Just bought new to me 2015 650 LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 3 Post By mtucker436
  • 1 Post By Craigar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Just bought new to me 2015 650 LT

Just bought a 2015 Versys 650 LT in NC with 2,800 miles. I am going to fly down and ride it back. I had both a 2006 & 2012 V-Strom 650 and installed low seats on them and they were fine for me with stock suspension. (I am 5 8" with 29" inseam) I was wondering if I need to buy a lower seat and ship it down or will be fine with it as is. I am used to riding with one foot down. I also looked at the only low seat i found was Sargent 1" lower, any other options, any opinions on Sargent seats and other seats?
The other question is about wind buffeting, the first V-strom was awful until I installed an aftermarket windscreen, the second with as an adventure was good with the stock adjustable air foil. How is the stock Versys?
Any other tips?
Thanks,
MST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	162347  
turn8a, Devilsfan and brwster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Garage
First off, congratulations on your new bike to you. I think you should be fine with the seat height for the ride home. You may be on the balls of your feet. Just be mindful of how you load the bike for your return trip. I have the Sargent low and the heated touring seat. I prefer the low. It's also a bit narrower. I am guessing that lowering links may be in your future. The stock shield should serve you well for your trip. You'll get some wind, but the stock shield may work better for you than a taller rider. I have an aftermarket shield that i like. But this is an adventure. Give both tires a good visual inspection and watch tire pressures. Give the entire bike a good inspection. Check the oil level, Coolant, and Brake Fluid Levels. Give the chain a good lube. Check the chain slack and alignment. Make sure you have both keys for the bike, aftermarket top box, and the toolkit in case any minor repairs are needed. Tire repair kit is a must. Proper gear for your ride back. Im exhausted...In all seriousness, enjoy the bike, and have a safe, fun, adventurous journey.
Skypilot 69 likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Last edited by Craigar; 03-08-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Forgot a few things
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Garage

09 V650

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Welcome aboard!

The stock windshield is pretty good but not spectacular. You should be pretty ok riding home but may end up deciding to replace it. I put a Madstad on my 2015 and am very happy with it.

I have a regular Sargent seat and love it. The factory seat was really uncomfortable for me.

As to the height of the bike, it will settle lower with some weight on it. For your ride home put some weight in the luggage. I've never ridden the Vstrom so I can't compare how top heavy it feels. The V650 can feel top heavy, especially at first. I do notice the difference a full tank of gas makes in feeling top heavy at low speeds.

I am 5'10" with 30" inseam. I can't quite flat foot at a stop light, but close. My riding boots help compared to regular footwear, so my inseam is just right at the edge of being enough to flatfoot. So I think you'll be ok, at least safe to ride the bike home if not totally comfortable.

Seriously consider getting the ECU flashed. Shoodabenengineering dot com. You can read about it on several threads here, and it is everything people say it is. I'm not related to them in any way other than being a very satisfied customer.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read this
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:47 AM

Congrats on the new bike. I too have a green 2015 and love it.

You will quickly discover the Versys is more nimble and quicker handling than your Vstrom. The 17 inch front wheel and frame geometry being the main factors. You will also enjoy a much bigger selection of available tires for 17 inch wheels on the Versys. I had a KTM 1190 Adventure with a 19 inch front wheel just like your Vstrom. The available selection of 19 inch wheels is quite limited compared to 17 inch.

Suspension travel in very similar between the two bikes so the ride comfort should be comparable.

I did not care much for the stock windshield and went with the MRA touring. It made a significant difference in terms of both wind protection and helmet buffeting.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...indscreen.html

Regarding the stock seat, it is not too bad but there is room for improvement. Here is what I did to improve mine. It made a nice difference in comfort and all it cost was an hour of so of my time.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t-tune-up.html

Good luck with the new bike.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker436 View Post
...I was wondering if I need to buy a lower seat and ship it down or will be fine with it as is. I am used to riding with one foot down. I also looked at the only low seat i found was Sargent 1" lower, any other options, any opinions on Sargent seats and other seats?
The other question is about wind buffeting, the first V-strom was awful until I installed an aftermarket windscreen, the second with as an adventure was good with the stock adjustable air foil. How is the stock Versys?....
The major issue w/ the OEM seat is that you tend to slide into the gas tank, but THAT can be fixed w/ a small piece of scrap steel w/ two 1/4" holes in it, 12 = 1/4" washers, and two 6mmx45 bolts. I've ridden three V650s OVER 165,000 miles w/ that mod (raised the seat front about 9/16"). I rode my '15 650LT across Canada BOTH ways in '17 w/ the OEM windshield, and it worked FINE! (I'm 5'9", 30" inseam.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Ive got the lowered Sargent seat,very nice. I wish now I had of doled out an extra $150 for the heated option...oh well! That said,alot of folks do their own mod of the OEM seats with good results for a lot less. As far as lowering, the Motowerks system will lower it 1.5 inches,works good and along with the lowered seat will get you flatter foot. Bike rides nice with the lowered center of gravity,no problem there. Depends how much clearance you prefer for off road.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and advice, does my 2015 take the same seat as the earlier models?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:05 AM

Congrats on getting a Versys!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input and advice, does my 2015 take the same seat as the earlier models?
Yes!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
YES!

I have tried a Gen 3 ('15) seat onto a Gen 1 ('08), and they fit fine.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Bought new to me 2015 650 LT

Announced this on other area, but thought I would give more of an introduction here. I had a friend in NC look at a mint low mileage (2,800) 2015 Versys 650 LT. He bought it for me and now I have to get down to NC from NY when the weather is better and ride it back. There were some around here for more money with less stuff with it plus the bike has Kawasaki warranty until the end of 2020.

The Kawasaki warranty was very valuable when my 2009 Concours 14 warped the front brake rotors. I paid for new pads and Kawasaki paid for parts and labor for two new rotors. ($1,200) I had bought the C14 used and didn't think much about it, but since the warranty was transferable free I transferred it to me. Harley for example charges $50.00 to transfer warranty.

I have had two Suzuki V-Stroms, a 2005 rode it until 25,000 miles and sold it to buy a 2012 V-Strom with ABS. It was after reading here and on ADVrider.com that the redesigned Versys handled better than the V-Strom I decided to buy a Versys.

The V-Stroms and my 2005 DR650 have been great bikes with zero problems.

Thanks also for the great advice on the Versys.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 AM

Welcome
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Welcome.........I can't add anything to what's already been said. I took my 15' LT on a 4500 mile trip the first year after I got it and all was well (except I wore out the rear tire about mid-trip). Enjoy the ride.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode