Tight wire after installing SW-MOTECH crash bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By leftbrain99
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By leftbrain99
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Tight wire after installing SW-MOTECH crash bars

I recently picked up a really clean 09 650. I decided to add the SW-MOTECH crash bars because they are sweet looking and will help keep my bike clean in the event of a tip over. During the install I noticed there is a wire (or more of a 'tubing' as it has 2 wires coming out of it) running underneath where the right side guard attaches to the bolt going through the engine mount (near the rear break pedal). There doesn't seem to be any room to run this wire over the bolt but running it underneath puts a little kink in it. My question is, is this hurting anything? I don't want to put extra stress on wiring or any sort of tubing and certainly wouldn't want anything to burn out. Any ideas?
(apologies for the pictures, it's hard to get a good shot)
Thanks alot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190404_180653.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	163077   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190404_183627.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	163079  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rok View Post
I recently picked up a really clean 09 650. I decided to add the SW-MOTECH crash bars because they are sweet looking and will help keep my bike clean in the event of a tip over. During the install I noticed there is a wire (or more of a 'tubing' as it has 2 wires coming out of it) running underneath where the right side guard attaches to the bolt going through the engine mount (near the rear break pedal). There doesn't seem to be any room to run this wire over the bolt but running it underneath puts a little kink in it. My question is, is this hurting anything? I don't want to put extra stress on wiring or any sort of tubing and certainly wouldn't want anything to burn out. Any ideas?
Thanks alot!
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read
First that is your crankshaft position sensor , very critical. From the looks , to me it looks OK. And it is one of very few that has no extra slack or connectors between it and the ECU. You need a second post within this thread to gain access to more info.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Hi onewizard,

Oh yes, that is very critical! Thank you for taking a look I really appreciate it! I was having a hard time finding anybody else who mentioned this issue. I was getting a little paranoid about it as I haven't ridden the bike much and couldn't tell if this was harming it in anyway. I may get a piece of tubing to try and ease the kink a little if possible.

Thanks again!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

A Better Photo Possible?

Quote:
Hi onewizard,

Oh yes, that is very critical! Thank you for taking a look I really appreciate it! I was having a hard time finding anybody else who mentioned this issue. I was getting a little paranoid about it as I haven't ridden the bike much and couldn't tell if this was harming it in anyway. I may get a piece of tubing to try and ease the kink a little if possible.

Thanks again!
Here is a suggestion, my experience as a Industrial electrician dealing with severe operating conditions, gravel pits & asphalt plants, high vibration. Tow suggestions, one take some clear silicone and pump it around the kink part, let it cure. Option #2 , use a black wire tie tywrap around the kink part. The idea is vibration will eventually wear through that tubing. The silicone once cured eliminates the vibration, but allows some flexibility. The wire tie looks neater, stops vibration, but no give as to wire movement. FYI the silicone has many advantages including heat protection.

I had years of experience dealing with two 25 HP screening motors that had 600 volt #10/4 SOW cabtire going to them, used silicone supports and silicone across the duct, nothing else worked. When I say severe , the motor junction boxes had to be packed solid with duct seal ,otherwise the wire connectors failed and went to ground, one motor the cast iron base broke, and the remaining motor went airborne. Damn thing weighed over 250 LBs,the screening plant was up at the top of the plant , 60 feet vertical . Needed a crane to lift it in place, whole asphalt plant was down during peak season for 6 hours.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...I don't want to put extra stress on wiring or any sort of tubing and certainly wouldn't want anything to burn out. Any ideas?
Thanks alot!
I went out to the shop to look at mine (an '08), then realized I got back from AZ two days ago - I noticed my '15 sitting there. Sorry I can't help.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
...I don't want to put extra stress on wiring or any sort of tubing and certainly wouldn't want anything to burn out. Any ideas?
Thanks alot!
I went out to the shop to look at mine (an '08), then remembered I got back from AZ two days ago - I noticed my '15 sitting there. Sorry I can't help.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Same on my '11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190405_152358_1554503787304.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	163083  
onewizard likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Time Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I went out to the shop to look at mine (an '08), then realized I got back from AZ two days ago - I noticed my '15 sitting there. Sorry I can't help.
Quote:
aboard!

I went out to the shop to look at mine (an '08), then remembered I got back from AZ two days ago - I noticed my '15 sitting there. Sorry I can't help.
Man, must be that that Data Base Error again
Fastoman and leftbrain99 like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Man, must be that that Data Base Error again
I'm picturing him not only looking for his '08 and finding his '15, but doing it twice, and posting about it each time.
onewizard and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
aboard!
...I went out to the shop to look at mine (an '08), then remembered I got back from AZ two days ago - I noticed my '15 sitting there. Sorry I can't help.
But IF memory serves - my '08 looks pretty much like your pic does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
I'm picturing him not only looking for his '08 and finding his '15, but doing it twice, and posting about it each time.
Ever heard the term: "sick Puppy"?

Fastoman and leftbrain99 like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everybody for taking a look! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this and glad to hear it doesn't seem to be an issue. I will probably try to ease it a little bit using some of onewizard's suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode