New Versys 650 LT owner in Alaska - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dbmccrohan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys 650 LT owner in Alaska

Riding season came early to Alaska this year, and I'm buying a new 2018 Versys 650 LT this week - picking it up after the shop installs heated grips and a DC power plug. Any recommendations for other "must-have" accessories? Any good tips for getting the most out of this bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Check for posts from "AlaskaJeff" and "beezerboy", then PM them - they are BOTH Alaskans.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
aboard and enjoy your ride - be safe.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Although they are really pricey, I like my SWMotech off-road foot pegs. If you have the LT, you should already have the factory hand guards in place. IMO those do about as much as the heated grips (I have Oxfords) to keep the hands warm. I've also just installed Givi engine guards. Hopefully will never really need them. The contact points when you drop it are the hand guards and the bottom corners of the factory luggage - don't ask how I know. Oh, and the turn signals - they are actually the first contact point. So remove the bolts holding them in. The rubber grommet at the base will do the job well enough by itself. Drop the bike and they will pop out, just carefully work the grommet back into place. For bonus points I've fiberglassed the inside of the body panels that they are mounted in.

Enjoy!

-dm
jaaklucas likes this.

-dm
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
Although they are really pricey, I like my SWMotech off-road foot pegs. If you have the LT, you should already have the factory hand guards in place. IMO those do about as much as the heated grips (I have Oxfords) to keep the hands warm. I've also just installed Givi engine guards. Hopefully will never really need them. The contact points when you drop it are the hand guards and the bottom corners of the factory luggage - don't ask how I know. Oh, and the turn signals - they are actually the first contact point. So remove the bolts holding them in. The rubber grommet at the base will do the job well enough by itself. Drop the bike and they will pop out, just carefully work the grommet back into place. For bonus points I've fiberglassed the inside of the body panels that they are mounted in.

Enjoy!

-dm
Yep, hand guards are already on the bike, as well as a beefy SW Motech engine guard. Looks like I need to get luggage guards, and maybe the SW footpegs; and that sounds like a good tip about the turn signal bolts. Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:22 AM

Garage
Welcome! Enjoy the early riding season.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Check for posts from "AlaskaJeff" and "beezerboy", then PM them - they are BOTH Alaskans.

Thanks for these names Ed!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!

Tires. Get different tires! I'm installing today the second set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my 2015 V650. They are much better at everything than the factory tires. There is a whole range of tire options out there, from knobbies to highway to dual sport. Factory tires suck pretty bad at everything imho.

I replaced the front turn signals with micro size LED signals. They don't hit the ground. R&G Racing sells some nice ones and the mounting adapter you'll need.

The seat bothers some due to the forward lean. You can shim the nose of the seat up with something homemade or buy a cheap plastic gizmo someone here is making on a 3D printer, or you can get an aftermarket seat.

There are a lot of adjustments you can make to the ergonomics with handlebar risers to move the bars up and/or back, lower the foot pegs, lower the suspension overall, etc. A lot of people go to a larger windshield.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Welcome aboard!

Tires. Get different tires! I'm installing today the second set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my 2015 V650. They are much better at everything than the factory tires. There is a whole range of tire options out there, from knobbies to highway to dual sport. Factory tires suck pretty bad at everything imho.

I replaced the front turn signals with micro size LED signals. They don't hit the ground. R&G Racing sells some nice ones and the mounting adapter you'll need.

The seat bothers some due to the forward lean. You can shim the nose of the seat up with something homemade or buy a cheap plastic gizmo someone here is making on a 3D printer, or you can get an aftermarket seat.

There are a lot of adjustments you can make to the ergonomics with handlebar risers to move the bars up and/or back, lower the foot pegs, lower the suspension overall, etc. A lot of people go to a larger windshield.
I should have mentioned mine also has the Trex bar risers and Puigi windscreen. Since it had both when I got it, I can't comment on how much better than OEM they are. I also have a mount for a Givi top case, as well as a little voltmeter/temp gauge/USB port that plugs into the aux power outlet. It's very handy. I suspect the temp gauge would be good in Alaska.

Mine has Shinko 705/805 dualsport tires. I have no idea how they compare to OEM.

-dm

-dm
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:27 AM

Garage
ya, fix the seat & the turn signals. get a fender extender. think about tires... especially if gravel is in your future. mostly enjoy a great machine

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
And get a radiator guard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode