concours, 2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650.