Old guy from Monterey, CA - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By choantet
  • 1 Post By choantet
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Old guy from Monterey, CA

Greetings all. Wanting to get acquainted. I'm looking to getting back to riding after a long layoff due to health problems. Much better now, getting strong again, and completely obsessed with buying a Versys 650... just for the fun of it. I'm thinking of a leftover '18. A guy who was dying ought to have great fun if he gets a reprieve! Don't you agree? Of course you do. Retired now and want to mostly ride around CA and Arizona. Those of you who have been to this part of the country know that there's plenty of great rides right here. Any ride along Big Sur will sure change one's mind in a hurry.

Thank you for the guidelines kindly provided for newcomers, and glad to join your fine community...assuming you can tolerate CA lawyer whose only remaining motorcycle is a very sad 1990 EX500...that old girl needs some loving care to even get me safely around town. In the meanwhile, my search around here for a leftover Versys650 has not been fruitful. Saw a couple in Arizona and Nevada... makes things a bit difficult, but doable if the price is right.

Anyway, thanks for having this forum to learn from and to share the unequaled feeling of riding (again).

Be well, Choan
Brockie and andyj812 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
from SoCal...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nice intro and get a bike , be born again and enjoy life.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for the hospitality and encouragement. Yes, in each moment there is the potential to be in joy. It's everywhere... on your bike, a meal with a friend, simple kindnesses offered and received, and even hidden within our shared inevitable pain.

I can hardly wait - oh, patience is knocking at my door - I'd better let her in. ;-)

Just saw a great deal in Las Vegas at Ride Now on Rancho. It's worth a contact to see if it's for real.
Fastoman likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choantet View Post
...and completely obsessed with buying a Versys 650... just for the fun of it. I'm thinking of a leftover '18....
There's a '17 V650 in the SE corner of AZ, in the FOR SALE part of this Forum.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...s-650-abs.html
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-28-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I see. Will PM him. Thanks for the heads up.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 PM

Garage
You are going to have a tough time considering yourself old in this group. I am 71 and not the oldest one here B-)
Welcome

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ha! You have me by a year. Aging is great - excepting the body stuff...which isn't nothing, but I'm loving the freedom. Thanks for the smile Randy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome! Glad to hear you're on the mend and getting back into riding. You've got the perfect plus to do it Left the Bay Area (Half Moon Bay) to move to the midwest for family reasons - right thing to do, but damn! I miss the roads and the weather!

"only" 55, commuting 80 miles R/T any day there isn't ice or snow on the ground on my '14 Versys 650 - currently 26K miles.

Based on a quick search:
GP Sports in San Jose has a 2014 with 12K miles for $5K (seems a bit high)
https://gpsportsonline.com/Motorcycl...f-a9540005acdf

Other than that, you're right, I'm not finding many - guess Versys owners know they've got a good thing and aren't letting it go

Good luck and ride safe!
Rob in KC
'14 Versys 650, 26K miles
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Rob, thanks for the tip in SJ. You're right, Versys owners aren't letting go and dealers don't seem to have any leftovers that they're looking to unload. Tomorrow I'll hear back from a Las Vegas dealer who claims to have a great deal on a new 2018 V650. If the OTD price is right, I'll be making an unscheduled trip there. If the price is close to the ad, it's worth the expense of the trip, and the trip back feels like an offer to an amazing, and safe, journey through desert and mountains.
(Haven't been to Vegas since about 1970... quit gambling and drinking a long time ago, should be a good laugh anyway!)

Researching new gear now, and thankfully getting some needed practice on a good friend's 2014 V-Strom 650 that he doesn't ride anymore. Nice guy, nice bike.

Love Half Moon Bay. Sometimes I come home from a SF Giant game through there and Santa Cruz... a lot longer trip, but great views and what's the rush? Problem is CA is crazy expensive... and just plain crazy in every which way.

Lot's of admiration that you're doing what's right for your family. Be well, Choan
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hey Rob, thanks for the tip in SJ. You're right, Versys owners aren't letting go and dealers don't seem to have any leftovers that they're looking to unload. Tomorrow I'll hear back from a Las Vegas dealer who claims to have a great deal on a new 2018 V650. If the OTD price is right, I'll be making an unscheduled trip there. If the price is close to the ad, it's worth the expense of the trip, and the trip back feels like an offer to an amazing, and safe, journey through desert and mountains.
(Haven't been to Vegas since about 1970... quit gambling and drinking a long time ago, should be a good laugh anyway!)

Researching new gear now, and thankfully getting some needed practice on a good friend's 2014 V-Strom 650 that he doesn't ride anymore. Nice guy, nice bike.

Love Half Moon Bay. Sometimes I come home from a SF Giant game through there and Santa Cruz... a lot longer trip, but great views and what's the rush? Problem is CA is crazy expensive... and just plain crazy in every which way.

Lot's of admiration that you're doing what's right for your family. Be well, Choan
If you are open to an older model I have a 2013 for sale with about 18,000 miles. She is set up in every which way. Not a trailer queen but she still presents well and mechanically she is tip top. Just PM if you would like to see the add. The bike is in NC but I could have it shipped out here. I am near Morro Bay.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There is a 2018 650 LT advertised at Good Times Kawasaki in Sacramento for $7999, $1000 off SRP.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mc...853285587.html
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Tomorrow I'll hear back from a Las Vegas dealer who claims to have a great deal on a new 2018 V650. If the OTD price is right, I'll be making an unscheduled trip there. If the price is close to the ad, it's worth the expense of the trip, and the trip back feels like an offer to an amazing, and safe, journey through desert and mountains.
For us California guys buying a new bike out of state is a bit of a challenge. First it has to meet California smog standards.If it is a 49 state vehicle it does not meet California smog requirements and you cannot register it in California.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr29

I bought a new 2014 Yamaha FZ09 in Oregon but registered it there using my sister's address as she lives there. I rode it with Oregon plates until I sold it a couple of years later. I registered it in California to sell it and had to pay sales tax since I did not pay any in Oregon. Buying out of state and running out of state plates is a risk should the Poe pull you over, unless you have a drivers license from that state.

You are better off just to find a bike here in Cali and save yourself a big headache.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I heard back from dealer in Las Vegas: it advertised 2018 V650ABS for $5000. Well, OTD was $7100. A good price, but I think a less than honorable way of doing business.

Hawkerjet: you're right; out of state purchase is clearly more troublesome and has its obvious costs, risks. So, today I refocused on CA purchase. (Blessed wife is the best... she says 'no problem, spend some more, but buy locally if you can. If it's has to be a 2019, so be it.' She's watched over this crazy life for 48 years.)

Buffalo_Bob: Yes, so I see; good number and Sacramento sure is way closer than Nevada or Arizona. And now I just saw this 2018 LT for $7500 in San Jose... more better, maybe. I'll hear from them tomorrow.

https://gpsportsonline.com/Inventory...n=versys%20650

In the meanwhile, I'll get in touch with the folks in Sacramento too. I think we're getting closer to getting this done, thanks to everyone's good guidance. Damn, this feels so good.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM

Welcome, yes plenty of good rides here in Cali. I rode hwy 1 the week before they shut it down a couple of years ago . Got lucky I guess. I’m down the coast in Ventura and I’m also looking for another versys 650. Seems like there were more leftover models last year when I got mine , a 2016.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode