X 300 Member / Tires don't appears to be dual sport - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

X 300 Member / Tires don't appears to be dual sport

Tried new bike on gravel road and felt something weird slowing down for a turn. Got ABS model so tried using rear break in straight secdtion and it tuns out I triggered the ABS the first time. Does leave a trail when ABS kicks in. Tires don't seem to have much grip. Will need to change out tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Keep riding and the bike will come to you , give sometime for the bike and you to come together.

Keep option to change set up when you are sure that you will need one.

My 2cts thought.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 PM

OEM tires on the V650 are pretty bad imho. Marginal on pavement, downright bad on dirt.

I have Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 tires and they are much better at everything than the factory Dunlops. Some here have gone to full knobbies, others have gone to better street tires (e.g. Michelin Pilot Road 4). If you're going to be on loose surfaces such as gravel you will need something better than what came from the factory.t

Try airing down to about 28 psi off pavement. I've gone down to 26 without problem. If there are rough rocks then you may want to stay a bit higher so you don't dent the rim. I've never had an issue, though I ride more sedately off pavement, not like motocross. Lower pressure makes a big difference in traction on dirt. Carry a pump to air back up when you get back to pavement.
SteveJ likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Garage
All Versys is a sport touring not enduro, X-300 engine is not design to go on trail, v650 rim and functionality of ABS not meant for dirt, v1000 to bulky and heavy and no ABS off. Enduro bikes like BMW GS 1200, KLR 650, dirt bike with road lights and mirrors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Identify in Introduction / updated 2 posts

I edited both titles to reflect X300, keep in mind this forum now has 3 Versys models.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
Gravel is like riding on marbles so there isn't much grip. Natural dirt hard pack is much easier to ride on than gravel. There are different dual sport tires ranging from 90/10 On/off road to 90/10 Off/On road. You have to decide where you want your grip to be. Great off road tires will have you activating the ABS on road during more than gentle braking.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
OEM tires on the V650 are pretty bad imho. Marginal on pavement, downright bad on dirt....
On ALL THREE of my V650s I have used the OEM tires until they were worn out - my '08 had 10,008 MILES on the rear, 11,545 miles on the front, when they were changed, and I rode quite a few of those miles on dirt, not necessarily at WFO throttle...! (Records for the other two are up in the GREAT WHITE NORTH......)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode