new to site and to the versys (soon...) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By funflyingguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
new to site and to the versys (soon...)

hi all...

i'm jim. live in the mentor, ohio area. i'm a very long time rider and currently own a yamaha FJR. hopefully it sells soon and i can pick up my new 2018 verysys 1000LT from not too far away canton, ohio. i've read good things about this bike and hope to hear some good ideas about to best upgrade it.

before the FJR which i've had about 18 months now, i had a vstrom 1000 for over 8 years. loved it and it shortcomings. wanted to get back to that type of bike and the versys seems to be it.

so point me at the right forums for info. i think i have to post here for a few before i can contribute to the regular forums and topics.

so hi all.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thank you neighbor!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Garage
Welcome! I also came over from an FJR. Good luck with your sale.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Traded my 07 FJR in on a 2016 V-1K.........

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 PM

And KEEP the FJR!!! (Love those bikes!)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My previous bike was an 06 FJR. I now have a Versys 650 and still miss the FJR for it's speed and comfort. But for commuting like I do, the Versys is a better fit.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
hi craigar, weljo2001;

why did you guys switch from the FJR to the versys?

(for me, the weight of the FJR just came into play too much for my liking. its a daily commuter for me, with few or no trips taken or planned...)

... or did you find something outstanding about the versys?

..... jim
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyingguy View Post
hi craigar, weljo2001;

(for me, the weight of the FJR just came into play too much for my liking. its a daily commuter for me, with few or no trips taken or planned...)

..... jim

I had a 09 Versys 650 which suited me because i had bad knees and hip so the taller bikes worked for me. I got tired of waiting for the V-1K to come to the states so i picked up a lightly used 07 FJR in January of 2014. Then the V-1K comes out here in 2015. I like the FJR but it was never comfortable with my knees and hip. So i traded it in on the 2016 V-1K in July of 2016....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
hi craigar, weljo2001;

..... jim

I loved the FJR. But the Versys ergonomics are a much better for me. Plus I am prone to hip cramps. Try holding a bike steady when both hip flexors are spasming. So the lighter weight and better ergonomics won me over. I still have the storage and fuel capacity to take long trips if I want. You get used to reduced power coming from an FJR. Took me about 6 weeks. Now I have an absolute blast, blazing through the twisties.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i have some of the same comfort issues on the FJR as well as slow speed maneuvering. have sore knees and a replacement left hip that gets sore.

another question for you: i installed lowering links on my DL1000 (vstrom) so i could get my toes comfortably on the ground. fortunately, i didnt have to shorten my sidestand. figuring i may need to do the same with the versys. any suggestions or thoughts about doing this for the versys?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
i have some of the same comfort issues on the FJR as well as slow speed maneuvering. have sore knees and a replacement left hip that gets sore.

another question for you: i installed lowering links on my DL1000 (vstrom) so i could get my toes comfortably on the ground. fortunately, i didnt have to shorten my sidestand. figuring i may need to do the same with the versys. any suggestions or thoughts about doing this for the versys?
Far more qualified folks on here to comment. In short (no pun intended) yes, quite a few have with good results. I would suggest you do a search on lowering links. You should find some great content. Not sure how tall or the inseam that you have to be more specific. I also have a corbin low profile seat. Its a little narrower and drops the seat height down. Which also provides surprisingly good comfort.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
Quote:

You can get a lowering kit plus other goodies from MotoWerk....https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000

I have most of MotoWerk products on my bike...
funflyingguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
good stuff there. thank you...
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode