New member with Kawasaki Versys chain problems - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member with Kawasaki Versys chain problems

Hi all,

I am living in Thailand and riding an Kawasaki Versys since 2011. And I love it ..... well there is one thing I do not like an that is the chain.

At 22.780km I had to replace the DID 520 SP2 chain that comes standard with the bike. The bikes sold here are made in Thailand and also the DID chain in made in Thailand. I replaced chain & sprockets. I replaced it with and OEM chain bought at the local Kawasaki dealer, again an DID 520 SP2.

At 31.450km (less as 10k!) I will have to replace the chain again. Mind you both chains are NOT worn-out but have frozen links. This is not normal!

So is it just me? No, I now know 3 other Versys riders that have exactly the same problem. Just recently my friend had to replace his chain after 4500km!!

So what is the problem? Bad quality DID chain? Fake chain sold by Kawasaki? Design fault at the Versys? Assembly fault at the Versys?

I post this here because I am wondering if there are chain problems with the Versys world-wide. Or does the Versys outside Thailand come with an other (better) chain? My service manual shows that Japanese build Versys is sold with an EK chain (made in Japan).

So what are your experiences with the chain on your Kawasaki Versys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Re: New member with Kawasaki Versys chain problems

Perhaps a silly question, but do you lubricate the chain regularly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Hahahah you sound like the Kawasaki Dealer ...
Did you clean & lube the chain?
Did you use the correct lube?
Did you adjust the chain?
And that all while they are still insisting there is nothing wrong with the chain. They do not hear, feel or see the frozen links.

But yes I took care of the chain, the second one even better as the first one. And as I said I know 3 other Versys riders who have the same problem ... actually I know from 2 more people that have the same problems.

But it is not about my own problem .... I was wondering how much KM other Versys rider do with their chain and what brand name chain that is?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM

Garage
I am from Malaysia and my bike came from the Thailand assembly plant as well. Its a well known fact the the chain used is not good quality. We have so many riders here who changed the chains as early as 8000 km. Since its under warranty, they just take the replacement. After that the next change it so Japan made EK chains and so on.

Personally I had to change my chain at 13000 km with lots of dead joints and missing O rings. Change to the Japan made EK chains and now after 10K, all links are still moving and so on.

Change to Japan made chains, they are worth it.

Note : Do you know you have to lubricate the chain when its hot so that the lube can go into all the crevices of the chain due to the expanded metal. Just to share...a newbie learning here also... ....Cheers.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nothing , but just plain quality problem with the Chain you are using. Get original Japan made EK or DID chain. You can get it across the boarder at Malaysia.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I have a 2008 (40,000 miles) and an '09 (approx. 20,000 kms). BOTH are on their ORIGINAL chains (the '08 on its SECOND front sprocket and with the rear sprocket REVERSED). The ONLY lube on BOTH is WD40, VERY regularly.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Those 08 and 09 are Japanese made right?
And what kind of chain are you using?
Maybe it is an Versys problem instead of an chain problem?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM

I'm newbie too. I had my 2012 Versys for nearly a year. Total 3 chains replacement. Total ODO is 11k plus. Stock DID chain lasted for around 9k. Then change to DID 520. It only lasted for one ride (around 1k). After that I change to Regina. But same result...now very confusing and no answer to the problem!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

MIGHT be a mis-aligned chain...? Maybe try aligning it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Chain alignment tool, your moto mechanic should have one. So should the owner.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0048/

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 PM

The one time I've had a chain issue is when I over tightened the chain. There should be 3cm of chain slack. The rear wheel should be aligned too. You can use string. There are youtube videos that will show you how.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Improper slack is a good point... A chain to tight will wear it out VERY quickly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 PM

chain problem

hi i have the same problem on my 2013 versys bought new in may fitted scot oiler from new the chain lasted 15.000 miles then the replacement did xring chain only lasted 3.000 miles when a lot of links was seized up and most of the x rings had swollen up or popped out only on the left side of the chain i didnt use the scott oiler on the new chain just normal chain lube everday i have seen a lot of people on the other versys forum having the same problem .
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM

It sounds like chain quality issue. I highly doubt it's a Versys problem.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 AM

Garage
18,000 km no problems at all with the chain
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 AM

Is there a cure/treatment for a single "frozen" link? My '08 with approximately 22000 miles still has the original chain & sprockets. At least I think they are the original (i'm the 3rd owner.) The sprockets still look very good, both front and rear. I have noticed as I spin the rear wheel to apply the lube that there is one link which seems to pop as it spins on the rear sprocket. I'm thinking that ONE is frozen. So is there something I can to to UN-freeze that link?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Put in another masterlink. Use a rivet style.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
The one time I've had a chain issue is when I over tightened the chain. There should be 3cm of chain slack. The rear wheel should be aligned too. You can use string. There are youtube videos that will show you how.
Correct me if l'm wrong anyone, but should 1/2 inch chain slack not be measured with the rider sitting on the bike????
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 AM

From the factory service manual, "Check the slack with the motorcycle setting on its sidestand." Slack 25 - 35mm, 1.0 - 1.4 in.

A chain the is a little too loose won't hurt anything. A chain that is too tight will die a quick death.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Correct me if l'm wrong anyone, but should 1/2 inch chain slack not be measured with the rider sitting on the bike????
Mick - you're wrong. As per my manual: 1 to 1.4" slack, on the stand.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode