Just traded in my Super Tenere for a 2019 X-300 non ABS - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Just traded in my Super Tenere for a 2019 X-300 non ABS

Greetings from New Hampshire. Like the Title says, today I traded in my 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere for a 2019 X-300 non ABS. As much as I really enjoyed my Super Tenere, I am 62 and I have the early signs of Parkinson's. The weight and seat height of my Super Tenere were starting to become a liability. The X-300 will allow me to continue riding, for how much longer, I do not know. I also intend to keep riding Vintage Trials on my '76 Yamaha TY175, and Hare Scrambles on my '83 Kawasaki KDX200. I also commute on my '86 Honda CH250 Scooter. I intend to use my Versys to commute, as well as doing weekend trips, and the occasional light off road adventure. I took my Super Tenere through technical terrain without too much trouble, so the lighter Versys should do better. At least I should be able to pick it up by myself! It seems that riding motorcycles is good therapy for me, both mentally and physically. When my mind and body are occcupied, I don't tremor! See you out there. Bob B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:05 PM

Bob - sorry to hear about your diagnosis but SO GLAD you're not letting it damper your riding spirits! Good for you and have a blast on your new X-300!
funflyingguy likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 PM

Garage
nice, thinking about getting 2019 Honda CBR 650R good price for nice bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-Honda-CBR-650R-15.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	162399  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Bob. Like your fighting sprite and keep riding till the illness in you run for cover. Trust you will have many more happy years of riding.
Krod and funflyingguy like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I have a 1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials bike in my stable. Me and my Buddies call it motorcycle yoga.

The first picture is at Barber Vintage Festival where I was a section judge. The second photo is my bike and my KLX250S
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smIMG_20131012_083414_927_zps46f81229.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	162407   Click image for larger version

Name:	KT compare to KLX.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	162409  
Fastoman and kballowe like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Garage
Welcome to the site. Let us know how you like the new bike.

so it goes...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Welcome !
And congratulations on your new bike !

Let us help you spend $$$ on "accessories"

funflyingguy likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I always liked the KT250. I have owned and ridden in Trials competition on a TL250, TL125, RL250, TLR200, and my current TY175. The Vintage Class at NETA(New England Trials Assoc) events ebbs and flows, numbers wise. I have won the Championship several times, but now I ride Trials just for fun, and do not bother getting scored. For me, riding is now reward enough. Bob
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Took Delivery Yesterday!

I rode my Super Tenere to the dealer yesterday to turn it in and pick up my 2019 X-300. Although I will miss the power and torque of the S10, I won't miss not being able to plant my feet on the ground at stops and the constant fear of tipping over. My new X-300 is a featherweight by comparison. I stopped to show my neighbor my new bike, and pulled a 6 point U-turn in his narrow driveway between 2 large snowbanks. No sweat! My X-300 has much less wind protection, which is very apparent when it's barely 40F outside, but that just gives me another item to modify to make the bike mine. First up is a skid plate and crash bars, then I'll see what else I can sneak by my wife. She won't let me have a redhead girlfriend, but bikes are OK. Bob
onewizard and Fly-Sig like this.

A Bad Day of riding is better than a good day at work
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1956 View Post
...She won't let me have a redhead girlfriend, but bikes are OK. Bob
Is she "good" w/ blondes...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Adding Photos

I took my new Versys for its first real ride today. Right away, I started missing upshifts because the shifter was too low. I did not really notice it on the ride home from the dealer riding with hiking boots on, but my riding boots made it hard to get under the shifter. Moving it up two splines made a world of difference. I started out on nice main roads and rowed through the gearbox, shifting up at 6K RPM's. Below that, engine does not pull well. I hafta keep reminding myself the engine is only a quarter the size of what I just came off of. Still fun, just more sedate.
I soon found myself on twisty secondary roads. The little bike feels well planted, and I can hold my line, even with frost heaves and potholes. Then the real fun began. It's mud season up here in New Hampshire, and like a moth to a flame, I found myself drawn to the mud. I can go faster over dirt and mud on my X-300 than I ever dared on my Super Tenere, even on stock tires. I kept the little engine spooled up over 6K RPM's, and was able to spin the rear wheel pretty much at will, having it step out on occasion. The limiting factor at that point becomes the suspension. It bottomed several times, prompting me to chop my speed on the rougher stuff. Standing was not much help, as I had to reach down to the bars, causing me to kinda squat. My back did not appreciate that at all. I think bar risers just moved up on the farkle list. At times, I wished I was on my 520 KTM EXC. That bike is stupid fast in rough stuff. I know; I'm comparing apples to oranges. Just sayin'.
I ordered a skid plate and crash bars directly from T-Rex. They have a package deal; $299 for the two. I watched the install videos on their site, and like what I saw. All in all, I think my Versys is a promising dance partner. Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Versys Mud.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	162525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mud2.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	162527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean Small.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	162529  

Last edited by bob1956; 03-14-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add Photos
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

one more pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mud Sign.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	162531  
andyj812 likes this.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 AM

Welcome
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1956 View Post
one more pic
hahahahahaha you didn't waste no time - getting out in the mud !

Make sure to come back with more off-road adventures (and pictures)

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM

Welcome aboard, Bob!

I'm 58 yrs old and had back surgery 16 months ago. Fully successful, but now I'm a bit more worried than I was about having to pick up my V650 if I drop it. I don't want to re-injure myself. I've considered on and off about getting a V300 either in addition to or as a replacement to my V650 for that reason.

Enjoy your new bike!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Getting to know my X300

I rode my X300 to work several times this week. I leave for my 19 mile ride on back roads at 6am, just before sunrise. The temp was in the high teens, and I quickly missed the larger windshield and heated grips I had on my Super Tenere. The stock shield on my X300 dumps the frigid air straight onto my neck and face. No more riding with my faceshield always open, and I stuffed a scarf around my neck. A pair of small Tusk gauntlets over the hand controls kept my fingers quite comfortable. I have ordered an MRA X-creen Sport spoiler to redirect the wind over my helmet. My T-Rex skid plate and crashbars arrived on Tuesday, so I got busy and installed them, after watching the videos again. The skid plate is well made, but I am concerned about the mounting hardware. It utilizes the mounting holes for the lower plastic engine shields, which are retained with no modifications, and a bracket from the front of the engine supports the part that protects the head pipes. None of the mounting hardware underneath is countersunk, which I hope does not become an issue. My X300 will see off road use.

Installing the crashbars requires removing both upper and lower fairing plastic on both sides. Not difficult, but you must take care pulling the plastic posts out of their grommets. To my surprise, several grommets came out with the posts. Some WD-40 should fix that. Although the video is good, neither it nor the printed instructions mention the 3 "pushpins" on the front edge on either side. They are not readily apparent, and the potential is there to cause damage. Using a bright light and a long, thin flathead screwdriver, I was able to easily pop them free from the inside. All of this is necessary to give you working room to replace the front engine bolt with a longer rod. This is the main mounting point for the crashbars. The video shows the new longer rod being used to drive out and replace the original bolt, and they make it look so simple. Well, as soon as the original bolt was driven out, my engine shifted slightly downward, causing the engine and frame holes to go out of alignment enough to prevent installing the new rod. In my youth, I probably would've gotten a bigger mallet and damaged the threads on both ends. Instead, I got out my floor jack and a rubber cushion, and slowly raised the engine that tiny bit required to align the holes. The new rod then slid in easily. I guess the engine really is a stressed member of the frame. The plastic then gets reinstalled, and the crashbars mounted up. Not too terribly difficult, and I really like having the added protection for tipovers. I'll bet the replacement plastic costs more than the crashbars.

It was getting dark by this point, and only then did I notice the temp had dropped below freezing. I like to work outside, so my neighbors can hear my colorful commentary, and my garage is kinda cluttered. Anyhow, I fired up the bike, and what's this? No headlight? What the heck? I did a quick check of the fuse and a few connections, but no luck. Dejected and frustrated, I pushed my bike into my garage and called it a night. My brilliant interim plan was to leave for work 30 minutes later in the morning, cuz the sun would be up. I had the dealer look at it last night, and they could not fix it, so I dropped it off tonight after work. I'll be riding my Honda 250 Elite scooter to work tomorrow.

I installed my R&G Tank pads last night. They look great, and totally cover the scratches from my mud excursion. I'll post pics of everything when I get my bike back. Ride Safe(ly), Bob
andyj812 likes this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I sat on a V650 last night, and it seemed as big and heavy as my Super Tenere did. I'm glad I went with the X300. I had forgotten the joys of a lightweight bike I can comfortably reach the ground on, and easily push out a parking spot. I can go just as fast as I want; it just takes a little longer to get up to speed. Bob
andyj812 likes this.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:04 PM

Garage
Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope the headlight is a quick fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 crf250L
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode