Greetings! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Luke Counterman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Greetings!

Just picked up a new to me 2014 Versys 650 on the 19th. Of course I'm already having problems with it luckily there is this forum and the service manual!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

My other motorcycle is a 1999 Triumph Sprint ST. I love that bike and have had it for 6 years. It had been my sole vehicle since I moved to SoCal. Unfortunately and accident has left it in need of repair. Needing transport asap, I picked the Versys up off of craigslist as I had ridden one before and liked it. All was well until a dead battery left me stranded in the middle of nowhere at a gas station today. My first thought was a bad stator, especially since the previous owner had dropped it on the left side and a jump would get it started but as soon as the cables were disconnected it would die. A post in the technical forum coming soon! I was able to get a tow to a tiny-one-man-in-his-own-garage shop, that some how was also in the middle of nowhere, thanks to my AMA membership. After a bunch of tinkering with battery testers and volt meters, Charlie gave me a charged up used battery that sorta fit with some persuasion and some creative wiring, and that got me home. Now to figure out what is going on! The new battery seems to be staying above 13v when the bike is running. Testing the stator output with my volt meter per the service manual gives ok numbers, *shrug* maybe it was just the battery somehow? Like I said, post coming to the technical forum.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Detail In link provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Counterman View Post
My other motorcycle is a 1999 Triumph Sprint ST. I love that bike and have had it for 6 years. It had been my sole vehicle since I moved to SoCal. Unfortunately and accident has left it in need of repair. Needing transport asap, I picked the Versys up off of craigslist as I had ridden one before and liked it. All was well until a dead battery left me stranded in the middle of nowhere at a gas station today. My first thought was a bad stator, especially since the previous owner had dropped it on the left side and a jump would get it started but as soon as the cables were disconnected it would die. A post in the technical forum coming soon! I was able to get a tow to a tiny-one-man-in-his-own-garage shop, that some how was also in the middle of nowhere, thanks to my AMA membership. After a bunch of tinkering with battery testers and volt meters, Charlie gave me a charged up used battery that sorta fit with some persuasion and some creative wiring, and that got me home. Now to figure out what is going on! The new battery seems to be staying above 13v when the bike is running. Testing the stator output with my volt meter per the service manual gives ok numbers, *shrug* maybe it was just the battery somehow? Like I said, post coming to the technical forum.
Funny, several members in the last 2 months have joined for the same reason, as to stator failure and charging problems, something must be leaking out that there is a source of knowledge on this forum

More detail under stator testing in How To Forum but access is limited, relevant posts have been copied here. Feel free to post photos and questions in this thread. I can move later.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...eams-dead.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:17 PM

Garage
from SoCal.... Hopefully it was just the battery...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the greetings! After some further testing and some discussion with my dad who has been a mechanic for 40 years, seems like it was just the battery!
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode