Hi - New to the forum - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

16Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By PCX
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 3 Post By RR Jonny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hi - New to the forum

Hi all,

Just registered but have been lurking a bit. I am in the process of purchasing a 2018 Versys 650 LT (just learned the bags are crap from lurking). I am currently in China but will return to the states in May. It seems like you guys are pretty helpful, and I've learned a lot from lurking. I was going to get a KLR but decided on the Versys instead; I hope I made a decent decision. I have no plans of intense off-roading, and was told the Versys could handle gravel and dirt roads if set up with decent tires. It will be nice to be able to see and know what others are experiencing. Thanks - Jonny

Last edited by RR Jonny; 03-07-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have had bikes since about 2006, but haven't ridden much. I had a 750 Honda Shadow and currently have a Vulcan 900 classic. I didn't like riding in the city much, and I moved to the U.P. last year. My 2009 Vulcan only had 800 miles on it, so I decided to ride it more last year. This was the first year I actually enjoyed riding. There are a lot of dirt/gravel roads that I would like to explore, but I wasn't happy with the Vulcan on gravel. So, I am selling my boat and getting a new bike.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html please read.
RR Jonny likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks onewizard!

I have become comfortably numb.....

Jonny
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 PM
PCX

Welcome!
RR Jonny likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
RR Jonny likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=RR Jonny;1609031]Hi all,

Just registered but have been lurking a bit. I am in the process of purchasing a 2018 Versys 650 LT (just learned the bags are crap from lurking).

Ive got a 2015 LT with the OEM panniers and I beg to differ. I love the panniers. One key system, way to go. Locked up standalone or to the bike with the flick of a lever. The width design is integrated to the bike so you have room inside going in towards the tire instead of out. Can fit a helmut. So....26 litres each,maybe you want more. Maybe you want aluminium for strength off road. Maybe you want square for a big laptop or dont like the design at the rear which allows your rear lights to be seen from the side. Or maybe you want top loading instead of side. Personally,I like side. My left pannier is organized with all my road gear on the inside half so I dont have to dig from the top. But for me,they are on the bike always and work great for me. Each their own!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear fender.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	162333   Click image for larger version

Name:	my bike.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	162335  
andyj812 and RR Jonny like this.

Last edited by jaaklucas; 03-07-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM

[quote=jaaklucas;1609069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Jonny View Post
Hi all,

Just registered but have been lurking a bit. I am in the process of purchasing a 2018 Versys 650 LT (just learned the bags are crap from lurking).

Ive got a 2015 LT with the OEM panniers and I beg to differ. I love the panniers. One key system, way to go. The width design is integrated to the bike so you have room inside going in towards the tire instead of out. Can fit a helmut. So....26 litres each,maybe you want more. Maybe you want aluminium for strength off road. Maybe you want square for a big laptop or dont like the design at the rear which allows your rear lights to be seen from the side. Or maybe you want top loading instead of side. Personally,I like side. My left pannier is organized with all my road gear on the inside half so I dont have to dig from the top. But for me,they are on the bike always and work great for me. Each their own!
I agree and really like my OEM panniers. They're easy to remove and doesn't leave all the brackets that third party panniers do. It will hold my XXXL modular helmet just fine. I actually find myself still using them more often even than my added top box, as I like to keep the weight low for center of gravity. Like you said, to each his own, but the bags are certainly not crap!
RR Jonny likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...I was going to get a KLR but decided on the Versys instead; I hope I made a decent decision....
Quite a few of us came from KLR650s - GREAT choice!

Quote:
...I have no plans of intense off-roading, and was told the Versys could handle gravel and dirt roads if set up with decent tires....
"...gravel and dirt roads..." like THESE?

HERE'S a KLR "in the dirt"....

I've been told, once or twice - that you can't ride a Versys off pavement....

-
Fastoman and RR Jonny like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
(just learned the bags are crap from lurking)
I have no plans of intense off-roading, and was told the Versys could handle gravel and dirt roads if set up with decent tires. It will be nice to be able to see and know what others are experiencing.
Welcome aboard!

The shape of the bags is crap, but otherwise they're good. For me the shape is a significant problem. Around town I make grocery store runs or go out to a trail to hike. For work I carry several rectangular bags. The shape just is a problem and I wish I'd gone with aftermarket rectangular boxes. But structurally the OEM are good, they key to your ignition, and they mount/dismount super easily without having any rack system attached to the bike. For basic touring and camping the factory shape is ok, though I would still prefer rectangular. Note you can buy a 1 gallon red plastic fuel can made for Harleys that fit nicely into the shape of the factory Versys pannier. But otherwise the angular shape mostly creates problems for packing.

The factory top box is really good, but you can get the identical unit from Givi for less.

Tires. Yup the OEM tires suck especially on dirt. For basic dirt/gravel roads I have been very happy with Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Air down to about 28 or maybe a titch lower for looser surfaces. On pavement I run them at Kawi recommended pressures. These tires are 90/10, meaning 90% pavement 10% dirt. Superb on paved surfaces btw. You can go knobbier if you want but unless you'll be in sand, mud, or deep gravel you don't need knobbies. I've gotten about 6000 miles on mine and they are still looking pretty good. I will replace them with another set of the same.
RR Jonny likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
I love the panniers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I agree and really like my OEM panniers.
Good to hear there's some love for the panniers out there. Thanks fellas!

Jonny
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
:

Quite a few of us came from KLR650s - GREAT choice!

"...gravel and dirt roads..." like THESE?

I've been told, once or twice - that you can't ride a Versys off pavement....

-
Thanks! I do worry about the choice. They have a lot of fire roads in the U.P., and roads to camp grounds or parks are sometimes not the best. I don't plan on doing any bushwhacking, so hopefully I'll be OK. No disrespect for the KLR. Yup - similar to those roads.

Jonny
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Welcome aboard!

The shape of the bags is crap, but otherwise they're good.

The factory top box is really good, but you can get the identical unit from Givi for less.

Tires. Yup the OEM tires suck especially on dirt. For basic dirt/gravel roads I have been very happy with Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Air down to about 28 or maybe a titch lower for looser surfaces. On pavement I run them at Kawi recommended pressures. These tires are 90/10, meaning 90% pavement 10% dirt. Superb on paved surfaces btw. You can go knobbier if you want but unless you'll be in sand, mud, or deep gravel you don't need knobbies. I've gotten about 6000 miles on mine and they are still looking pretty good. I will replace them with another set of the same.
Thanks! Been thinking about a top case and tires as well. Still have a lot to learn, and will dig further into options. Thanks again!

Jonny
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If I missed you in the quoted messages, thanks for the welcome.

Jonny
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Experience / $$$

[quote=jaaklucas;1609069]
Quote:
Hi all,

Ive got a 2015 LT with the OEM panniers and I beg to differ. I love the panniers. One key system, way to go. Locked up standalone or to the bike with the flick of a lever. The width design is integrated to the bike so you have room inside going in towards the tire instead of out. Can fit a helmut. So....26 litres each,maybe you want more. Maybe you want aluminium for strength off road. Maybe you want square for a big laptop or dont like the design at the rear which allows your rear lights to be seen from the side. Or maybe you want top loading instead of side. Personally,I like side. My left pannier is organized with all my road gear on the inside half so I dont have to dig from the top. But for me,they are on the bike always and work great for me. Each their own!
I can tell you I have had 3 friends, 2 with the Versys and 1 with a Ninja, with those bags, they all expressed frustration . The one with the Versys could not get his helmet in the case, the one with the Ninja showed up at my place with his service manual, minus the ring binder, because it wouldn't fit, a bit embarrassed as he almost dropped some pages. I owned a 07 Versys that had the Givi 35 cases, try opening the kick stand side without something falling out. I purchased the Trekker cases from Twisted Throttle , absolutely love them, they are tough enough that I have gone down at 20 KM/HR in deep gravel, just a few minor scratches, with the bike resting fully on the case, try that with the OEM cases, if in doubt have a look at Fasteddie post.
The second thing, the Trekker cases open suitcase style or top, absolutely love them.

Givi 35

Trekker cases take 15 seconds to remove

Notice the cross brace on the mounting, yes the opposite side helps to support should you crash, try that on the OEM

My case kickstand side with the prop stand in bubble wrap near the top,( opened using top opening instead of suitcase style, notice the anchor style latch inside, used to switch opening style) my left side is used for my tire repair & tools, chain lube, compressor , stop and go, wrenches, gloves and rags, fuses, owners manual,led extension light ( 10 feet long) with cigarette lighter plug, socket on left is live all the time and fused at 25 amp.

Prop stand is 15 inches of square aluminum tubing , I keep my 100 LB & 50 LB wire ties inside ( my 1/2 X 3.5 stainless bolt for front tire use) of the bubble wrap, , which also keeps the case inside from getting worn .

Prop stand in use on rear, am also able to use on the front right fork and get the tire off the ground for plugging, using a 1/2 X 3.5 ' stainless steel bolt with a stainless fender washer welded onto the inside head of the bolt.

One last thing, wait until you break a ignition key off in your OEM cases and see how happy you are with the system, trust me, been in the rain many times, went to open the one side and noticed the key was hard to turn, the Trekker keys are really beefy, just a bit of graphite and good to go again.

Like you said, each to their own, just thought I would throw my $0.02 in C/W photos.
RR Jonny likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 03-11-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Keys! So here is something ALL of our forum members should know. Shortly after I had my 2016 LT for a few months I was half way through a 250 mile loop when my gas light went on. I pulled into a gas station to fill up. I was horrified when the key almost bent off when opening my gas cap! Fortunately, I was in a small town where the gas station actually still had a service garage and after finally getting the bent key out of the gas cap, we were able to straighten the key enough to gas up and complete my trip.

When I got home, instead of going to a hardware store for a new key, I went to an old time locksmith. Guy says "yep, this is a frequent complaint about Japanese bikes" . He had strong blanks that are made by ILCO. Model number is KA34. No bent key problems anymore!

onewizard and RR Jonny like this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

aboard. Have original kawa side case on my 09 and no complaints whatsoever. Have done cross country tours and they still hold good with all the load in it.

Maybe the latest models are aerodynamically design which take away storage space.
RR Jonny likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies! It appears that I will be needing to get some keys made....that's a must IMO. Regarding the panniers; Sine I have already put the money down on the LT, it looks like the Kawasaki panniers are going to be what I start with. I don't want to cause a stir, and I do appreciate all of the feedback. This whole ordeal of getting a new bike and being on a forum is both exciting and overwhelming. I am excited about riding again, but there is so much information in forums that you can end up down a rabbit hole pretty quickly. I'm in China and super bored, so I've been doing a lot of research. It's good to dream, but I think I need to touch the bike to actually figure out what I am going to do. One thing for sure is that I will be picking your brains to do the best I can. I can't cry over spilled milk with the panniers, and I am not going to be too hard on myself for making my decision. I'll run what I brung for a while and upgrade if needed. Thanks!
onewizard, Fly-Sig and jaaklucas like this.

Jonny
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! It appears that I will be needing to get some keys made....that's a must IMO. Regarding the panniers; Sine I have already put the money down on the LT, it looks like the Kawasaki panniers are going to be what I start with. I don't want to cause a stir, and I do appreciate all of the feedback. This whole ordeal of getting a new bike and being on a forum is both exciting and overwhelming. I am excited about riding again, but there is so much information in forums that you can end up down a rabbit hole pretty quickly. I'm in China and super bored, so I've been doing a lot of research. It's good to dream, but I think I need to touch the bike to actually figure out what I am going to do. One thing for sure is that I will be picking your brains to do the best I can. I can't cry over spilled milk with the panniers, and I am not going to be too hard on myself for making my decision. I'll run what I brung for a while and upgrade if needed. Thanks!
Put your hands on the bike and all will come to your end and don't worry on the side case..they are not that bad and pretty sure it will meet you ends. Who knows, you might actual like the side case.

Super bored in China, i was there once and i know how you feel. best to bury yourself in your work.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 AM

thanks I am also new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode