Hello - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crimson Apple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello

Hello
New to the site.
Been riding for bout a year but only now looking at gettin my own bike.
The bike I've been lookin at is the Versys 650, but the only issue I have is I'm short.
I stand at 5'3" with a 27" inseam.

My real question is how low can I get that 33" seat height on a 09 Versys 650?
Like low seat, lowering kit, and lowering the forks will drop it xxx"?

-K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read

As to lowering, I had a 07 and now a 2015, both lowered using a MotoWerk lowering link ( which includes lowering the forks to maximum lowering to maintain geometry ) , I have a 30 inch inseam , I can flat foot, I very much doubt with a 27" that you will ever be comfortable, there really isn't much more you can get out of the seat. My advice , look for a different bike, the Versys is very top heavy, especially after a fuel fill up.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have a 30 inch inseam , I can flat foot, I very much doubt with a 27" that you will ever be comfortable, there really isn't much more you can get out of the seat.
I do wear some pretty tall boots that does boost my height to 28-29"
So maybe I can get it to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
look for a different bike, the Versys is very top heavy, especially after a fuel fill up.
Do you have any recommendations?
I was looking at sport touring bikes
Due to the fact I have to drive bout 300mi round trip a couple times a month for my work.
So I need something that I could carry some gear on but also be comfortable driving for so far.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I'm K.
Been riding for bout a year now but just now lookin at pickin up my own bike. I thaught the Versys would be a great first choice.
I've ridden a sasuki chopper for the last year *puke*. It was ok but just been a cheap loaner my friend let me ride it wasn't anything great
I've also road 4 wheelers most of my life and a dirt bike a couple of times.
I've traveled the world and had a very eventful live, even at my young age, but now I'm settlin in with my fiance. We currently live in the Upper Midwest and here in a year or year and a half are movin down to Tennessee.

Thankz so much for takin the time to read this.
Blessed be

-K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f7b921180ec2e620188eccbc93a9c74b_1552752787781.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	162589  

Last edited by Kane Nacciw; 03-16-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Where in The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Nacciw View Post
I do wear some pretty tall boots that does boost my height to 28-29"
So maybe I can get it to work?

Due to the fact I have to drive bout 300mi round trip a couple times a month for my work.
So I need something that I could carry some gear on but also be comfortable driving for so far.
First describe where abouts in the world you are, there are a large number of members with lowered Versys.You might be able to T up and sit on one.

As my statement earlier and my experience, even 29" is touchy . One thing I can say, if your riding is long distance and mainly highway, little if any stop and go, it could be like when I learned to ride a bicycle, used the house steps to get going, the big difference, if you need to put your foot down on uneven terrain with a full tank of gas, 98% sure you and your bike are going down, which means you should get crash bars and follow posts about removing the metal retainer on the signal lights, yes my left side fairing got damaged 2 years ago, full tank, a bad phone call and inattention , coupled with making a wrong turn and more distraction , pulling a U turn and being in 2nd gear, stall and crash.
I don't have any recommendation, as I sold a 07 Versys and bought the 2015, before that I had a DRZ400S. I am sure someone will come along and give good advice. This is a extremely active forum.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Have you looked at the Honda CTX's? I owned one for 3 years and loved that bike! Took it many miles. Also, you may be able to find a brand new 2014-2018 dirt cheap at a local dealership! (They come in manual and DCT, naked and fairings). For a sport touring and a smaller motorcycle this would be a great starting point. They're very forgiving for relatively new riders yet very comfortable. You can dress them up any way you want. The CTX gives you a sporty feel as well as a cruiser feel when needed.

If you're looking for something faster and more powerful check out some Yamaha's.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage
LOL, short guy want to ride tall bike nothing wrong with that, would not recommend without the knowledge how to get on the bike like a 450XL dirt bike at stop light. I'm 5"6' and my v650 is lowered 4.5in all around I still tippy toe one side. Let me recommend Ninja 650 or Honda CBR 650R or FZ-07 or Vulcan 650 or Ninja 400 or YZF-600F or ninja 300 or Honda Super four 400
onewizard likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello
New to the site.
Been riding for bout a year but only now looking at gettin my own bike.
The bike I've been lookin at is the Versys 650, but the only issue I have is I'm short.
I stand at 5'3" with a 27" inseam.

My real question is how low can I get that 33" seat height on a 09 Versys 650?
Like low seat, lowering kit, and lowering the forks will drop it xxx"?

-K
You can get lowering blocks from motowerk to drop it 1.5". There are seats that will lower your 'butt' some, but not sure how much, or you can remove some of the foam - say about 1.5 to 2", so those TWO would be about 3". As well - you can get an aftermarket shock that will lower it, or a shorter spring, but I have no experience w/ either.

BTW - MY inseam is 30", and since I set my "sag" - while the bike is high when I'm getting ON, as my weight settles it down, I can sort of flat-foot it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
might as well get a ERN 6 which is also the same kawasaki and versys engine.
https://www.bikewale.com/kawasaki-bikes/er-6n/
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 AM

hi i am also new here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode