New member, from San Jose - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

New member, from San Jose

Hi All,

New member to the forum, although I've lurked and found lots of great info over the years. Thank you all for this forum.
I have a '09 Versys 650, purchased new. It's been a wonderful bike for 39*** miles.
Heated grips, a seat mod, and an R1 shock are about the only mods I've done.
Currently looking for info on converting the RR to a series type. I am still on the original RR & stator.

Thanks,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Welcome aboard. The question is, "Do you know the way?"

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...The question is, "Do you know the way?"
Mild warning - "Arion" is a bit of a sicko...!... but he IS 'our Maine man'...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Mild warning - "Arion" is a bit of a sicko...!... but he IS 'our Maine man'...!

Ah yes, many thanks my friend. It's not my fault really - I was dropped on my head when very young and it hasn't improved things over the years.
onewizard likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Polaris / Series Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Ah yes, many thanks my friend. It's not my fault really - I was dropped on my head when very young and it hasn't improved things over the years.
Just a FYI, the very first post, he had already PM me, I sent a PM/ link in the Member Only section, as he was in the process of upgrading using a 4012941 Polaris .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Just a FYI, the very first post, he had already PM me, I sent a PM/ link in the Member Only section, as he was in the process of upgrading using a 4012941 Polaris .
Thank you for the link, Onewizard. I found some great info in the members only section.
I have a Polaris VRR, and a Triumph harness on the way. Still trying to understand the headlight relay relation, and subsequent fix.

Eric
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Thank you for the link, Onewizard. I found some great info in the members only section.
I have a Polaris VRR, and a Triumph harness on the way. Still trying to understand the headlight relay relation, and subsequent fix.

Eric
Post in the member only section. I have probably over 50 comments on the same subject and thought I made it clear, however, the OEM regulator contains 6 rectifiers and a shunting device. The Polaris contains SCR's that are triggered by gate pulses and a built in voltage regulator. Since the OEM shunt regulator has all the electronics that regulate only active above the 14.5 to 15 VDC, the connection between the 3 phase wires going into the regulator and the positive terminal of the regulator, which is directly connected to the 30 amp main fuse and live all the time, has no path between the + positive and 3 phase wires. Why bring up 3 phase wires? Because 1 of the 3 phase wires has a tap to a diode which is part of the headlight automatic turn on circuit.
Because the Polaris is a far superior means of regulation it requires a compatible means of installing where shunt regulators existed before, the problem is the Polaris is dependent on a positive supply of roughly 8VDC to fire the gates of the SCR, keep in mind the number of terminals is exactly the same as the shunt. What happens is both the voltage regulator and gate signals come off the + positive and - negative DC output internally, since this regulator is also got internal connections between the 3 phase input and DC output, the automatic turn on headlight circuit is active 24/7 with the series regulator, I have stated before the coil circuit of the headlight relay draws roughly 35 milliamp , I have ways of dealing with this by adding a extra relay or connecting a jumper between pins 2 and 3 of the relay ( 3 actual options, only 2 that I recommend now, you will see photos of my bike running with the city lights on and no headlight, I added the Denalli so I am happy again).

Now that you have full membership go into the How to Forum. Here are some links

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...iscussion.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...5-trigger.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...e-trigger.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...fo-2017-a.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode